Wrestleknownothing

Lee v Pletcher poll

Lee v Pletcher poll  

88 members have voted

1. 1. If they meet two more times this season, who ya got?

• Lee 2-0
    • Pletcher 2-0
    • Lee Big 10, Pletcher NCAA
    • Pletcher Big 10, Lee NCAA

I lean either option 1 or 4. So as if to say, I believe Lee is going to win it in the end, but Pletcher getting the next one I wouldn’t throw out the window. 

The one adjustment I can see Lee making that would shut this thing down is bringing his stance back down a little and negating Pletcher getting to his legs from space. He may not make that adjustment based on this last match and Pletcher may be able to take advantage and make the adjustments to finish the next time. 

I think Lee will be confident that he can outscramble Pletcher rather than adjust his stance. Conversely, I’m not sure how Pletcher gameplans for Lee next time - but I hope he doesn’t overrespect Lee to the point that he shuts down his own offense and reverts to his 133 style.

13 minutes ago, pamela said:

I think Lee will be confident that he can outscramble Pletcher rather than adjust his stance. Conversely, I’m not sure how Pletcher gameplans for Lee next time - but I hope he doesn’t overrespect Lee to the point that he shuts down his own offense and reverts to his 133 style.

That’s exactly what I’m wondering, and honestly what really intriguing to me should they wrestle two more times. If Lee takes that confidence in scrambling and being able to stop him after he gets to the legs....but Pletcher makes those adjustments and finishes next time. THEN....does Lee look at doing what he has to do to keep Pletcher from getting in under his hands and from space?  I’m looking forward to the next one as much as I looked forward to the first one. For that reason. What are their tactics now having met once and felt each other. 

Edited by Lurker

After Pletcher scored that first takedown he turned into the Pletcher of old and tried to lock down his defense. He had multiple counter opportunities he didn't fully commit to. I believe he will score in future match ups, but he will need to score more than once to beat Lee. Lee is just too relentless and will eventually get his own. I have Lee winning both because I don't believe Pletcher will do enough.

I said this before the first match, based on my observations Lee has length, strength and gas tank advantage here. The only way for Pletcher to win is to somehow avoid getting taken down, choose neutral or manage to get out when he has choice and sneak a late TD.

I can't predict how their future matches will go. All I know is that they're both incredibly tough, which is why everyone is talking about them.

Edited by Katie

35 minutes ago, dwkeller said:

Lee is taller. I think Pletcher needs to think through this. And, do not choose down.

When he did choose down he got out right away. The ride outs came off Lee takedowns, when he went right into it after the takedown and didn’t give Pletcher a chance to reset. 

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

I lean either option 1 or 4. So as if to say, I believe Lee is going to win it in the end, but Pletcher getting the next one I wouldn’t throw out the window. 

The one adjustment I can see Lee making that would shut this thing down is bringing his stance back down a little and negating Pletcher getting to his legs from space. He may not make that adjustment based on this last match and Pletcher may be able to take advantage and make the adjustments to finish the next time. 

If you look closely at their match from Saturday night, after Pletcher gets the first TD on what amounts to an ultra slick cross reach snatch single to Lee's trail leg he goes right back to that same shot on his next attempt but this time comes up close but unable to convert because Lee was able to back out of it. Right after that Lee starts placing his right leg a little farther back. Not outlandishly back, but slightly back. So the third shot Pletcher takes is  now a double and now Lee has the timing down good and he grabs Pletcher's right arm and tries to drag it and get behind him. That didn't work, but after that I didn't see a lot of concerted shots from Pletcher.

I think Lee has this match figured out. You are saying keep the stance a little lower and that is essentially what Lee did to adjust in match. Lower or a little farther back in a little wider stance. same thing for all intents and purposes. Gte the timing down and and then Lee's longer reach, stamina, pace and top game are going to win him the match. 

Edited by TBar1977

The result almost exclusively comes down to stamina.  This matchup is much like McKenna vs Lee was.  However, I think Lee is better than he was then, so it is even harder for Pletcher to get the lead he MUST HAVE to weather the 3rd period.  

Pletcher has the necessary short offense and counters to score on Lee and can escape rather easily, when he isn't gassed.  With that in mind, his best chance is to beat him at NCAA's. He MUST peak his conditioning for that tournament and be at max capacity with solid rest for Saturday Night.

Another thing I think will be paramount to his success is 2nd period choice.  Choose down in the 2nd and get the quick escape.  Essentially he would need to get to the 3rd period with something like a 5-2 lead with 2 takedowns, an escape and NO stall calls.  That way he has options on how to conserve energy(strategically stall) in the 3rd.

If he doesn't go into the 3rd period with the lead, I just don't see him winning.

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

When he did choose down he got out right away. The ride outs came off Lee takedowns, when he went right into it after the takedown and didn’t give Pletcher a chance to reset. 

I think Lee was able to ride because he wore Pletcher out, not because of the fresh start. If Pletcher can improve his conditioning and weather the storm he has a shot.

Pletcher has little to no shot.   Lee is the class of the weight. If he doesn't get decked in 30 seconds by a Demas dump he wins it going away.     And I watched the Yianni interview about the classes this year and next and his confidence, although I could barely hear it like half of Flo's content.    Yianni and Lee are  closer than people think.  McKenna got shafted at Nats and should have won (ala Fix) and Mckenna and Lee were as close as you can get with Lee winning 1 of 3.  and Lee has Jumped levels according to Cael (and the eye test) as well as the Molinaro and Eireman test.  .  

17 hours ago, Gopher82 said:

Is Pletcher any good on top? I don't see him beating Lee unless he can ride Lee for a substantial amount of time. 

Lee's a better mat wrestler than Pletcher. Plus he's got a better gas tank, Pletcher was pooped in the 3rd period of their match.

6 hours ago, TheWrestlingGonad said:

Pletcher has little to no shot.   Lee is the class of the weight. If he doesn't get decked in 30 seconds by a Demas dump he wins it going away.     And I watched the Yianni interview about the classes this year and next and his confidence, although I could barely hear it like half of Flo's content.    Yianni and Lee are  closer than people think.  McKenna got shafted at Nats and should have won (ala Fix) and Mckenna and Lee were as close as you can get with Lee winning 1 of 3.  and Lee has Jumped levels according to Cael (and the eye test) as well as the Molinaro and Eireman test.  .  

Yianni is one of those "special" wrestlers that come along from time to time. He just wins, no matter what. I think Lee/Yianni could be virtually identical in skill/tenacity and Yianni would still find a way to win, the fun part will be in seeing how he does it.

12 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I was going to choose Pletcher to go 2-0, but then I learned of the phenomena called "keep coming-ness" and I flipped to Lee 2-0.

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/wrestling/article_3f17bf18-507c-11ea-92c3-03a6ca292fce.html

LOL.....Wonder if Ryan was an English major when he graduated from Iowa? Good article, btw.

Edited by TobusRex