Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

PAC 12 wrestling this week - Feb. 21 thru Feb. 23, 2020

Very limited matches this week as this is the last week of the regular season for wrestling in the PAC 12.  Two teams won't be competing at all this week (Little Rock and Stanford).

FRIDAY - FEBRUARY 21, 2020

ARIZONA STATE AT Lehigh in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania  - 5 p.m. MT - VIDEO available via the Leigh and ASU wrestling schedule websites

CAL STATE BAKERSFIELD - vs. Cal Baptist - 8 p.m. MT - No video - Live Stats only

SATURDAY - FEBRUARY 22, 2020

CAL POLY AT OREGON STATE - 2 p.m. MT - Video available via the Oregon State wrestling schedule website (PAC 12 Streaming)

SUNDAY - FEBRUARY 23, 2020

ARIZONA STATE AT North Carlina - Noon MT - Video available via the ASU wrestling schedule website (WATCH ESPN) or the North Carolina wrestling schedule website (ACC NX)

After this very limited week of PAC 12 wrestling it's the PAC 12 Championship on March 7th at Stanford.  Limited TV coverage is available via the PAC 12 Network.

With the addition of Little Rock and their low RPI ranking, I don't expect the PAC-12 to get more then the 17 allocations they received last year, plus perhaps a couple wild cards.

There are only 18 wrestlers in the latest NCAA RPI rankings from the PAC.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2020-02-13/ncaa-releases-division-i-wrestling-coaches-panel-and-rpi-rankings

I remember the days when the PAC 12 routinely has over 40 NCAA qualifiers - but that was some time ago.  The PAC 12 also had 10 wrestling schools/teams at that time.   Teams such as ASU, Boise State, Cal Poly, CSUB, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UC Davis, CS Fullerton and Portland State.  HALF of those 10 schools no longer have a wrestling team.

5 hours ago, Tommy Payan said:

With the addition of Little Rock and their low RPI ranking, I don't expect the PAC-12 to get more then the 17 allocations they received last year, plus perhaps a couple wild cards.

There are only 18 wrestlers in the latest NCAA RPI rankings from the PAC.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2020-02-13/ncaa-releases-division-i-wrestling-coaches-panel-and-rpi-rankings

RPI is only one part of it but I only see 17-19 with a couple at large. 

15 hours ago, JerryCallo said:

Any word on the health of Real Woods, Stanford's #3 ranked wrestler at 141?  How about Zahid, who was left home last weekend? 

Maybe you have confused Requir van der Merwe with Real Woods here?

5 hours ago, Bronco said:

I think he is basing it off of him missing some matches earlier this season and then missing the last dual. 

Woods won his match in their penultimate dual 10-1.  And judging by who Stanford had on the mat in their last dual they - apparently - just didn't want to risk injury to most of their starters.

On 2/17/2020 at 6:39 AM, Bronco said:

Very limited matches this week as this is the last week of the regular season for wrestling in the PAC 12.  Two teams won't be competing at all this week (Little Rock and Stanford).

FRIDAY - FEBRUARY 21, 2020

ARIZONA STATE AT Lehigh in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania  - 5 p.m. MT - VIDEO available via the Leigh and ASU wrestling schedule websites

CAL STATE BAKERSFIELD - vs. Cal Baptist - 8 p.m. MT - No video - Live Stats only

SATURDAY - FEBRUARY 22, 2020

CAL POLY AT OREGON STATE - 2 p.m. MT - Video available via the Oregon State wrestling schedule website (PAC 12 Streaming)

SUNDAY - FEBRUARY 23, 2020

ARIZONA STATE AT North Carlina - Noon MT - Video available via the ASU wrestling schedule website (WATCH ESPN) or the North Carolina wrestling schedule website (ACC NX)

After this very limited week of PAC 12 wrestling it's the PAC 12 Championship on March 7th at Stanford.  Limited TV coverage is available via the PAC 12 Network.

UPDATE

The PAC 12 dual on Saturday between Cal Poly vs. Oregon State WILL be televised on the Los Angeles PAC 12 channel according to the Oregon State wrestling website and my Sling TV channel guide for this Saturday at 2 p.m. MST.  If I'm not mistaken I believe this is only the 4th wrestling dual this entire season in which a PAC 12 team has been involved that has been televised by any of the six PAC 12 Networks.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:36 AM, Bronco said:

Actually I was referring to Real Woods - I saw that he sat out the SDSU meet - and I heard that he was seen in a sling.  Then - against NDSU I saw that their 149 pounder (not good with his name) had an injury default as well.

Given that I have Real Woods in TWO Fantasy Leagues I was more interested in "info" on his status for the PAC 12's.

46 minutes ago, JerryCallo said:

Actually I was referring to Real Woods - I saw that he sat out the SDSU meet - and I heard that he was seen in a sling.  Then - against NDSU I saw that their 149 pounder (not good with his name) had an injury default as well.

Given that I have Real Woods in TWO Fantasy Leagues I was more interested in "info" on his status for the PAC 12's.

I have no idea if Woods is injured.  But if he is he will have had 3 weeks to heal up before the PAC 12 tournament.

On 2/18/2020 at 3:28 PM, Bronco said:

I remember the days when the PAC 12 routinely has over 40 NCAA qualifiers - but that was some time ago.  The PAC 12 also had 10 wrestling schools/teams at that time.   Teams such as ASU, Boise State, Cal Poly, CSUB, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UC Davis, CS Fullerton and Portland State.  HALF of those 10 schools no longer have a wrestling team.

Those 40 qualifiers were also under the old NCAA qualifier formula. Thankfully, that formula was last used in the 2007-2008 season.

Edited by SetonHallPirate

29 minutes ago, Tommy Payan said:

Can someone please tell me what the score is at intermission. I've had to refresh about 15 times, the stream is constantly buffering.

15-8 Lehigh though 174

2 hours ago, Tommy Payan said:

Thanks guys, the entire stream was very annoying due to the constant buffering's and restarts I had to endure. Final score was 19-14 ??

Yep. Hall over Wood at her 

Weird.............I initially had a bit of trouble with the video last night but after that I had zero problems with the video and audio.  The commentators (whoever they were) were EXCELLENT.

Dual Results: #11 Lehigh 19, #4 ASU 14
125 – Brandon Paetzell (Lehigh) dec. Brandon Courtney (ASU) 6-1
133 – Jaret Lane (Lehigh) dec. Josh Kramer (ASU) 4-1
141 – Ryan Pomrinca (Lehigh) dec. Cory Crooks (ASU) 3-1, sv
149 – Jimmy Hoffman (Lehigh) dec. Josh Maruca (ASU) 5-4
157 – Jacori Teemer (ASU) dec. Josh Humphreys (Lehigh) 8-7
165 – Josh Shields (ASU) tech fall Brian Meyer (Lehigh) 19-4, 7:00 
174 – Jordan Kutler (Lehigh) dec. Anthony Valencia (ASU) 9-4
184 – Chris Weiler (Lehigh) major dec. Cade Belshay (ASU) 10-0
197 – Kordell Norfleet (ASU) dec. Chase Gallik (Lehigh) 12-6
285 – Tanner Hall (ASU) dec. Jordan Wood (Lehigh) 5-2

Courtney was dominated by Paetzell.  The score was only 6-1 but the match wasn't that close.   Kramer, surprisingly, wrestled pretty well and so did Maruca but both lost.  If either one of them had won their match it might have been a very different outcome.   Especially if Zahid had been in the lineup. 

Amazing win by Teemer.  He made a miraculous move with only seconds left to win it 8-7.

Disappointing that Norfleet could only manage a win by Decision - especially since the guy he was wrestling last night was a substitute for Lehigh's 197 lb starter who has been competing primarily at 165 lbs this season.

9 minutes ago, Tommy Payan said:

Cal Poly - Oregon State dual just underway on PAC-12 Network.

OSU announced it is that it is going to be replayed on the Oregon State Pac-12 channel at 4:30 PT....Right now it's only showing on the LA regional and the main pay channel. 

Kaylor Pinned Martinez

Turner Dec Reyes 10-4