Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Cisero

PSU vs Opponent / Iowa Vs Opponent / TheMat.Com

Recommended Posts

I don’t ever recall when there were back to back PSU vs Opponent and Iowa vs Opponent matches televised on the same day. As someone who prefers watching the match as opposed to watching the match while simultaneously contributing to this board, it was interesting to read what others were saying about these two teams between breaks and TV commercials.

One main take-away for me, and it’s without question – most of the guys that run this forum love Iowa and truly despise PSU, and it’s as obvious as the day is long.

Man more than ever, I really hope PSU pulls this off in March.  Just sitting back and reading the comments from you ardent Iowa-can-do-no-wrong fans after PSU takes home another title would be worth the price of admission!

Edited by Marcus Cisero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I don’t ever recall when there were back to back PSU vs Opponent and Iowa vs Opponent matches televised on the same day. As someone who prefers watching the match as opposed to watching the match while simultaneously contributing to this board, it was interesting to read what others were saying about these two teams between breaks and TV commercials.

One main take-away for me, and it’s without question – most of the guys that run this forum love Iowa and truly despise PSU, and it’s as obvious as the day is long.

Man more than ever, I really hope PSU pulls this off in March.  Just sitting back and reading the comments from you ardent Iowa-can-do-no-wrong fans after PSU takes home another title would be worth the price of admission!

You sure about that? Based on what?

Edited by Back.Points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iowa has been a target from the day Gary Kurdlemeier took over the program. He recruited Dan Gable and the rest is history.

A winner - and many don't like a winner. Not a winner that destroys most everyone else - not just beats them.

Since Gable so many Iowa beat have had a measure of revenge. Nothing quite like beating the Squawkeyes, no matter the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Iowa has been a target from the day Gary Kurdlemeier took over the program. He recruited Dan Gable and the rest is history.

A winner - and many don't like a winner. Not a winner that destroys most everyone else - not just beats them.

Since Gable so many Iowa beat have had a measure of revenge. Nothing quite like beating the Squawkeyes, no matter the year.

Iowa fans are like yankee fans, try to have a educated discussion and they just end up talking about championships from 15 years before half of us were born.Head and shoulders worse then any other teams fans.

i check around on the team forums every now and then, BWI, HR, Rutgers page,Ohio state and the stuff you read on HR will literally lower your IQ, I mean every team has there annoying fans but I’ve never seen a fan base so unapologetically biased, and disrespectful to anyone that has a different opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Iowa fans are like yankee fans, try to have a educated discussion and they just end up talking about championships from 15 years before half of us were born.Head and shoulders worse then any other teams fans.

i check around on the team forums every now and then, BWI, HR, Rutgers page,Ohio state and the stuff you read on HR will literally lower your IQ, I mean every team has there annoying fans but I’ve never seen a fan base so unapologetically biased, and disrespectful to anyone that has a different opinion 

It’s probably because you already have a bias against them. I read all message boards and see the same stuff on each and every one of them from all different fanbases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mpchillin said:

It’s probably because you already have a bias against them. I read all message boards and see the same stuff on each and every one of them from all different fanbases. 

Agreed. I will say HR probably has more trolls from other teams that any of the other team boards. So they’re always dealing with that. That effects the interactions you see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t really have a dog in the fight, but I don’t get the impression that people here love Iowa and hate PSU. If anything, Iowa gets more pot shots towards them here than any other team. 
 

BUT the Iowa fans here are by and far away the most sensitive as a group. You can’t form an impartial opinion about an Iowa wrestler without setting at least one of them off. Think an iowa wrestler was stalling? Get ready for 6 pages of arguing about what stalling is and how the universe aligns and how gravitational pull in CHA effects Iowa wrestlers shoes so they are actually moving more than it seems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The “impartial opinions” are just pot shots though. 

Look at last nights Minnesota match thread - as it devolves into a tired ADS/RBY thread.

I know I won’t change anybody’s opinions, but the college logo on mine or anybody else’s polo, doesn’t make them inherently different people....*

 

 

 

*Except the Cyclone logo :-)

 

Edited by Back.Points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Back.Points said:

The “impartial opinions” are just pot shots though. 

Look at last nights Minnesota match thread - as it devolves into a tired ADS/RBY thread.

 

Sometimes yes, but not always. There’s been many threads where someone has made a reasonable claim like “Marinelli seemed to be stalling in that position” or “seems like Iowa ducked there” that have turned into pages and pages of arguing. 
 

But I do agree the desanto/RBY threads got derailed with Iowa/desanto getting crapped on quite a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mpchillin said:

It’s probably because you already have a bias against them. I read all message boards and see the same stuff on each and every one of them from all different fanbases. 

No bias here at all – just providing an objective opinion based on what my own eyes have seen here over the last few years. I’m in PSU’s corner all the way for many reasons, but I’m also a fan of Iowa (especially since half of their team is from here) and many other teams with inspiring coaches and talented wrestlers. To be so narrow minded and laser in on only one team is simply not exciting to me. Last evening it was so blatant by the multi 1000 reply / point kings, leaders or whatever their called that I felt compelled to start a thread about it. Man, even the referee was fair game. I’ve seen this particular referee at many PA state tournaments over the years and this guy is one of the best. There’s no way he’s calling stalling for one side and not the other as others claimed. Totally ridiculous.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mpchillin said:

It’s probably because you already have a bias against them. I read all message boards and see the same stuff on each and every one of them from all different fanbases. 

I don’t have a specific bias against anyone one team, that’s a narrow minded way of following  such a unique sport, I personally love Spencer Lee, and have rooted for plenty of Hawkeyes like Gilman,clark , perry , Marion, hell I even went to a camp at Iowa back in the day. I’m just making an observation that to many Iowa fans Iowa can do not wrong and just attack someone else’s opinion when they disagree, it literally happens on here all the time, and HR all about how great Iowa is and how everyone are a bunch of s**mbags
 
as for penn state and BWI I feel like they are the complete opposite ,now that they’ve won for a little bit I see a lot of people on there just straight up trashing there own guys who are struggling like Sheed, or a guy like Pipher which is ridiculous to me, bc these guys regardless of struggles are better then 98% of the guys posting on the board ever dreamed of being 

I think most of the “top” teams fan bases are ridiculous but Iowa fans take it over the top with some stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Iowa fans are like yankee fans, try to have a educated discussion and they just end up talking about championships from 15 years before half of us were born.Head and shoulders worse then any other teams fans.

i check around on the team forums every now and then, BWI, HR, Rutgers page,Ohio state and the stuff you read on HR will literally lower your IQ, I mean every team has there annoying fans but I’ve never seen a fan base so unapologetically biased, and disrespectful to anyone that has a different opinion 

Strongly disagree.  I’m not a fan of either (I guess I’d say Rutgers if I had to pick) but have been posting a bit on HR/BWI recently and I think HR is far more knowledgeable.   They do seem to be a bit triggered at times, but that’s probably because they do have a lot of PSU trolls.  BWI is boring most of the time IMO, it’s just a bunch of “rah rah, I trust in Cael” for the most part and definitely seems to be more of an echo chamber.   I think that’s why there are few diehard PSU fans here, as most of them want to be surrounded by their own IMO.  So kudos to Tbar and the few others that do post here. 

I think there is certainly a bit of an anti-PSU bias here which I am guilty of but I think it’s mostly because they have been so good and people want to root for the underdog.  And although Iowa is the favorite this season, there are probably a lot of people considering them somewhat of the underdog because they want them to end PSU’s run.   I certainly haven’t noticed much of an overall pro-Iowa tone here though IMO.

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both fanbases can be pretty bad, bc they’re just diehard fans, but some are also trolls coming out of the woodwork. If you disregard posts coming from new accounts created less than 2 weeks ago or with like < 50 rep, the discussions somewhat normalize. I mean the biases are still there but at least you know the takes are coming from actual fans and followers of the teams, and not troublemakers or any of Jimmy C’s new identities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I don’t ever recall when there were back to back PSU vs Opponent and Iowa vs Opponent matches televised on the same day. As someone who prefers watching the match as opposed to watching the match while simultaneously contributing to this board, it was interesting to read what others were saying about these two teams between breaks and TV commercials.

One main take-away for me, and it’s without question – most of the guys that run this forum love Iowa and truly despise PSU, and it’s as obvious as the day is long.

Man more than ever, I really hope PSU pulls this off in March.  Just sitting back and reading the comments from you ardent Iowa-can-do-no-wrong fans after PSU takes home another title would be worth the price of admission!

Whatever troll boy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I don’t ever recall when there were back to back PSU vs Opponent and Iowa vs Opponent matches televised on the same day. As someone who prefers watching the match as opposed to watching the match while simultaneously contributing to this board, it was interesting to read what others were saying about these two teams between breaks and TV commercials.

One main take-away for me, and it’s without question – most of the guys that run this forum love Iowa and truly despise PSU, and it’s as obvious as the day is long.

Man more than ever, I really hope PSU pulls this off in March.  Just sitting back and reading the comments from you ardent Iowa-can-do-no-wrong fans after PSU takes home another title would be worth the price of admission!

Sigh. It took me a few months to figure this msg board out too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

One main take-away for me, and it’s without question – most of the guys that run this forum love Iowa and truly despise PSU, and it’s as obvious as the day is long.

Haha once again, you can count on Marcus finding a way to make himself a victim at the hands of Hawkeye fans. 

I dont hate PSU. I appreciate the skill and talent. I thought it was pretty clear that out of every team, it was tOSU that I despised.

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Man, even the referee was fair game. I’ve seen this particular referee at many PA state tournaments over the years and this guy is one of the best. There’s no way he’s calling stalling for one side and not the other as others claimed. Totally ridiculous.

Are we just going to pretend that every dual in carver is criticized with multiple posts and threads about the Hawkeyes having the Referee in their pocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Haha once again, you can count on Marcus finding a way to make himself a victim at the hands of Hawkeye fans. 

I dont hate PSU. I appreciate the skill and talent. I thought it was pretty clear that out of every team, it was tOSU that I despised.

That puts you in a large pool. Who doesn't despise tOSU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...