Sign in to follow this  
86_90

Cayle Byers transferring to Iowa per Andy Hamilton

Thing about Byers is, was this a one-off type thing, or was this the last straw type thing? I tend to believe the latter, although the fact that it was a female officer, and he's an upper-weight may have been enough just by itself.

On a related note, I think I remember reading in Sports Illustrated how a certain Oklahoma U. great took on 12 campus police officers back in the 80's. And I don't believe anything happened to him, that I recall. He certainly didn't have to leave OU.

But times change, I guess.

I dont condone spitting on anybody, but I dont think that Byers spit on a female cop. The references to a female cop are people referencing Long hip tossing a female cop and later getting tased by one.

I don't think the gender of the cop spat on has any impact on the severity of the act.
You could be right, of course. But I think in the politically correct world of university administrators it actually does matter. As opposed to spitting in the face of Sheriff Buford Pusser, or Alabama Public Safety Commissioner Bull Connor. They might understand that a little better.

I don't think the gender of the cop spat on has any impact on the severity of the act.
You could be right, of course. But I think in the politically correct world of university administrators it actually does matter. As opposed to spitting in the face of Sheriff Buford Pusser, or Alabama Public Safety Commissioner Bull Connor. They might understand that a little better.

Again, we have no idea if it was a female officer in the Byers situation. It was a female cop in the Long situation. That said, I agree with the thought process that it doesn't really matter that much whether the cop was male or female.

So, if that's Long, what exactly are the facts of the Byers situation?

Again, not so much for the purpose of embarassing Byers, but to reflect on the propriety of the University of Iowa's decision to give this guy a second chance.

Surely, there must have been some mitigating factors, other than that he's a talented wrestler who can help the program?

So, if that's Long, what exactly are the facts of the Byers situation?

Again, not so much for the purpose of embarassing Byers, but to reflect on the propriety of the University of Iowa's decision to give this guy a second chance.

Surely, there must have been some mitigating factors, other than that he's a talented wrestler who can help the program?

I haven't found a descriptions of the situation yet. All that the Police Blotter thing said was that he was got in a fight with someone, and the spit on a police officer when they came to break it up.

On November 6 at 1:30 am, a man assaulted another man. When police arrive, the suspect also spit on an officer

Thing about Byers is, was this a one-off type thing, or was this the last straw type thing? I tend to believe the latter, although the fact that it was a female officer, and he's an upper-weight may have been enough just by itself.

On a related note, I think I remember reading in Sports Illustrated how a certain Oklahoma U. great took on 12 campus police officers back in the 80's. And I don't believe anything happened to him, that I recall. He certainly didn't have to leave OU.

But times change, I guess.

I dont condone spitting on anybody, but I dont think that Byers spit on a female cop. The references to a female cop are people referencing Long hip tossing a female cop and later getting tased by one.

Is that where this 'love child' come from?

I'll take him on the team...and if you're a PSU or OSU fan and say you wouldn't you're full of crap. Your teams sure as heck wanted him.
The word was in PSU circles that HE was coming to PSU. My contention has only been if CAYLE had gone & wrestle for CAEL we would have heard from the HAWKEYE NATION what a horrible person Sanderson is for wanting to win @ all costs...

BTW, according the police report, Byers got in a fight, and when cops came to break it up, he spit on them. Not saying that's a "good thing", but it's certainly different from fighting/hitting cops that others were talking about.

ASSAULT ON POLICE-ARREST, 11/8/2010, 3200 block of N. Pershing Drive On November 6 at 1:30 am, a man assaulted another man. When police arrive, the suspect also spit on an officer. Cayle Byers, 21, of an unknown address, was charged with Assault on Law Enforcement and Drunk in Public. He was held without bond.

http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/p ... =11/8/2010

Of course nothing really says I care about my fellowman then driving drunk....

I don't think this was a "last straw"...George Mason has a Zero Tolerance policy and of course this obviously crossed that line
Which means that either Marion or Long would have been kicked out of there as well.

BTW, according the police report, Byers got in a fight, and when cops came to break it up, he spit on them. Not saying that's a "good thing", but it's certainly different from fighting/hitting cops that others were talking about.

ASSAULT ON POLICE-ARREST, 11/8/2010, 3200 block of N. Pershing Drive On November 6 at 1:30 am, a man assaulted another man. When police arrive, the suspect also spit on an officer. Cayle Byers, 21, of an unknown address, was charged with Assault on Law Enforcement and Drunk in Public. He was held without bond.

Huh?

Guest Hammerlock3
I'll take him on the team...and if you're a PSU or OSU fan and say you wouldn't you're full of crap. Your teams sure as heck wanted him.
The word was in PSU circles that HE was coming to PSU. My contention has only been if CAYLE had gone & wrestle for CAEL we would have heard from the HAWKEYE NATION what a horrible person Sanderson is for wanting to win @ all costs...

obviously this isn't true. no body of fans is this transparently hyprocritical.

^^^I'm a huge fan of Cayle Byers. Byers is the kind of kid you could send out bear hunting with a tire iron. He redshirted 2010, but placed top 12 in the 2009 NCAA tournament, wrestling with a small bone broken in his foot. He and Hudson Taylor were very even in 2009. Also, Byers is fiercely intelligent, and I think was a science major at GMU.

Wishing Cayle the very best, -Stove Pipe

Anthropology major with ~3.00 GPA (from the horse's mouth)

Huh?

Many Hawk fans like to split hairs about how Long ran away & Marion didn't & now that Byers is going to Iowa, some are saying that Byers had no choice as he was kicked out. Both Byers & Long tangled with the cops. My statement was simply referring to Marion's arrest which on a scale of offenses is worse in my book.

In reality my viewpoint is that people all deserve a 2nd chance. I have noted though that according to many Hawk fans Marion & Byers deserve a 2nd chance but Long doesn't because he went to PSU. Seems to be that if it happens in Iowa City it's all ok then. Anywhere else, it's then worth criticizing

Believe what you want. I am not saying that all Hawks fans are saying this but go to Hawkeye nation & read the thread. I will leave it at that.

Many Hawk fans like to split hairs about how Long ran away & Marion didn't & now that Byers is going to Iowa, some are saying that Byers had no choice as he was kicked out. Both Byers & Long tangled with the cops. My statement was simply referring to Marion's arrest which on a scale of offenses is worse in my book.

In reality my viewpoint is that people all deserve a 2nd chance. I have noted though that according to many Hawk fans Marion & Byers deserve a 2nd chance but Long doesn't because he went to PSU. Seems to be that if it happens in Iowa City it's all ok then. Anywhere else, it's then worth criticizing

Please try to keep it on topic. This is a thread about Cayle Byers transferring to Iowa. Andrew Long is an unrelated topic. If you'd like to discuss Andrew Long's transfer, please start a new thread.

Seriously, though. I was correcting a guy who said Byers threw a cop down, since there is no evidence that is what happened. I didn't even mention Long.

And also, I'm not sure how Montell's actions are worse than Byers or Long's. Byers and Long actually assaulted people. Montell COULD have hurt someone, but didn't. Where I come from, real consequences are more important than hypotheticals....

Guest Hammerlock3

Believe what you want. I am not saying that all Hawks fans are saying this but go to Hawkeye nation & read the thread. I will leave it at that.

astonishingly, there was actually a guy on their who proclaimed he would be bashing cael for making the same decision he currently supports...in fact he even had the balls to bash cael and his "sham of a squeeky clean image," in effect bashing cael for doing it even though he didn't.

I stand corrected

What happened here?

He ended up transferring to Oklahoma State instead and placed 3rd at Nationals. I don't remember Byers stating exactly why he didn't end up at Iowa but I do remember several posts about some issues with credits transferring blocking Byers getting into Iowa.

I assume this is a joke. this guy was put in jail and sent packing from the school for fighting cops and spitting in their face.
Kudos to him. I have wanted to spit in Barney's face before.

don't do it when they are pulling you out of your wrecked vehicle, right before it catches fire.... ignorant burro.

Time for Nathan to replace his graduating older brother and fellow 197lber Micah at Penn and get himself an Ivy League education. I suspect that with another year in the Hawkeye room Cayle wouldn't be able to get past Nathan who has a lot of talent, but I'm sure Penn will take him if the Hawks don't want him. Both of Nathan's older brothers Gabriel and Micah wrestled for Penn.