Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Cisero

Sebastian Rivera is Back

9 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Cornell did it today as well. They had the gymnastics mat right beside the wrestling mat for their dual with UNC. Crowd seemed pretty big too. 

Did you get a peek at the wrestling when you weren't looking at those lady gymnasts' bottoms? :D

Edited by TobusRex

Just now, TobusRex said:

Did you get a peek at the wrestling when you weren't looking at those lady gymnasts' bottoms? :D

Unfortunately the camera was only on wrestling :( only a couple quick panoramas of the gymnastic mat in between matches. Basically the broadcast turned in to listening to the overly pro Cornell broadcaster try and talk over pop songs being played for the gymnastics meet. Very very different than usual matches lol.

I couldn't believe they had gymnastics going on as well - and the music was loud to the point where it was difficult to understand what the snowflakish announcer was mumbling about. I immediately turned off the match after the Rivera pin. Flo should never broadcast from Maryland again. What an absolute disgrace.

58 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I couldn't believe they had gymnastics going on as well - and the music was loud to the point where it was difficult to understand what the snowflakish announcer was mumbling about. I immediately turned off the match after the Rivera pin. Flo should never broadcast from Maryland again. What an absolute disgrace.

The MD broadcast was definitely like being a stranger in a strange land.  The announcers kept talking about "players" and "games"; the Maryland guys were wrestling in baggy shorts and tight tshirts, no singlets; and there was a gymnastics meet going on right next to the mat.  

Another weird thing was at the end at 125 deAugustino stopped wrestling with about 5 seconds left and got almost literally put on his head, lucky he didn't get hurt.

p.s. someone else, I think Nebraska, had gymnastics with wrestling the other week.  

3 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Flo didnt broadcast the match. It was BigTenNetwork. Flo has a deal with BTN to stream their BTN+ matches.

4 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

Unfortunately the camera was only on wrestling :( only a couple quick panoramas of the gymnastic mat in between matches. Basically the broadcast turned in to listening to the overly pro Cornell broadcaster try and talk over pop songs being played for the gymnastics meet. Very very different than usual matches lol.

the cornell PBP guy is so infuriating. he says absolutely nothing but a mile a minute. and he constantly tries to anticipate the scoring and calls takedowns that don't happen and has to walk the call back.

4 hours ago, drag it said:

The MD broadcast was definitely like being a stranger in a strange land.  The announcers kept talking about "players" and "games"; the Maryland guys were wrestling in baggy shorts and tight tshirts, no singlets; and there was a gymnastics meet going on right next to the mat.  

Another weird thing was at the end at 125 deAugustino stopped wrestling with about 5 seconds left and got almost literally put on his head, lucky he didn't get hurt.

p.s. someone else, I think Nebraska, had gymnastics with wrestling the other week.  

Yeah, and calling moves "plays". Or saying when a MD kid was trailing 5-1 with 30 secs. left and both on their feet "he needs takedown and a reversal or escape". It would be good for wrestling if they got kids who knew the basics to do the broadcasts. And for Flo to not run their Russian story promo over the first 40 seconds of EVERY match.

30 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

Yeah, and calling moves "plays". Or saying when a MD kid was trailing 5-1 with 30 secs. left and both on their feet "he needs takedown and a reversal or escape". It would be good for wrestling if they got kids who knew the basics to do the broadcasts. And for Flo to not run their Russian story promo over the first 40 seconds of EVERY match.

Were the announcers ever on camera? I wonder if they were even matside. Some networks will just have remote announcers talking over a live feed of a sporting event, just to save a few bucks. ESPN does it all the time for both men’s & women’s college basketball - sounds like they are right there at the game, but it’s actually a couple of dudes in a sound booth in Bristol, CT voicing it over. 

Also, does the co-scheduling with gymnastics happen often? I never knew it was a thing. It kind of tells us how the ADs prioritize wrestling. Kinda surprising to hear that Nebraska does it, wow.

23 minutes ago, pamela said:

Were the announcers ever on camera? I wonder if they were even matside. Some networks will just have remote announcers talking over a live feed of a sporting event, just to save a few bucks. ESPN does it all the time for both men’s & women’s college basketball - sounds like they are right there at the game, but it’s actually a couple of dudes in a sound booth in Bristol, CT voicing it over. 

Also, does the co-scheduling with gymnastics happen often? I never knew it was a thing. It kind of tells us how the ADs prioritize wrestling. Kinda surprising to hear that Nebraska does it, wow.

Went back and confirmed I did remember correctly -- Nebraska did the combined gymnastics match against Michigan State.

And to be as helpful as possible, I tried to figure out where the MD announcers were.  Sounded to me like they were there and at the end they signed off by saying their names and so long from the Xfinity Center, so they'd be lying if they weren't. 

I don't think the problem in wrestling is with them not being on site.  Instead some of the schools for the Big Ten Student broadcasts haven't found former wrestlers or people otherwise knowledgeable so you get college kids who literally know nothing trying to fill the broadcast. I actually remember that the Nebraska guys were like that, just as bad, a few years ago, but the guys that did the MSU match were good, so I guess Manning or someone made it a priority to try to straighten it out.  

One more thing about the MD match.  When I was checking the end to try to figure out the announcer location, I saw in the handshake line that Clemson and Howe looked like they were really getting into it over something, either that or they were telling each other how great they are.  Wonder if anyone who saw the full match knows what that was about.

7 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Flo didnt broadcast the match. It was BigTenNetwork. Flo has a deal with BTN to stream their BTN+ matches.

I should have been more clear. What I should have said is FLO should no longer provide feed via BTN from Maryland. I'm not paying them to that #$%@.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

4 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I should have been more clear. What I should have said is FLO should no longer provide feed via BTN from Maryland. I'm not paying them to that #$%@.

So they shouldnt provide a video stream of matches that they dont cover themselves?

That makes no sense...

If Flo stopped streaming BTN+ content the price of Flo wouldnt go down. There would just be less video content available on Flo. Sounds like a bad idea. Even if the streams are sometimes crap, i would rather have the ability to watch a crappy video stream of matches then not at all. Simple fix for you would be the turn off the audio.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

4 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

So they shouldnt provide a video stream of matches that they dont cover themselves?

That makes no sense...

If Flo stopped streaming BTN+ content the price of Flo wouldnt go down. There would just be less video content available on Flo. Sounds like a bad idea. Even if the streams are sometimes crap, i would rather have the ability to watch a crappy video stream of matches then not at all. Simple fix for you would be the turn off the audio.

hey BigTenFanSoy - I know what I meant - as many do - sorry you you do not.

5 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

hey BigTenFanSoy - I know what I meant - as many do - sorry you you do not.

I would certainly hope you know what you ment. Youre just horrible at explaining it thats all.

Hey Flo! Marcus doesnt want BTN+ matches that no one is forcing him to watch streamed on your site.