Sign in to follow this  
86_90

Cayle Byers transferring to Iowa per Andy Hamilton

He made R12 as a soph & was 17-1 this year, beating Kilgore & losing 4-5 to Simaz - all while wrestling at George Mason. Perfect opportunity for him - should be a high AA next year with his new coaches.

I have been far from perfect in my life, so I don't mind seeing others get a second chance.

I agree with the poster above me. I don't know why so many people hate to see people get second, or maybe third chances. We have to remember that they are kids and are bound to make mistakes. Hell, truth be told some of you aren't the best people either and you are way older and supposedly wiser. I am an Iowa fan and this will probably make the team better next year. However, I don't feel PSU sold theirsoul for Long. THEY GAVE HIM A SHOT. THEY ALSO GAVE G. SCOTT a shot. IT didn't work out so they let him go. I except they will do the same for Long and Iowa will do the same for Byers. Look what they did to Marion.

I'll take him on the team...and if you're a PSU or OSU fan and say you wouldn't you're full of crap. Your teams sure as heck wanted him.

Dang right they wanted him.... One school was offering a full ride and the other was over 50% and I'm pretty sure it was in the 80% range. So yes, both OSU and PSU wanted this guy bad to spend that type of money on the kid.

Flying tiger you are a huge douche bag. No other way to state it other than that. I have seen first hand the **** that andrew has done, you can disregard that but it only makes you a bigger douche bag. Thanks to Penn state for all the years of dominance and wins that I have got to witness and over fans like you that are complete morons.

I'll take him on the team...and if you're a PSU or OSU fan and say you wouldn't you're full of crap. Your teams sure as heck wanted him.

Damn right we'd take him, Foster graduates this year and though Rosholt has shown all the heart in the world, he doesn't look that talented for a replacement next year.

Everyone wants to jump on Iowa for taking Cayle Byers but OKLAHOMA STATE & PENN STATE also tried their best to secure his services and offered him a wrestling scholarship.

I am sure you are in the loop on who OSU & Penn State make offers to, oh wait no I imagine that is a load of crap like most posts on this site are these days.

I know nothing of his situation, besides what has been said on here. But was this a one time thing? Or has he been in trouble before?

First offense I know of, however it appears that it was serious enough for George Mason to kick him off the team

I know nothing of his situation, besides what has been said on here. But was this a one time thing? Or has he been in trouble before?

First offense I know of, however it appears that it was serious enough for George Mason to kick him off the team

Yea, I would have guessed it's pretty serious, but they also could have a zero tolerance policy too. I'm not condoning the behavior by any means, but hopefully it was a one time thing and that is in the past now. Good luck to him at Iowa--we are looking forward to his arrival!

Everyone wants to jump on Iowa for taking Cayle Byers but OKLAHOMA STATE & PENN STATE also tried their best to secure his services and offered him a wrestling scholarship.

I am sure you are in the loop on who OSU & Penn State make offers to, oh wait no I imagine that is a load of crap like most posts on this site are these days.

It was mentioned in the article that those 2 teams were after him.

It was mentioned in the article that those 2 teams were after him.

A couple more too...

Virginia Tech, Nebraska, Cal Poly and Indiana

Did he "beat the rap"? In that he was accused of a serious offense (Felony) did he or will he have to serve jail time if convicted? I assume he was accused of drunk and disorderly, resisting arrest and spitting on police officers.

OMG, where do I start!?

Certainly, some of the Iowa fans cannot be happy with this based on how judgmental and outraged they were about Long to PSU. I'll help you guys out and pull some of your comments up for you so you don't have to repeat yourselves.

"this move would come off a little desperate and no need to do it with a strong young nucleus. it would send the wrong message to his kids and risk team chemistry.".......Gold_Medal 11/29/10

what's wrong w/that? the funny thing is after you blew your troll whistle when i posted this, one of your local writers made a similar statement.

No Joke, HatchetJack. Although it is funny that now the wrestling community will have ammo against Iowa that has been recently targeted towards PSU and even Edinboro.

86_90 if you follow my link from above you will see exactly what he did...but HJ just stated it as well.

Yeah. The wrestling community seriously needs ammo to go after Iowa....

HJ gets it....work with me Vak. When was the last time Iowa brought someone in that had been dismissed from ANOTHER program?

January 2011?

Just this year, Iowa allowed Marion back on the team after he was dismissed from their own program.

As far as the Byers situation, I haven't heard anything indicating that this is any sort of pattern with him. Has he ever been in trouble before? Young, athletic, competitive men can sometimes end up in fights - especially wrestlers. For Byers, it may have occurred at the wrong place, wrong time. Obviously he lost his temper and did some very stupid things. I sure did that many times when I was his age, I was just lucky to never end up with such serious charges against me. I would guess same goes for most guys on here. If this was a one-time occurrence for Byers, I can understand giving him another chance. I'm sure if he is actually admitted to Iowa and eligible, that Brands will have him on a very short leash. This all assumes he doesn't end up doing jail time for the incident.

As previously stated Byers was out on the street so it was transfer or be done so his case is in fact different to Long . Long new the whole time he could work his way back and the opportunity was there to do it, he did not however take them up on it. One guy passed on trying to make things good and the other was not given a chance to make things good. I'll add that while spitting towards the police is not a good idea it is still more mild than hip tossing a cop to the ground and having to be tasered on two different occasions in the same evening like with Long.

I saw this around midnight last night and I must say it made my whole weekend. Not only picking up a stud that fill the ONLY hole we will have next year, but also the fact I know it irritates, upsets, and bothers all the Iowa haters. I look forward 300,000 different topics flyingtiger, wire, and the like will start and post about in the next year. The more it bothers you guys the more it pleases me. Welcome to Iowa Cayle!!!

HJ gets it....work with me Vak. When was the last time Iowa brought someone in that had been dismissed from ANOTHER program?

January 2011?

Just this year, Iowa allowed Marion back on the team after he was dismissed from their own program.

What part of dismissed from another program does not register?

Off the top of my head, prior to Byers the last guy was possibly the ISU kid Todd? somthing, way back around 20 years ago.

January 2011?

What part of dismissed from another program does not register?

Off the top of my head, prior to Byers the last guy was possibly the ISU kid Todd? somthing, way back around 20 years ago.

I saw the part about another program, and was posting 1/2 in jest. Doesn't change the fact that Marion was indeed kicked off the team, and Iowa backtracked and allowed him to wrestle.

But, read my post. I have no problem with Iowa giving Byers a 2nd chance (assuming this isn't typical behavior for him).

BTW, according the police report, Byers got in a fight, and when cops came to break it up, he spit on them. Not saying that's a "good thing", but it's certainly different from fighting/hitting cops that others were talking about.

ASSAULT ON POLICE-ARREST, 11/8/2010, 3200 block of N. Pershing Drive On November 6 at 1:30 am, a man assaulted another man. When police arrive, the suspect also spit on an officer. Cayle Byers, 21, of an unknown address, was charged with Assault on Law Enforcement and Drunk in Public. He was held without bond.

http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/p ... =11/8/2010