Sign in to follow this  
86_90

Cayle Byers transferring to Iowa per Andy Hamilton

Good to hear. With Uncle Luke the only guy lost to graduation next season, 197# was a hole in the lineup. With Byers and the other returning 9 starters, plus a few top tier RS fr entering the picture, Iowa is looking in great shape for next season.

Actually, Janssen the 165 is a senior also, so only 8 returning starters. Just a minor point though as they have lots of options to fill that spot next year.

George Mason did what they needed to do. Byers made it pretty easy for them. Now though, there is a comodity on the auction block that several programs have decided is worth the risk to buy. Is buying the comodity going to have it's intended result, without the realistic future problems and percieved flaws in the comodity being part of the package? That will not be known for a while, as we wait to see if the young man was acting somewhat out of character, and he has changed his ways, or if he is a legitimate bad seed, and his character actually is the problem, in which case, his shortcomings will surface again, probably at a most inopportune time. Iowa has historically had more than thier share of guys who have trouble making good choices. and I cant think of any who were ever permanantly dismissed for discipline issues,excluding academic casualties, although there may be some.

James Madison did what they needed to do. Byers made it pretty easy for them. Now though, there is a comodity on the auction block that several programs have decided is worth the risk to buy. Is buying the comodity going to have it's intended result, without the realistic future problems and percieved flaws in the comodity being part of the package? That will not be known for a while, as we wait to see if the young man was acting somewhat out of character, and he has changed his ways, or if he is a legitimate bad seed, and his character actually is the problem, in which case, his shortcomings will surface again, probably at a most inopportune time. Iowa has historically had more than thier share of guys who have trouble making good choices. and I cant think of any who were ever permanantly dismissed for discipline issues,excluding academic casualties, although there may be some.

I believe you meant George Mason. Otherwise, Im not sure I understand your point about IOWA and poor decisions. I think historically they have a track record of putting the responsibility of behavioral rehab back on the athlete, eg Slaton and Marion, and let the chips fall where they may. Actually, I think most D1 programs are pretty much taking the same route and IOWA is nothing special in this area.

James Madison did what they needed to do. Byers made it pretty easy for them. Now though, there is a comodity on the auction block that several programs have decided is worth the risk to buy. Is buying the comodity going to have it's intended result, without the realistic future problems and percieved flaws in the comodity being part of the package? That will not be known for a while, as we wait to see if the young man was acting somewhat out of character, and he has changed his ways, or if he is a legitimate bad seed, and his character actually is the problem, in which case, his shortcomings will surface again, probably at a most inopportune time. Iowa has historically had more than thier share of guys who have trouble making good choices. and I cant think of any who were ever permanantly dismissed for discipline issues,excluding academic casualties, although there may be some.

I believe you meant George Mason. Otherwise, Im not sure I understand your point about IOWA and poor decisions. I think historically they have a track record of putting the responsibility of behavioral rehab back on the athlete, eg Slaton and Marion, and let the chips fall where they may. Actually, I think most D1 programs are pretty much taking the same route and IOWA is nothing special in this area.

Edited to George Mason, thanks. IMO, neither Slaton, or Marion would fit the bill, as Slayton made himself an academic casualty, and Marion is still on the team.

Edited to George Mason, thanks. IMO, neither Slaton, or Marion would fit the bill, as Slayton made himself an academic casualty, and Marion is still on the team.

Kasey Gillis was dismissed from the team for a series of minor offenses.

Its only a big deal when Iowa does this though everyone must remember this. No excuses for a kid that is 18-20 years old, they only get one chance. period.

For all we know, Byers actually attacked a female cop, hip tossed her to the ground, was tased by said female cop, then Byers spit in her face....yup, sounds about right.

Assaulting a police officer is pretty stupid, and dangerous to yourself and people around you. Even if the cop was being an ass, it's better to swallow that bitter pill that got you in front of them to begin with. I can totally understand why a school would boot someone with issues like this. And sadly, I can understand why Iowa is willing to take him in, giving their rather public issues with athletes running afoul with the law recently.

Assaulting a police officer is pretty stupid, and dangerous to yourself and people around you. Even if the cop was being an ass, it's better to swallow that bitter pill that got you in front of them to begin with. I can totally understand why a school would boot someone with issues like this. And sadly, I can understand why Iowa is willing to take him in, giving their rather public issues with athletes running afoul with the law recently.
Are you talking about Long or Byers?

I can totally understand why a school would boot someone with issues like this. And sadly, I can understand why Iowa is willing to take him in, giving their rather public issues with athletes running afoul with the law recently.

i guess you could say iowa, psu, and osu since all 3 schools were willing to take him in and have had their fair share of athletes running afoul. why p.o. 1 fan base when you can p.o. 3 scribe? ;)

I can totally understand why a school would boot someone with issues like this. And sadly, I can understand why Iowa is willing to take him in, giving their rather public issues with athletes running afoul with the law recently.

i guess you could say iowa, psu, and osu since all 3 schools were willing to take him in and have had their fair share of athletes running afoul. why p.o. 1 fan base when you can p.o. 3 scribe? ;)

I've never given up an opportunity to call a turd, a turd.

One offense.... no kid deserves a second chance, right?

Once on the Iowa team, any wrestler will have to keep their nose clean, or Brands will suspend or kick them off. It's that simple, and hopefully it helps the kid develop (Marion, for example). I trust Cael would do the same with Long, and Smith will do the same with the "Okla St 5" (or is it down to 4 now?).

The hypocrisy around here is pretty thick. But when you consider it involves Iowa and the usual posters wanting to elevate this into something bigger than it is, it doesn't surprise me.

------------

Scribe will do that for the same reason he made a fuss about Brands risking "crippling a kid for life" by wrestling him while he's injured..... but was strangely silent when Cael wrestled an injured leg wrapped Pataky or a shoulder wrapped Wright. It's because he's a hypocrite.

I've never given up an opportunity to call a turd, a turd.

With all the times one may look in a mirror you have had many opportunities to practice calling out the word.:)

------------

Scribe will do that for the same reason he made a fuss about Brands risking "crippling a kid for life" by wrestling him while he's injured..... but was strangely silent when Cael wrestled an injured leg wrapped Pataky or a shoulder wrapped Wright. It's because he's a hypocrite.

Cael is trying to get those guys going again before the post season. There is a difference. They sat as long as possible to nurse the injury, but you gotta get those legs and lungs going to be competitive in the last couple of weekends in the year.

The other incident you speak of is an effort to win a dual meet for the coaches record.

Cael is trying to get those guys going again before the post season. There is a difference. They sat as long as possible to nurse the injury, but you gotta get those legs and lungs going to be competitive in the last couple of weekends in the year.

The other incident you speak of is an effort to win a dual meet for the coaches record.

wow

wow

This particular Iowa crowd these days is VERY sensy..

I think we're all missing the big picture here, and that's the fact that Brands has again proven that he can't accomplish anything without stealing talent from other programs! (please note sarcasm)

I know for fact that he did not steal the kid; Brands was able to pay for him with one of those Vtech scholarships that he brought with him before he destroyed their wrestling program.

I think we're all missing the big picture here, and that's the fact that Brands has again proven that he can't accomplish anything without stealing talent from other programs! (please note sarcasm)

I know for fact that he did not steal the kid; Brands was able to pay for him with one of those Vtech scholarships that he brought with him before he destroyed their wrestling program.

Yea youre right, because VTech is in shambles right now. Please note that VTech would not even be where they are today without Brands being there. Sorry, but thats the truth. ISU is now in shambles though.

Guest Hammerlock3

I am surprised this isn't more talked about, i think very few people realize how much a beast byers is, not to mention how aggressive his style, people will probably giver brands credit for it when they start to figure it out next december.

^^^I'm a huge fan of Cayle Byers. Byers is the kind of kid you could send out bear hunting with a tire iron. He redshirted 2010, but placed top 12 in the 2009 NCAA tournament, wrestling with a small bone broken in his foot. He and Hudson Taylor were very even in 2009. Also, Byers is fiercely intelligent, and I think was a science major at GMU.

Wishing Cayle the very best, -Stove Pipe

Thing about Byers is, was this a one-off type thing, or was this the last straw type thing? I tend to believe the latter, although the fact that it was a female officer, and he's an upper-weight may have been enough just by itself.

On a related note, I think I remember reading in Sports Illustrated how a certain Oklahoma U. great took on 12 campus police officers back in the 80's. And I don't believe anything happened to him, that I recall. He certainly didn't have to leave OU.

But times change, I guess.