Sign in to follow this  
Cementmixer103

Predict the top 8 at Heavyweight

Maybe we could turn this into a pool, if enough people would participate?

$10 a person. All of the losers donate to the winners RTC, WFL or charity of choice.

Have to pick the top 8 correctly, or person closest is winner (Ex. 7/8 correct, etc.)

Edited to add: Have to not only pick the top 8 but where they place, as well.

Looking at Heavyweight and 2 things stood out..

1. Lots of underclassmen

2. Ton of depth. 

I can see a case being made for 15, 16 guys to AA. Maybe that's true with most weights, I just never remember heavy being like this.

Parris, Steveson and Cass are the top 3. Too bad Cassar is injured. Would've loved to see him deny Gable a title again, this year.

Alright, after those three you have Stencel, Hilger, Hall, Wood, Hokit - All of them returning All-Americans.

That's 8 guys right there.

Then you have guys like Orndoff, Nevills (who's taken losses but has beaten AA's in the past), Yaraslau, Gremmel, the kid from Wyoming, Demetrius Thomas, Heino, Traub.

Now, I don't think Heino, Gremmel, etc. will be National finalist but I do think they're talented enough to grab a podium spot. 

I feel like 8-16 can all beat each other on any given day. 

Just a thought. Anyone interested?

Edited by Cementmixer103

I like the aggression Traub is showing on the mat. Could show great dividends the last couple tourneys this year.

I think the top 3 are clearly Steveson, Parris, and Cassioppi, with Cassioppi a little behind those other two guys. I think any of those 3 guys has the potential to beat the others and will be the top 3 finishers. I'm not even going to attempt a prediction for 4-8th, it's too big a logjam at heavy.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

I like the aggression Traub is showing on the mat. Could show great dividends the last couple tourneys this year.

I think the top 3 are clearly Steveson, Parris, and Cassioppi, with Cassioppi a little behind those other two guys. I think any of those 3 guys has the potential to beat the others and will be the top 3 finishers. I'm not even going to attempt a prediction for 4-8th, it's too big a logjam at heavy.

Yeah, I think people were kinda joking about 'Gas Tank' Gary, in the begining but I wouldn't be taking him so lightly anymore. He seems motivated and there's no quit in him. 

Also, he has Tervel as a coach which doesn't hurt.

Definitely making the most of his situation.

Without Cassar in the mix, the big guys (with the exception of Parris & Cassioppi) don’t really excite me.

Lent is coming. I think as an added penance I may watch a few heavyweight matches without hitting the fast forward button. ;0

Edited by Marcus Cisero

11 hours ago, Cementmixer103 said:

Yeah, I think people were kinda joking about 'Gas Tank' Gary, in the begining but I wouldn't be taking him so lightly anymore. He seems motivated and there's no quit in him. 

Also, he has Tervel as a coach which doesn't hurt.

Definitely making the most of his situation.

Good point, totally overlooked Tervel! Hope Traub makes the podium, think he's a Sr.

1 minute ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Without Cassar in the mix, the big guys (with the exception of Parris) don’t really excite me.

Lent is coming. I think as an added penance I may watch a few heavyweight matches without hitting the fast forward button. ;0

If you really want to punish yourself let me recommend Tony Nelson...

7 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Without Cassar in the mix, the big guys (with the exception of Parris & Cassioppi) don’t really excite me.

Give Traub from Ohio State a watch. Guy is coming on at the right time and showing aggressiveness on the mat. He gave Cassioppi all he could handle a little while back.

I think Cass is top 3 when it comes to talent, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he finishes out of top 3, maybe top 5, come the tournament. We’ve seen this in freshman HWTs before. He’s been in big tournaments before. But it’s a different kind of grind. 

10 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Is there a PayPal to send entries to? You can PM me if you’d like.

Nah, keep entries posted here. I'll find it and bump the thread when needed.

As far as $, I'm gonna just work on the honor system here. Everyone (so far just me and you) can donate themselves, when they lose. 

I'm guessing this will get more of a response after conference tournaments. 

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Good point, totally overlooked Tervel! Hope Traub makes the podium, think he's a Sr.

RS Junior.

I wonder if Singletary stays at hwt or cuts down to 197 when he comes back. I have no idea how much he weighs, the cut might be out of the question.

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Give Traub from Ohio State a watch. Guy is coming on at the right time and showing aggressiveness on the mat. He gave Cassioppi all he could handle a little while back.

Though I am a Cassioppi/Hawk fan. I do hope Traub AA's. I became a fan of his during the PSU match and wasn't too happy they called stalling in the middle of a reversal and had to restart on bottom while riding time was accumulating. Weird call. Glad he won. 

Edited by Daybreak

4 hours ago, Cementmixer103 said:

RS Junior.

I wonder if Singletary stays at hwt or cuts down to 197 when he comes back. I have no idea how much he weighs, the cut might be out of the question.

All information on the Ohio boards are pointing to Singletary moving to 197.  I think that is a GREAT move for him.  I see him being an AA threat at 197 next year. 

9 hours ago, 77again said:

Haha! Picking Cass over Parris is true Hawkeye faithful.

Nah I have no dog in the fight. I just think that while Parris has the stick and the higher ceiling, Cassioppi will have better coaching and has been through roughly 487 national tournaments already so experience will play a factor. Besides if you think I'm wrong then I'll be donating $10 to your local kids club :)