Sign in to follow this  
ConnorsDad

Who has the best team of backups?

10 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Are there B-team duals and such in D1? I remember in HS that the big schools (4A back then) would send their backups around wrestling smaller schools (A and 2A, mainly). They usually beat the A teams and most of the time were competitive with the 2A schools. 

National Collegiate Open?

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Damn. Forgot about Cornell.

Well to be fair we probably shouldn’t be counting grayshirts since they’re not going to school there yet and according to Cornell fans they spend “little time” with the Cornell staff.

4 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

That we can agree on and I apologize for the snarky response but the mentality PA fans seem to have on these boards is... If it isnt PA it isnt wrestling and its run its course.

I disagree completely. There may be a few Pa. fans who exhibit over-the-top exuberance for Pa. wrestling exclusively, but I think most are willing to give respect and congratulations to wrestlers and programs from other states. I have repeatedly expressed my respect and admiration for the Brands brothers and the way they run their program at Iowa. The individuals in the Iowa program are also a testament to how living right and cultivating the right attitude makes the sport greater. I don't plan on rooting for Iowa in the B10 or NCAA tournaments, but I recognize and appreciate their greatness. 

4 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

That we can agree on and I apologize for the snarky response but the mentality PA fans seem to have on these boards is... If it isnt PA it isnt wrestling and its run its course.

I get annoyed by the constant Pennsylvania worship in this forum. Yeah, they have the best HS wrestling in the country, but that's because of participation numbers more than anything else. Steel sharpens steel, there's nothing magical about it.  Frankly I'm more impressed with California State Champions because there is only 1 class at state. 

8 hours ago, pa in taiwan said:

I disagree completely. There may be a few Pa. fans who exhibit over-the-top exuberance for Pa. wrestling exclusively, but I think most are willing to give respect and congratulations to wrestlers and programs from other states. I have repeatedly expressed my respect and admiration for the Brands brothers and the way they run their program at Iowa. The individuals in the Iowa program are also a testament to how living right and cultivating the right attitude makes the sport greater. I don't plan on rooting for Iowa in the B10 or NCAA tournaments, but I recognize and appreciate their greatness. 

Agreed.  Just love goos programs trying to get better. I love to see what the acc has done recently.

14 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I get annoyed by the constant Pennsylvania worship in this forum. Yeah, they have the best HS wrestling in the country, but that's because of participation numbers more than anything else. Steel sharpens steel, there's nothing magical about it.  Frankly I'm more impressed with California State Champions because there is only 1 class at state. 

The constant PA "worship" is due to the fact that the state traditionally produces the most top level talent. It has nothing to do with their participation numbers. If Alaska or Georgia or Alabama produced similar results they would be the talk of the town. And its not just this forum, its the entire wrestling community as a whole.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

14 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I think you're a little off base on this one.  Illinois, California, New York, New Jersey, Texas and Ohio all have more participants than PA.  PA isn't even in the top 25 in terms of participation on a % basis (neither is OH, NJ, NY or CA).  

Participation is a prerequisite but it hardly guarantees a state will produce elite talent.  Hell, 40% of the guys ranked in top 20 world freestyle rankings right now come from a region with roughly the same population as Oklahoma.   

46 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I think you're a little off base on this one.  Illinois, California, New York, New Jersey, Texas and Ohio all have more participants than PA.  PA isn't even in the top 25 in terms of participation on a % basis (neither is OH, NJ, NY or CA).  

This has been mentioned before but you can't go by the NFHS numbers for participation for Pa. The PIAA approximates by taking a guess at the average of 20 per participating school. The published survey showed Pa with 9460 (473 schools). The actual numbers are more like 10,900 which puts much closer to most mentioned and ahead of NJ. I know the numbers because I get a full dump of them for the PIAA Team States.

43 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

This has been mentioned before but you can't go by the NFHS numbers for participation for Pa. The PIAA approximates by taking a guess at the average of 20 per participating school. The published survey showed Pa with 9460 (473 schools). The actual numbers are more like 10,900 which puts much closer to most mentioned and ahead of NJ. I know the numbers because I get a full dump of them for the PIAA Team States.

Terrific, thanks.  Not all that meaningful, but good info nonetheless.  

Is there a pulse on the popularity of year-round wrestling for different states?  I am dumbfounded to hear about North East USA kids that wrestle 100 to 200 matches a year starting at 10-12 years of age.  Do families in Pennsylvania have to actively seek out year-round wrestling opportunities or is it a well-organized, highly available offering?

As a Kansas youth during the 80s/90s, I did not know that year-round wrestling was an option.  I was a state champion and multiple time medalist that was ignorant of larger tournaments like Fargo, Tulsa Nationals, etc. and ignorant of freestyle + greco.  I'd get around 30 matches per folkstyle season.  In high school,  my coach (and parents) didn't tell me about the seniors national tournament.  There still isn't much information in Kansas for year-round youth wrestling.  As a sport comparison, I have a youth daughter in competitive gymnastics that trains year-round at 18-22 weekly hours.  She has a handful of local gyms to choose to train in.  For her gymnastics, we've been to Tennessee, Texas, Colorado, etc. and we are in Florida today for a tournament.