Sign in to follow this  
dps831

RBY vs Seth Gross - Match Study

Good stuff. Gross is such a savvy wrestler. RBY looked good, too, and almost pulled it out at the end.

BTW, this may be RBY's best shot at winning a title, simply because the competition will be so stiff going forward. The redshirts come back next year: Fix, Micic, Suriano, and possibly Vito*. And then there's Rivera and DeSanto. Add in RBY, and there's 7 legit title contenders at 133. Nuts. Whomever wins the title next year will have earned it.

* With Tucker graduating, and with Greg D. coming in at 125, I think Vito bumps up to 133.

2 hours ago, wrestleFan12 said:

Good stuff. Gross is such a savvy wrestler. RBY looked good, too, and almost pulled it out at the end.

BTW, this may be RBY's best shot at winning a title, simply because the competition will be so stiff going forward. The redshirts come back next year: Fix, Micic, Suriano, and possibly Vito*. And then there's Rivera and DeSanto. Add in RBY, and there's 7 legit title contenders at 133. Nuts. Whomever wins the title next year will have earned it.

* With Tucker graduating, and with Greg D. coming in at 125, I think Vito bumps up to 133.

Suriano isn’t coming back, and fix may be 125, it would definitely be OSU best line up and he wrestles 57 kg pretty much year round now 

13 hours ago, wrestleFan12 said:

Damn - that is an insane list of potential guys at 133 next year. 

13 hours ago, russelscout said:

With my understanding of the rules, I don't get how that first shot by RBY is not a takedown. He has both legs covered and Gross is on his butt.

His body was out to the side of his legs. While he did have them wrapped, the way you see it called is with your body covering the legs, not perpendicular. 

Black and white of the rules aside, that and the one PSU reviewed should be takedowns. These matches, especially high level matches, that get won by the guy spending the whole match bailing out makes me wanna go all @LJB on folkstyle rules. 

Edited by Lurker

16 minutes ago, Aviator12 said:

Come back where?

Rumors are swirling that Papa Suriano was pissed that Rutgers brought Nato in to their RTC.  As such, it is being said that Nick won't be returning and may be going right into MMA.  Mind you, these are still rumors at this point.

58 minutes ago, Lurker said:

His body was out to the side of his legs. While he did have them wrapped, the way you see it called is with your body covering the legs, not perpendicular. 

Black and white of the rules aside, that and the one PSU reviewed should be takedowns. These matches, especially high level matches, that get won by the guy spending the whole match bailing out makes me wanna go all @LJB on folkstyle rules. 

What about sitting on an ankle and not improving your position?  Also, did you miss the part where Gross spladled RBY?  That might have had something to due with winning the match.

1 minute ago, jchapman said:

What about sitting on an ankle and not improving your position?  Also, did you miss the part where Gross spladled RBY?  That might have had something to due with winning the match.

I agree with you on the riding of the ankle. Another example of I guess according to the black and white rule it was called the right way, but I don’t like that that is the right call. I also agree the spladel situation was clear points for Gross and the advantage he got out of the scenario was right. Not saying the wrong guy won. I‘m saying the guy that won did a lot of bailing out. 

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I agree with you on the riding of the ankle. Another example of I guess according to the black and white rule it was called the right way, but I don’t like that that is the right call. I also agree the spladel situation was clear points for Gross and the advantage he got out of the scenario was right. Not saying the wrong guy won. I‘m saying the guy that won did a lot of bailing out. 

Counter wrestling is a style.  Just ask Randy Lewis!