McMorrow922

Enchemendia

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

Not just the history books but how a school allowed a student who was not eligible to appear one day out of nowhere and become eligible to not just be a student, but also to participate in athletics.  I can think of several problems that could arise if he is found out to eb older than he claims.  If people didn't lose their jobs over it I would be very surprised.  

I agree that it’s a mess for AZ education and high school athletics and as I said it will be difficult for the state to untangle but I don’t think it affects his ability to go to and compete at an NCAA school. There’s no age limit, and both the league and the academic institutions have standards and controls over admissions and eligibility.

1 hour ago, PinFallRecruit said:

NCAA certification process does care if he attended college in Cuba. If he has already attended a college full-time, then any ACT/SAT tests he takes now couldn't be used towards eligibility. His clock and whatnot would also be affected as well.

NCAA academic requirements have nothing to do with college requirements. Some schools are higher and some are lower.

Assuming that Echemendia would be treated as a foreign national, even though he defected from Cuba and graduated from hs in AZ, when does the eligibility clock start for an international transfer student? Honest question, bc I always thought that unlike US high school students who have a calendar year from having graduation to enroll, international students’ clock starts when they register and certify with the NCAA.

Also NCAA academic requirements are very often a subset of a university’s requirements at the D1 level - 2.3 GPA for their  non-elective core and an SAT/ACT minimum score on a sliding scale. I believe a schools used to get around this by applying for a waiver that allows them to offer athletes tutoring and extra academic support, but now I think NCAA (at least for D1) lets these kids enroll and academic redshirt/take summer or online courses until they’ve met the minimums.

To answer the original question... What I've heard is that he hasn't been accepted into Ohio State, he needs higher TOEFL and SAT scores than what he has, and it's looking like more of a longshot to get him in there. He's living with his girlfriend near Ann Arbor, so he's currently training with the Cliff Keen Wrestling Club for the next few months while trying to sort out all of his admissions stuff.

Hate to propose a rich getting richer scenario, but can’t help but wonder if he’s not better suited to working on what he needs to work on to get eligible for WCAP, instead of university to wrestle folk. Plenty of potential for life after competing through that program.  And the tie in with NLWC. 

18 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I'm looking at it as more of an issue of fraud.  If somebody involved with the Sunnyside wrestling program knew he wasn't eligible, be it because of his age or because he had already finished high school, and either lied for him or told him how to lie in order to be able to attend school there, then the implications not just for wrestling but for the school and district are pretty bad.  Like if they do discover his real age then there should be some consequences because I guarantee you that one of the coaches knew the truth and either didn't tell anyone or shared the information with others but didn't think they would get caught.  If they didn't fire the wrestling coaches there immedietly if they found this out and possibly the athletic director too, then they are basically saying they don't care about the rules.  The Arizona Interscholastic Association would probably make them forfeit all of their wins as a team and their state championship.  Also if this comes to pass as true, his age or whatever, then in the absence of him being on a religious mission or military service, I'm not sure he would be eligible for D1 anymore, if he was born in 1995.  He honestly should just find a small D2 or NAIA school and go there.  He came here and got himself in the spotlight and now there are legitimate questions about his age and his prior academics.  If he had just gone to a small college or something, then I guarantee you nobody would have dug into his story and background.  

This right here.......anybody anywhere close to AZ can look back through their history and find that there is suspicious dare I say "recruitment" of wrestlers. Been going on a long time and I suspect back east in wrestling mecca world it is probably common place activity! Sunnyside year in and out is power house for AZ standards and regularly their kids have to take care of academic issues prior to being accepted due to college requirements.

Sunnyside....great at wrestling.....not so great at taking care of academics.

2 hours ago, Panther78 said:

This right here.......anybody anywhere close to AZ can look back through their history and find that there is suspicious dare I say "recruitment" of wrestlers. Been going on a long time and I suspect back east in wrestling mecca world it is probably common place activity! Sunnyside year in and out is power house for AZ standards and regularly their kids have to take care of academic issues prior to being accepted due to college requirements.

Sunnyside....great at wrestling.....not so great at taking care of academics.

Like RBY's biological father.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:36 AM, TripNSweep said:

It'd show he graduated high school several years ago, if he even went that is.  He's from a small rural place in Cuba, and even though they're communist, not everybody really adheres to compulsory education.  But the real issue is the language barrier, because when he was in AZ he really didn't speak English outside of a couple of words.  I'm sure he's learned plenty by now, but English is a difficult language for foreigners, my girlfriend's 3rd or 4th language is English and even she makes mistakes.  She says Korean is easier. 

Spanish is an Indo-European language.  Korean is not. There are little to no relationship between Korean and English.  There is a great deal in  Indo-European languages.  With less than 2000 hours of English language training he can have a very high level of fluency.  Doing well in a Big Ten college academic areas may be something different.  It all depends on his academic/intellectual abilities, something none of us know anything about.

4 hours ago, MrBurns said:

To answer the original question... What I've heard is that he hasn't been accepted into Ohio State, he needs higher TOEFL and SAT scores than what he has, and it's looking like more of a longshot to get him in there. He's living with his girlfriend near Ann Arbor, so he's currently training with the Cliff Keen Wrestling Club for the next few months while trying to sort out all of his admissions stuff.

Makes since, I was going to say I wonder if Michigan is trying to do some recruiting w/ him, but if he can’t get into Osu, he won’t be able to get into Michigan. 

15 minutes ago, McMorrow922 said:

Makes since, I was going to say I wonder if Michigan is trying to do some recruiting w/ him, but if he can’t get into Osu, he won’t be able to get into Michigan. 

He won't be able to get into Penn State either in that case.  Maybe Rutgers or Iowa?

2 hours ago, leshismore said:

Spanish is an Indo-European language.  Korean is not. There are little to no relationship between Korean and English.  There is a great deal in  Indo-European languages.  With less than 2000 hours of English language training he can have a very high level of fluency.  Doing well in a Big Ten college academic areas may be something different.  It all depends on his academic/intellectual abilities, something none of us know anything about.

My girlfriend speaks 3 languages fluently and spoke Korean before she spoke English.  She can get by in Spanish, French or Italian reasonably well, at least enough to understand what somebody is saying.  She also studied linguistics in school.  She says that Korean is easier to learn because the alphabet is simple and because the way the words are structured isn't like a lot of the romance languages that have gender pronouns.  Maybe she's just extraordinarily gifted with Korean, I have no idea since I don't know about the language other than what she tells me.  But the way she speaks of learning it, it sounds like she had an easier time with it than learning English.  Her base language is fairly terrifying to hear though haha.  

Edited by TripNSweep

Just now, leshismore said:

She seems incredibly talented. So her first language is Korean but she knows some of these other languages. Impressive. 
She is also correct about Korean which uses a clear phonetic alphabet. 
Thanks for the clarification. 

Korean is her 2nd language.  Her first language is actually Euskadi, which to save you the trip of Googling it, and forgive me if I'm repeating something you already know, is the language of the Basque people which predates Indo-European languages but sounds similar to Spanish.  It's kind of an outlier among the European language families and is slowly on the decline, but that is her first language.  She learned Korean because she had planned to go to art school there but ended up not going and eventually coming to the US.  People here think she's Mexican which she finds amusing to no end.  

I have heard through the grapevine that tOSU is not counting on him enrolling. They would love to have him, but there seems like there could be too many obstacles to overcome. 

I did not see too many recruits going to the Buckeyes next year, so they could be holding a scholarship for him but I don't know.