Sign in to follow this  
TobusRex

Terry Brands Should be a Head Coach

What's the story with Terry Brands? Why isn't he head coach somewhere by now? I know he probably likes working for his twin, but the guy has serious chops and tons of coaching experience by now. Why doesn't a program somewhere make him an offer? Why didn't OU offer Terry instead of Lou (not a dig at Lou, just curious)?

Edited by TobusRex

5 minutes ago, Boompa said:

I once heard that he doesn't want the responsibility of being the head coach and that he wants to just work with the wrestlers.

This would make sense. If he wanted a HC job, he’d have one. Always got the feeling he was more of just a work with the athletes type of guy. He’s in a great position to do just that with the Univ and the RTC, and do it with his brother. IF that is the case, Why go anywhere?  

Edited by Lurker

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This would make sense. If he wanted a HC job, he’d have one. Always got the feeling he was more of just a work with the athletes type of guy. He’s in a great position to do just that with the Univ and the RTC, and do it with his brother. Why go anywhere. 

It's not always about the money or prestige. For some, its about being where you want to be and being where your meant to be. My bet is Terry would never coach elsewhere, not for all the tea in China.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Why didn't OU offer Terry instead of Lou (not a dig at Lou, just curious)?

I think if Terry wants that job he gets it. Like others have said, Terry loves coaching and working with the athletes. He doesn't love the administrative side of it. He and Tom compliment each other very well in this sense. Tom is great with the administrative side. Terry in my opinion is the best hands on coach in the country. Plus, I think the Brand's bros are very close. They like working with each other.

8 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I don't get it. What does Mike Stoops incompetence have to do with Terry Brands? You think Iowa would fire Terry if his brother wasn't running interference? 

Would they have hired Mike as a head coach?  Where did they have to put Mike during the games?

13 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Before Cael signed with PSU I was hoping he would take over setting up a true Brands vs Brands rivalry.

When Cael took the PSU job I really wanted Terry to get the ISU job. Not only would we get a Brands vs. Brands match, but we would also get a another edition of Brands vs. Sanderson. We might have got a Brands vs. Schwab match as well. Oh well. 

14 hours ago, pamela said:

Is it the same story with Casey Cunningham? Would rather work with the wrestlers than deal with hc administrative stuff? 

The only time it was reported that he threw his name in for a coaching gig was the Michigan one.  Though I don't know if that was "official" - given that, I'd say he'd take a head coaching job but is very selective. 

9 hours ago, TexRef said:

When Cael took the PSU job I really wanted Terry to get the ISU job. Not only would we get a Brands vs. Brands match, but we would also get a another edition of Brands vs. Sanderson. We might have got a Brands vs. Schwab match as well. Oh well. 

I like this!

villains are  useful and exciting

Edited by GockeS

I would say after leaving UTC Terry was fine with being an assistant to his brother. I am sure Terry does his share of admin work as he has the knowledge and HC experience. 

There is definitely something special about coaching with your brother and at your alma mater. I don't see Terry leaving and when it is time for either of the Brands to call it a day, I expect the other to follow suit.

JMO but I believe there is some validity to my post. 

1 minute ago, Cruiser94 said:

I would say after leaving UTC Terry was fine with being an assistant to his brother. I am sure Terry does his share of admin work as he has the knowledge and HC experience. 

There is definitely something special about coaching with your brother and at your alma mater. I don't see Terry leaving and when it is time for either of the Brands to call it a day, I expect the other to follow suit.

JMO but I believe there is some validity to my post. 

I can't speak from experience because I don't have a twin, but I have been around a couple sets. Some moved a part after college and had little contact. Some have too much of a bond to not live in the same town and keep constant contact. Im sure that plays a part too.