Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Cisero

PSU vs Opponent / Iowa Vs Opponent / TheMat.Com

4 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Both Iowa and PSU fans are equally awful. Both talk about “we” yet few actually wrestled at either place.

And much better than those wearing $1000 Notre Dame leather jackets that dropped out of 11th grade.

4 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

This would be a pretty barren place if it was limited to D1 wrestlers.

Any clown that refers to a sports team they root for as “we”, is just that, a clown. They don’t put in the hard work, they don’t sacrifice, they watch and cheer, that’s all.

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I dont really see it that often on this site.

It may not, I’m super sensitive to it so maybe it just appears more. I like some Iowa guys, you for example, and I like TBar, actually. Some times the lines blend.

23 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Any clown that refers to a sports team they root for as “we”, is just that, a clown. They don’t put in the hard work, they don’t sacrifice, they watch and cheer, that’s all.

I used to feel the same way. Then one of my coaches that I respect a lot told me to remember that without the fans, we don’t exist. If no one ever showed up to watch any sporting events or didn’t watch on tv or care enough to follow them, then there would be no point in playing. I get it’s a sensitive topic though. But that changed my outlook a little. 

I think I became sensitive in high school. One of my teammates Dad would also say “we won”, “we got the pin”, etc when talking about how his son wrestled. If his son lost it was always “he lost”, “he sucks”. It was really embarrassing.

1 minute ago, HokieHWT said:

I think I became sensitive in high school. One of my teammates Dad would also say “we won”, “we got the pin”, etc when talking about how his son wrestled. If his son lost it was always “he lost”, “he sucks”. It was really embarrassing.

Yeah that’s awful. Toxic parents are the worst. A team in my high school conference won the team dual state championship 7 years in a row and they were notorious for having parents show up wearing rings and acting like they won the matches. The parents would literally taunt other parents and wrestlers and they had never wrestled a day in their life. I can absolutely sympathize with that. 

42 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

It may not, I’m super sensitive to it so maybe it just appears more. I like some Iowa guys, you for example, and I like TBar, actually. Some times the lines blend.

I'm touched by your kind words, HokieHWT. We all are here at Penn State. :-)

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, HokieHWT said:

How do you feel about packers fans using the term “we” bc the team is publicly owned so they are technically the owners. 

15 hours ago, 82bordeaux said:

Deep down I believe there is even self loathing there.

There may be a bit of self punishment, but it's not loathing.  Hate is a learned thing.  I grew up in an era when OSU was pretty 'bad.'  PSU wasn't even thought of and you were supposed to hate IOWA even though Dan Gable was every young wrestlers hero.  I hated the Russians. That's who we were supposed to hate.  All of the wrestling news came from a monthly USA Wrestling magazine and we went to Toledo every year for the World Cup, where I roamed the floor and traded pins, Levis and singlets.  

So I never learned to hate IOWA or PSU it's only been in the last decade or so that I learned to hate their big mouthed fans and some of them deservingly so.  Everyone is likeable until they open their mouths or so I've found.  Hating a school or their athletes because they're good is like hating someone because they're smarter than you...  I don't even hate the worst of the worst here and we have some loud mouthed, snarky, I'm better than you posters.  I've even mellowed on the Russians somewhat....

57 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

There may be a bit of self punishment, but it's not loathing.  Hate is a learned thing.  I grew up in an era when OSU was pretty 'bad.'  PSU wasn't even thought of and you were supposed to hate IOWA even though Dan Gable was every young wrestlers hero.  I hated the Russians. That's who we were supposed to hate.  All of the wrestling news came from a monthly USA Wrestling magazine and we went to Toledo every year for the World Cup, where I roamed the floor and traded pins, Levis and singlets.  

So I never learned to hate IOWA or PSU it's only been in the last decade or so that I learned to hate their big mouthed fans and some of them deservingly so.  Everyone is likeable until they open their mouths or so I've found.  Hating a school or their athletes because they're good is like hating someone because they're smarter than you...  I don't even hate the worst of the worst here and we have some loud mouthed, snarky, I'm better than you posters.  I've even mellowed on the Russians somewhat....

I second everything you say in regards to those days, and I think a big difference is that in those days you interacted with those fan bases/people in person, on a personal level. Personalities are often different behind a computer, out of touch with the human interaction. 

On 2/16/2020 at 7:04 AM, Marcus Cisero said:

I don’t ever recall when there were back to back PSU vs Opponent and Iowa vs Opponent matches televised on the same day. As someone who prefers watching the match as opposed to watching the match while simultaneously contributing to this board, it was interesting to read what others were saying about these two teams between breaks and TV commercials.

One main take-away for me, and it’s without question – most of the guys that run this forum love Iowa and truly despise PSU, and it’s as obvious as the day is long.

Man more than ever, I really hope PSU pulls this off in March.  Just sitting back and reading the comments from you ardent Iowa-can-do-no-wrong fans after PSU takes home another title would be worth the price of admission!

all one has to do is look at the minn/iowa thread to prove you wrong.

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

all one has to do is look at the minn/iowa thread to prove you wrong.

My opinions are based on what I see with my own eyes – so how I can be wrong?

Your opinions are based on what you see with your own eyes. so how can you be wrong?

There's nothing to prove. We're both right.

5 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Hopefully you took the post in the tongue in cheek way it was meant. I have some best friends (not just good friends) that are OSU alums and huge fans of all that is Scarlett and Gray. I love them to death, but we will take shots at each other's schools every chance we get. The only lines we don't cross is, they don't joke about the Sandusky stuff and I don't make fun of them for driving in the left lane on an open thru-way. Everything else if fair game.

5 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

My opinions are based on what I see with my own eyes – so how I can be wrong?

Your opinions are based on what you see with your own eyes. so how can you be wrong?

There's nothing to prove. We're both right.

lol

so b/c you dont see it you could say that TBar isn't a homer.

and b/c I dont see it I could say that scout isn't a homer.

lol

you prove your bias in another post.

On 2/16/2020 at 7:45 PM, HokieHWT said:

Both Iowa and PSU fans are equally awful. Both talk about “we” yet few actually wrestled at either place.

The difference is Iowa fans go back for decades, the PSU fans are much more recent.

I know some older die hard fans that have been going to Rec Hall since the 80's and they are embarrassed of the new fans who couldn't care less when PSU was just a top 10 team.