Sign in to follow this  
goheels1812

Which school will you never pull for?

Haven't been following wrestling long enough,  but my least liked programs in other sports (I am in Nebraska) likely apply here:

• Iowa (pre-B1G for Nebraska I was generally indifferent to the Hawkeyes)
  • Missouri (lived in Jefferson City for a number of years after attending college at a different school in Missouri, that said, I found myself sort of rooting for them against Oklahoma State in that recent dual)

14 hours ago, jross said:

As an east Kansas border man, I would not like the Mizzou ruffians if KS had a team.  As it is, they are an adopted love like the KC chiefs.

I like to watch good wrestling regardless of the school or country.  My favorites are those that are trying to score for the full match.  RBY and Desanto are two of my favorites.  Now that Cox has offense, my i18n fandom for him is growing.  Naturally I like the Iowa way.

And as a Missourian, KU not having wrestling means I don't have to hate any team. So that's great. Beyond rooting for MU, I root for guys that are exciting to watch and against (though I don't wish anything bad on them) guys that are boring. Pretty simple. Pretty much every top D1 program has someone I will root for and against.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Mmmmm...mustard and biscuits. It takes a special kind of wrestling coach to make his wrestlers mustard and biscuits.

Seriously, is that a recruitment photo from when Cael first recruited Nolf?

That 'ole boy Nolf didn't look like much, but he could rassle like nobody's bidness...

Image result for Rick Dial in sling blade

13 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

And as a Missourian, KU not having wrestling means I don't have to hate any team. So that's great. Beyond rooting for MU, I root for guys that are exciting to watch and against (though I don't wish anything bad on them) guys that are boring. Pretty simple. Pretty much every top D1 program has someone I will root for and against.

That was an unfortunate consequence of conference realignment. Didn’t Zenger and Bill Self say they were fine with letting the KU-Mizzou rivalry die gracefully? It doesn’t affect wrestling, obviously but alumni from both schools talk about how bizarre it is that freshmen dont know or care about the border rivalry. Maybe the new Kansas AD will get things going again by putting Mizzou back on the schedule for basketball.

4 minutes ago, pamela said:

That was an unfortunate consequence of conference realignment. Didn’t Zenger and Bill Self say they were fine with letting the KU-Mizzou rivalry die gracefully? It doesn’t affect wrestling, obviously but alumni from both schools talk about how bizarre it is that freshmen dont know or care about the border rivalry. Maybe the new Kansas AD will get things going again by putting Mizzou back on the schedule for basketball.

Yeah. KU was butt hurt that Mizzou was jumping what seemed to be a sinking ship. When the ship was righted, KU wasn't going to do MU any favors. I'm sure that rivalry made both schools a lot of money, though. It's sad that the hatred is slowly fading due to the lack of any rivalry games (I'm not even being sarcastic).

The Chief's superbowl victory even brought both states together in celebration, with only Trump's lack of geographical knowledge (a subset of his complete lack of knowledge) briefly bringing those strong tribal emotions back to the surface.

Until recently, Bill had been cold on the KU-MU rivalry.  "We're going to do what's best for us," Self said. "We're not interested in what's best for Missouri or best for Missouri fans. But if it's best for us to play them, we will. It's not a complicated deal."  KU could lose recruiting if MU beats them and they gain nothing by beating MU.  MU needed to win every once in a while for Self to consider it a rivalry.  KU had won 21 games versus 7 MU wins since 2000.

Maybe longtime fans from both sides can rekindle the rivalry starting with basketball, but given the events of this season (plus the marching band Jayhawk penis thing not too long ago) I think KU will be focusing their hatred solely on K-State for now, haha. 

17 minutes ago, pamela said:

Maybe longtime fans from both sides can rekindle the rivalry starting with basketball, but given the events of this season (plus the marching band Jayhawk penis thing not too long ago) I think KU will be focusing their hatred solely on K-State for now, haha. 

The only thing that could make me like KU is if they had a D1 wrestling team.  KSU fan here.  
Edited by jross

6 minutes ago, jross said:

Until recently, Bill had been cold on the KU-MU rivalry.  "We're going to do what's best for us," Self said. "We're not interested in what's best for Missouri or best for Missouri fans. But if it's best for us to play them, we will. It's not a complicated deal."  KU could lose recruiting if MU beats them and they gain nothing by beating MU.  MU needed to win every once in a while for Self to consider it a rivalry.  KU had won 21 games versus 7 MU wins since 2000.

Conversely, MU won 5 out of the last 6 football games (I'm still bitter about KU getting selected over MU for the Orange Bowl in 2008 BECAUSE they lost to MU). Of course, neither football team is as relevant as KU's BB team. But Mizzou doesn't have the recruiting ability that Bill Self does (said tongue in cheek).

15 hours ago, jross said:

Kansas made a recent push for a D1 school.  The pitch is available for review here.

Would be cool if they came back. Can't imagine their chances are good at a prominent bball school like KU.  Would be great for Kansas wrestlers who love KU or KSU. If I was a Kansas state champ and KU came calling to ask me to join their first wrestling team in decades, I'd sign instantly.  I bet they'd draw boys from northern Oklahoma (there are parts of Oklahoma more like Kansas than Oklahoma), Miami to Ponca City I could see them stealing a few Oklahoma HS state champs, runnerups maybe. Maybe the occasional traitor from Perry :D

Mizzou produces good talent and I'm sure JRoss would be happy to see KU steal some of that talent if KU made a new team. Plus there are lots of good wrestlers who don't have the chops to get offers from schools like PSU, Ohio State, Iowa, Okie State, NU, etc. A new wrestling program can make a great push for those guys, and some are pretty damned good. Stephen Neal never even won a state title in HS, look how he performed when he finally got the coaching. Derek Moore, another example. I think with the talent in the areas around KU or KSU there there's enough talent to easily put up a top 20 team within 4 or 5 years.

1 hour ago, jross said:

Easy to understand Self's reasoning, selfish as it is. Loss for the fans though.

4 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Easy to understand Self's reasoning, selfish as it is. Loss for the fans though.

If I remember correctly, all the remaining  Big 12 schools (after realignment) boycotted Mizzou for a while, and then Self, who is kind of de facto AD at KU, got Zenger on board and just ran with it. I think Missouri got the blacklist treatment the hardest bc of the media sharing thing at the time. 

Just now, pamela said:

If I remember correctly, all the remaining  Big 12 schools (after realignment) boycotted Mizzou for a while, and then Self, who is kind of de facto AD at KU, got Zenger on board and just ran with it. I think Missouri got the blacklist treatment the hardest bc of the media sharing thing at the time. 

Yeah,  all the ADs were acting like children. Texas caused the whole kerfluffle, naturally, being the primadonna pricks they are. Nebraska's behavior didn't impress me too much either.

18 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Nebraska-Omaha. Would never root for them, in anything, and not even against the University of the Satanic Cult (and that's not supposed to be an acronym for anything).

are you talking pre or post destruction? 

I don't dislike any teams, but I do dislike some individuals on certain teams.  Just a couple of example, I'm not a fan of suriano and his NJ tough guy routine, not a fan of desanto because of his antics.  Fantastic wrestler, but again with the fake tough guy stuff.

47 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah,  all the ADs were acting like children. Texas caused the whole kerfluffle, naturally, being the primadonna pricks they are. Nebraska's behavior didn't impress me too much either.

There were four teams that left.  First rumors I heard were Missouri leaving then next thing you know Colorado left and then Nebraska shortly after.  Then Missouri and Texas A&M left the following season.  Why do Colorado and Texas A&M get more of a pass? 

25 minutes ago, MonagFam said:

There were four teams that left.  First rumors I heard were Missouri leaving then next thing you know Colorado left and then Nebraska shortly after.  Then Missouri and Texas A&M left the following season.  Why do Colorado and Texas A&M get more of a pass? 

Colorado was always kind of the blacksheep of the Big 8 family anyway. Not a huge loss. Mizzou/NU were charter members. Nobody gives a **** about Texas A@M.

8 minutes ago, MonagFam said:

At the time of the realignment, the Big 12 was in financial disarray and there was a lot of infighting because of the conference’s tv contracts and media revenue model.

I think Mizzou caught a lot of flak because the perception was that they sort of put into motion the Big 12’s gutting - they were rumored to be the initial target of the B1G’s expansion plans, not Nebraska. Then after UNL and CU left, Mizzou said they wanted to stay and helped structure the Big 12’s revenue sharing deal to keep Texas and OU in the conference... and then Mizzou bailed for the SEC with TAMU shortly afterwards.

Also, Texas, TAMU, OU and UNL were the schools most strongly against equal revenue sharing in the Big12, which again was a huge issue. CU was neutral/leaning against since they held the Denver and Pacific markets. When CU and UNL left, the “anti” schools lost their 4 vote bloc to stop media sharing, according to conference bylaws. Meanwhile, Texas of course would rather have gone independent or to the Pac with OU than lose control over the LHN ($$$), but TAMU had the authority to stop Texas from leaving the Big 12, and vice-versa (another weird conference bylaw). When Mizzou left for the SEC as part of a package deal with TAMU it put Texas, the Big 12’s crown jewel, in play again and de-leveraged the rest of the schools. 

Sorry for the spaghetti explanation but it’s my long-winded way of saying Mizzou seemed to do a lot of things that left a bad taste in the other school’s mouths.

7 minutes ago, pamela said:

At the time of the realignment, the Big 12 was in financial disarray and there was a lot of infighting because of the conference’s tv contracts and media revenue model.

I think Mizzou caught a lot of flak because the perception was that they sort of put into motion the Big 12’s gutting - they were rumored to be the initial target of the B1G’s expansion plans, not Nebraska. Then after UNL and CU left, Mizzou said they wanted to stay and helped structure the Big 12’s revenue sharing deal to keep Texas and OU in the conference... and then Mizzou bailed for the SEC with TAMU shortly afterwards.

Also, Texas, TAMU, OU and UNL were the schools most strongly against equal revenue sharing in the Big12, which again was a huge issue. CU was neutral/leaning against since they held the Denver and Pacific markets. When CU and UNL left, the “anti” schools lost their 4 vote bloc to stop media sharing, according to conference bylaws. Meanwhile, Texas of course would rather have gone independent or to the Pac with OU than lose control over the LHN ($$$), but TAMU had the authority to stop Texas from leaving the Big 12, and vice-versa (another weird conference bylaw). When Mizzou left for the SEC as part of a package deal with TAMU it put Texas, the Big 12’s crown jewel, in play again and de-leveraged the rest of the schools. 

Sorry for the spaghetti explanation but it’s my long-winded way of saying Mizzou seemed to do a lot of things that left a bad taste in the other school’s mouths.

I thought this was a good summary and explanation.  I am a Nebraska fan so see it more from that perspective.  I never cared for Mizzou, but those feelings were hardened a bit when I lived 30 minutes away from campus, so I was usually ok with them leaving...and then Nebraska left.  I am still not sure how I feel about it.