Sign in to follow this  
goheels1812

Which school will you never pull for?

Marcus’ thread got me wondering about the rooting interest of folks on this board. As the title asks, which team do you despise the most? 

I’ll start. Mine is NC State. As a UNC fan this one is pretty obvious. I have a ton of respect for the program Pat Pop has built in Raleigh, but I always pull against NC State wrestlers. The only exception to this I can ever remember was Michael Machiavello because he was a homegrown NC wrestler from my area and I couldn’t pull against him. 

I’m curious for the big 10 fans (and others) who you guys absolutely will not pull for. 

6 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Marcus’ thread got me wondering about the rooting interest of folks on this board. As the title asks, which team do you despise the most? 

I’ll start. Mine is NC State. As a UNC fan this one is pretty obvious. I have a ton of respect for the program Pat Pop has built in Raleigh, but I always pull against NC State wrestlers. The only exception to this I can ever remember was Michael Machiavello because he was a homegrown NC wrestler from my area and I couldn’t pull against him. 

I’m curious for the big 10 fans (and others) who you guys absolutely will not pull for. 

Definitely never root for UNC, that powder puff blue makes me cringe 

Just now, Mohammer said:

Definitely never root for UNC, that powder puff blue makes me cringe 

Haha! To each their own. My grandparents met at UNC, my dad went there, and I have 2 degrees from there. At this point I basically bleed that powder puff blue lol. 

Meh, don't really have any terrible feelings about any fanbases/teams, and that includes the Oolagah Mustangs (injury against those guys cost me a run at state my Jr year). I root for guys whose style I enjoy watching. I like PSU a good deal. Cael has a great eye for talent and the chops to land it, develop it. I root for OU/OSU because I was an Okie HS wrestler. I like Mizzou and what's been accomplished up there, I like Iowa because of Brand's insane antics and they have some great, fun wrestlers. **** man, I like all the teams with good wrestlers I can watch, and I even watch the crap guys in between, lol.  I'd even root for the Longhorns if they actually started a D1 program, probably harder than any OU fan should.

10 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Meh, don't really have any terrible feelings about any fanbases/teams, and that includes the Oolagah Mustangs (injury against those guys cost me a run at state my Jr year). I root for guys whose style I enjoy watching. I like PSU a good deal. Cael has a great eye for talent and the chops to land it, develop it. I root for OU/OSU because I was an Okie HS wrestler. I like Mizzou and what's been accomplished up there, I like Iowa because of Brand's insane antics and they have some great, fun wrestlers. **** man, I like all the teams with good wrestlers I can watch, and I even watch the crap guys in between, lol.  I'd even root for the Longhorns if they actually started a D1 program, probably harder than any OU fan should.

I like this mind set. I love watching good wrestling too, even if it’s against unranked guys. I find myself pulling for ACC wrestlers at the NCAA tournament, unless it’s NC State haha. Maybe I’m just salty that UNC keeps making gains and still can’t beat them. But all the other schools I’ve pulled for a wrestler or two from there in the past. 

Despite going to both schools (Penn State for undergrad and Ohio State afterwards) and wrestling on both school's club teams I have a hard time rooting for Ohio State.

Not sure if this is normal, or due to being a 2nd generation Penn Stater.

I find myself wanting to root for Slippery Rock so that maybe they bring their program back, but the farther away we get the less I think that will happen.

As an east Kansas border man, I would not like the Mizzou ruffians if KS had a team.  As it is, they are an adopted love like the KC chiefs.

I like to watch good wrestling regardless of the school or country.  My favorites are those that are trying to score for the full match.  RBY and Desanto are two of my favorites.  Now that Cox has offense, my i18n fandom for him is growing.  Naturally I like the Iowa way.

15 minutes ago, jross said:

As an east Kansas border man, I would not like the Mizzou ruffians if KS had a team.  As it is, they are an adopted love like the KC chiefs.

I like to watch good wrestling regardless of the school or country.  My favorites are those that are trying to score for the full match.  RBY and Desanto are two of my favorites.  Now that Cox has offense, my i18n fandom for him is growing.  Naturally I like the Iowa way.

LOL...crazy to think that KU and KSU had wresting programs at one time. A former KSU wrestler was probably the best coach I had in HS, but only had the guy in the room with me about 5 days a year (when we practiced with Pawhuska). Very positive guy, he was 40+ and got the better of me on the mat anyway, taught me some cool stuff.  Peso knows him, Richard DeMoss.  I wish all the old Big 8 teams still had their wrestling programs.

40 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

LOL...crazy to think that KU and KSU had wresting programs at one time. A former KSU wrestler was probably the best coach I had in HS, but only had the guy in the room with me about 5 days a year (when we practiced with Pawhuska). Very positive guy, he was 40+ and got the better of me on the mat anyway, taught me some cool stuff.  Peso knows him, Richard DeMoss.  I wish all the old Big 8 teams still had their wrestling programs.

Kansas made a recent push for a D1 school.  The pitch is available for review here.

Not even BYU, the fools who believe American Indians are Israelites.

More a question of individual wrestlers and coaches. Some I know or have had interactions with over the years I'll root for more than another but none I actively root against. A few bad apples (my view) I am glad to see get beat but over all I don't wish anything negative on any of them.

Most are good kids and coaches who are trying to do a good job and living their dream, trying to achieve goals. I'll root for that anywhere at any time. Rooting for a kid or program rather than against one makes more sense to me.

Edited by WillieBoy

4 hours ago, russelscout said:

I find it much easier to root against a school in football than I do wrestling.

On the last weekend in November: "I don't give a damn about the whole state of #ichigan. The whole state of #ichigan. The whole state of #ichigan. "I don't give a damn about the whole state of #ichigan, 'cause I'm from OHIO!"

I've never felt that way about Michigan on any other day, and certainly never about its wrestlers. 

There have been wrestlers I root against - and I appreciate the occasional thread where they're described as "heels". 

I've never rooted against any wrestling team, but I've certainly rooted for any given underdog.  It's really rare that I root against any wrestler, either. I rooted against both Gilman and Waters one year, but I eventually came around on Gilman. Desanto for part of last year, but then I came around to appreciate him too.  

5 hours ago, russelscout said:

Wrestling is too individual. I said I dont like tOSU, but I loved watching Micah Jordan. I could never root against Nato except when he wrestled an Iowa guy.

I find it much easier to root against a school in football than I do wrestling.

Me too. I often find myself rooting against SEC teams in football and the Blue Bloods in basketball (Duke, UK, KU, UNC) but I don’t have any problems with the small handful of schools that have been dominating wrestling lately, bc I mostly follow individuals.

One person who I used to follow wrestling with would never ever pull for one particular school because of a bad experience we had with their fans in the bleachers at a dual, then some other stuff that happened later with the same school’s fanbase online on a messsage board (not this one). He doesn’t follow wrestling anymore but still hates the school and cheers against them in any sport, lol.

13 hours ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

I like PSU a good deal too.  Mmmm-Hmmm.

Image result for sling blade i like

Mmmmm...mustard and biscuits. It takes a special kind of wrestling coach to make his wrestlers mustard and biscuits.

Seriously, is that a recruitment photo from when Cael first recruited Nolf?