Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Who will the individual champs be?

4 minutes ago, Force118 said:

woods beat Gfeller, who is pretty tough-he holds a win over finesilver at 149.

No one is sleeping on Real Woods. He just hasn’t faced many ranked opponents yet. I also wouldn’t sleep on Murin from what you seen against Red.

Edited by Daybreak

55 minutes ago, pamela said:

Not a lot of variance in predictions. Any guesses who could be the Mekhi Lewis, Drew Foster or Tariq Wilson (YKWIM) of 2020? Seems like this year could be ripe for a number of guys to make a surprise through the bracket.

I like the way Traub is wrestling for Ohio State - fearlessly. Tried to go upper body on a much bigger Cassioppi. I think he sneaks in at 7th or 8th at NCAAs. I like Wittlake's chances to AA as well.

19 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Gfeller is not as good as Chad Red or Mitch McKee and is not a starter on his own team.

I think that's due to academic issues from commentary I've read on this board. A shame, I like watching him wrestle.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

That would set some lips to flapping

Sebastian Rivera "It was tough, man.  Mueller came to wrestle."

Mueller about the Lee match.

Spencer Lee is a great wrestler, fantastic guy, amazing.  He is a 2x NCAA champ, world champ, and one of the best HS prospects we ever had.  That gets to your head.  The whole tournament, I was going forward.  My first step in the finals match was back.  I was scared.  I gave him too much respect.  I watched a lot of film on Sebastian but not on Lee. There are things that I could do differently but that is in the past.  I know I will never give anyone that much respect again.  I know how good I am, how hard I work, and I deserve it.  But he is a great wrestler and I want that match back.  I am going to get him.

14 hours ago, jross said:

Jack Mueller over Spencer Lee.

I’m a huge Spencer fan, but this would not be completely shocking.  Mueller is really tough, especially if he gets a TD( beast on top), and will have a 8-10 lb advantage by Sat night finals...assuming he makes it.  

27 minutes ago, jross said:

I recall that interview vividly and its because of this and knowing how good Mueller truly is that will result in Lee's defeat this time around. Where the mind goes so does the body. Mueller beats Lee by 2-3.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

12 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I recall that interview vividly and its because of this and knowing how good Mueller truly is that will result in Lee's defeat this time around. Where the mind goes so does the body. Mueller beats Lee by 2-3.

The other side of that is that Lee really seems to have stepped it up a notch, or two, this season. Mueller may have missed his chance.  Lee has his mind going places too...

It's very easy to look at a wrestler as the sum of his skill set. However, great wrestlers like Gable, John Smith, and Burroughs are supreme competitors. They find a way to win. IMO, Spencer Lee is one of those competitors. Mueller may beat him, but he is not going to be able to replay the last match. It ain't that simply against a competitor.

1 hour ago, jross said:

Great kids. I love it when guys praise their opponents. Kind of weird a guy from Dallas ending up at UVA, lol. Mueller reminds me of Jesse Pinkman, lol.

Edited by TobusRex

I'll admit I don't watch that much college wrestling, but, the amount of people picking Parris over Gable is eye opening. 

If Mueller didn't beat Lee after he was 75% for half the season last year what makes people think he has a chance this year? I agree Lee won't be as dominant over Mueller as he is against the rest of the country, but, I don't see what Mueller brings to the table that can beat a healthy Lee.

Strength? No....not even close, Lee dominated NATO 2 years ago in the Finals as a 19 year old kid and NATO is one of the strongest 125lber's of all time. 

Scrambling? HA. 

Technique? Again....HA.....

Maybe Mueller surprises everyone and beats him, but, I am just thinking how that will happen....(Note, if either is injured the prediction of a win/close match is null). 

1 minute ago, MrDream said:

I'll admit I don't watch that much college wrestling, but, the amount of people picking Parris over Gable is eye opening. 

If Mueller didn't beat Lee after he was 75% for half the season last year what makes people think he has a chance this year? I agree Lee won't be as dominant over Mueller as he is against the rest of the country, but, I don't see what Mueller brings to the table that can beat a healthy Lee.

Strength? No....not even close, Lee dominated NATO 2 years ago in the Finals as a 19 year old kid and NATO is one of the strongest 125lber's of all time. 

Scrambling? HA. 

Technique? Again....HA.....

Maybe Mueller surprises everyone and beats him, but, I am just thinking how that will happen....(Note, if either is injured the prediction of a win/close match is null). 

Nato never lost in the national finals.  He went 1-3-3-3.

17 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Because he hasn't beaten anybody.  Max Murin's win over Mitch McKee would be, by far, Woods' best win.

He's wrestled a pretty weak schedule so far, not the meat grinder of the Big 10. That could be a good thing though, he might be fresher for NCAAs. Wrestled a pretty tough match vs Pletcher, so I'd say he's a legit AA candidate in light of his record.

125 - Spencer Lee

133 - Roman Bravo Young

141 - Nick Lee

149 - Brock Mauller

157 - Hayden Hidlay

165 - Vincenzo Joseph

174 - Mark Hall

184 - Zahid Valencia

197 - Kollin Moore

285 - Mason Parris

35 minutes ago, MrDream said:

People like aggressive wrestlers. Plus Parris had enough strength/power that he can possibly throw Gable, which is huge. Steveson probably isn't the least concerned. Should be a great match if they meet.

40 minutes ago, MrDream said:

Reasons it is possible for Mueller to win.

• Mental strength.
  • Adaptation.  It is challenging to beat great opponents multiple times.
  • Transitive wins.  Mueller handled Rivera soundly, who twice beat Lee.  Rivera beat Lee from their feet.  Mueller beat Rivera from their feet.
  • Mueller is tough on his feet and is tough on top.  
  • Weird things happen.  Lee once lost by pinfall to Piccininni.
  • It is difficult to be a 4-peat champion.
Edited by jross