Sign in to follow this  
malcolmJfromPA

Enough Points

With Berge back!!!!  I think PSU will have enough points to win the BIG tourney.  I think in a smaller field PSU can win the tourney but NCAA's they may not.  They should out place Iowa  @ 141, 165, 174 and 184.  But I think they keep it real close @ ,149,157.  133 may come down to the seeds as to places higher.  Iowa has a much bigger point advantage at 125, 197 and HWT.  This is so unpredictable and things still keep changing.   This is going to be a great post season and will have so much more possibilities come March.

Contrary to what the pastry chef predicted in another thread. I think Berge qualifies for NCAAs. At 100 percent he's the 2nd best 157 in the Big10 imo. He is a winner and he'll be in good enough shape to take one of the allocated spots. 

Edited by TBar1977

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Contrary to what the pastry chef predicted in another thread. I think Berge qualifies for NCAAs. At 100 percent he's the best 157 in the Big10 imo. He is a winner and he'll be in good enough shape to take one of the allocated spots. 

You think Berge is better than Deakin?

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

And at his current health/conditioning level where would you place him in the B10?

His current status is irrelevent, its what his health should be at Big10's. If he is wrestling then between him and Cael there is good reason. You should know that. 

32 minutes ago, malcolmJfromPA said:

With Berge back!!!!  I think PSU will have enough points to win the BIG tourney.  I think in a smaller field PSU can win the tourney but NCAA's they may not.  They should out place Iowa  @ 141, 165, 174 and 184.  But I think they keep it real close @ ,149,157.  133 may come down to the seeds as to places higher.  Iowa has a much bigger point advantage at 125, 197 and HWT.  This is so unpredictable and things still keep changing.   This is going to be a great post season and will have so much more possibilities come March.

I think you have this backwards. NCAA really favors high placements. At the NCAA's they have potential finalists at 133,141, 165, 174, 184. That alone is enough to win the NCAA in some years. At the Big10's Iowa has a huge advantage. 
          IOWA        PSU
125-    1st           14th

133-    3rd            2nd

141-   3rd            1st

149-   2nd            10th

157-   2nd             12ish(will likely finish higher)

165-  2nd             1st

174-   1st            2nd

184-    3rd          1st

197-    3rd           6th

285-    3rd          6th?

Iowa's consistency serves them very well in the BIG10 tourney.

Edited by russelscout

I guess we have to wait and see.   That's why I think this year is so much fun.  Great for wrestling and good for the fans to have the ability to argue the race.  The last few years or so has been who gets second and if the Brands bros will lose their minds chasing.   Good to see the fight this year.

15 minutes ago, malcolmJfromPA said:

Who would place higher than him besides Deakin and Young?  The Kinner match is a throw away.  Its truly not relevant as he is going to get in much better wrestling shape by then.

At this point Coleman, Lewan, Tucker, Robb, Thomas and Kinner could plausibly beat him.

43 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Contrary to what the pastry chef predicted in another thread. I think Berge qualifies for NCAAs. At 100 percent he's the 2nd best 157 in the Big10 imo. He is a winner and he'll be in good enough shape to take one of the allocated spots. 

Come on now.  The guy has a grand total of one (1) win at the weight class as a starter.  

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

At this point Coleman, Lewan, Tucker, Robb, Thomas and Kinner could plausibly beat him.

The guy is a junior world medalist, has wins over over guys like Lugo whose ranked #2 and Degan whose an AA, and bc he missed a few months and lost a close match at the end to Kinner ( who will be at worst be an AA in the his career) he’s now below lewan, tucker, Thomas and Robb ? Seriously 

Other then beating Pantelo when he had mono last year lewan best win of his career is beating tucker or Robb 

Edited by Antitroll2828

7 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Come on now.  The guy has a grand total of one (1) win at the weight class as a starter.  

And? 

He will still take an allocated spot come Big10's. Sanderson obviously believes that and there is no reason I should doubt it. 

29 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The guy is a junior world medalist, has wins over over guys like Lugo whose ranked #2 and Degan whose an AA, and bc he missed a few months and lost a close match at the end to Kinner ( who will be at worst be an AA in the his career) he’s now below lewan, tucker, Thomas and Robb ? Seriously 

Other then beating Pantelo when he had mono last year lewan best win of his career is beating tucker or Robb 

Depends on how quickly he can return to form.

Berge lost to Kinner

Kinner lost to Robb

Robb lost to Lewan and Tucker

Tucker lost to Thomas

Lewan lost to Coleman

Seems like those guys are all pretty close. Berge will need to improve greatly compared to what he showed against Kinner in order to beat them.

22 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

And? 

He will still take an allocated spot come Big10's. Sanderson obviously believes that and there is no reason I should doubt it. 

Taking a qualifier spot and being 2nd best in the Big 10 are two different things.

I like the kid, but he hasn't shown that he's better than 2 - 5 in the Big 10 yet, and "100% Berge" only exists in theory.  

7 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Taking a qualifier spot and being 2nd best in the Big 10 are two different things.

I like the kid, but he hasn't shown that he's better than 2 - 5 in the Big 10 yet, and "100% Berge" only exists in theory.  

I never said they were the same thing, for starters. I didn't even say he was 2nd best today or that he'd be 2nd best at Big10's, just that he is 2nd best based purely on talent when he's 100 percent. I will stand by that opinion based on his Junior Trials, Junior Worlds, and U23 Trials performances + performances from last year. Guy has wins over Carr, Lugo and  others that are as good or better than 2-5 in the Big10. 

Edited by TBar1977

25 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Depends on how quickly he can return to form.

Berge lost to Kinner

Kinner lost to Robb

Robb lost to Lewan and Tucker

Tucker lost to Thomas

Lewan lost to Coleman

Seems like those guys are all pretty close. Berge will need to improve greatly compared to what he showed against Kinner in order to beat them.

Well honestly I’ve been watching Kinner wrestle for about 6 years now and if he were a full size 157 I believe he would be the #2 guy in the big ten, the guy is the real deal and Tom Ryan has just been butchering the kids weight situation, so I don’t take to much from a first match back Berge losing one late against him, and Berge wrestles a style very similar to Lugo or phillipi where almost every match is somewhat close and he’s content to win 3-2 and that leaves you vulnerable for what happened against OSU 

I’m not betting my life Berge AAs this year and the fact he’s going to be one of the last 2-3 seeds at big tens I think he ll end up taking something like 5th and end up with a garbage seed at ncaas but the talent is there and a month is a good amount of time to improve on conditioning and recent history shows Cael gets guys ready

25 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I’m not betting my life Berge AAs this year and the fact he’s going to be one of the last 2-3 seeds at big tens I think he ll end up taking something like 5th and end up with a garbage seed at ncaas but the talent is there and a month is a good amount of time to improve on conditioning and recent history shows Cael gets guys ready

Well I think we're basically agreeing then.  If he takes 5th or something then most likely 2 of the guys I listed finish ahead of him.   Of course he can also improve between B10's and NCAA's.