WillieBoy

CoronaVirus - Cancelling or moving Olympic Games

On 2/23/2020 at 8:17 PM, Billyhoyle said:

At this point, I think they are going to have to postpone the olympics. 

It may be difficult not to if Covid-19 reaches global pandemic status - which is becoming likely. 

I thought that the IOC and Japan would never cancel or move the date of the summer games, but read that doing so would trigger an insurance policy that pays out nearly a half billion dollars. In the big picture that’s not much, but it would help soften economic losses. I do think, cynically, that the economics and sunk costs around planning and prep are far bigger factors to the IOC than the spectacle, spirit and tradition of athletic competition or even the safety of competitors and fans. :(

18 minutes ago, LJB said:

56K people die from the flu each and every year...

wake me up when this coronavirus gets close...

Change that. 56k AMERICANS die from the flu each year. Globally, 300,000 - 650,000 PEOPLE die from the flu each and every year. And that's probably a lowball figure.

2 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

Change that. 56k AMERICANS die from the flu each year. Globally, 300,000 - 650,000 PEOPLE die from the flu each and every year. And that's probably a lowball figure.

exactly... 

but the flu isn't sexy and can't instill the fear that that gets watches or clicks...

when will people learn... don't believe the hype...

23 minutes ago, LJB said:

56K people die from the flu each and every year...

wake me up when this coronavirus gets close...

I’ll explain this to you once: the flu is a virus that has long been in the community, and depending on the circulating strain, many already have partial or full resistance, thus slowing its spread and dampening its impact. When a virus has recombined in other species such as ncov, there is very little or nothing to stop it. The worst case scenario of ncov is orders of magnitude worse than the worst case scenario of the seasonal flu. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I’ll explain this to you once: the flu is a virus that has long been in the community, and depending on the circulating strain, many already have partial or full resistance, thus slowing its spread and dampening its impact. When a virus has recombined in other species such as ncov, there is very little or nothing to stop it. The worst case scenario of ncov is orders of magnitude worse than the worst case scenario of the seasonal flu. 

i suggest you go hole up in your bunker... 

much like you did during the aids virus epidemic that was going to spread across the planet and wipe out large chunks of our population...

how about that pesky ebola virus as well...

name countless others...

this world is controlled and governed by fear...

28 minutes ago, LJB said:

i suggest you go hole up in your bunker... 

much like you did during the aids virus epidemic that was going to spread across the planet and wipe out large chunks of our population...

how about that pesky ebola virus as well...

name countless others...

this world is controlled and governed by fear...

HIV has spread across the planet and killed many people. The only reason it hasn’t killed more is the development of anti retroviral therapies.  Effective treatments for ncov are coming but probably not for a year or two.  Until then events like the olympics will probably need to be postponed-it all depends on how effective containment is.  I’m obviously not saying you need to be holed but, but effective containment efforts are critical. You have a strong belief in your knowledge in this area but consider that some people on this forum might actually have some expertise that you don’t. 

4 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

HIV has spread across the planet and killed many people. The only reason it hasn’t killed more is the development of anti retroviral therapies.  Effective treatments for ncov are coming but probably not for a year or two.  Until then events like the olympics will probably need to be postponed-it all depends on how effective containment is.  I’m obviously not saying you need to be holed but, but effective containment efforts are critical. You have a strong belief in your knowledge in this area but consider that some people on this forum might actually have some expertise that you don’t. 

i claim no other expertise other than common sense and experience with fear mongering...

the main reason HIV didn't kill as many as originally estimated is that it was not as bad as those in control wanted the general public to believe... they couldn't spread fear and hate if it were...

there is no doubt that another plague will hit this planet and wipe out 1/3 of the population at some point... if it is this years fad virus then so be it...

I would be delighted if I am wrong

Here is the difference I see CDC issued a pandemic advice for the Corona Virus in the US, they did not do so on Eboli (at least not that I recall)

Let's hope I am wrong

So I was watching the news a couple of hours ago and they were saying that the IOC said that if they don’t have a handle on the Coronavirus by late May, the IOC will consider canceling the Summer Games. So, I guess we will just have to wait and see. 

1 hour ago, LJB said:

the main reason HIV didn't kill as many as originally estimated is that it was not as bad as those in control wanted the general public to believe... they couldn't spread fear and hate if it were...

This is one of the least informed comments I’ve ever read on this forum. And that is saying something. 

3 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I will wager $20 USD that the 2020 Tokyo Olympics happens on schedule and in Tokyo. First taker gets the bet, loser donates to charity of winner's choice!

OK.

I will reluctantly take your bet.  I usually hate to place bets when I don't want to win, but at this point, I think it is too good of a bet to pass up for my charity.

You are on!  I hope you win!

1 hour ago, de4856 said:

So I was watching the news a couple of hours ago and they were saying that the IOC said that if they don’t have a handle on the Coronavirus by late May, the IOC will consider canceling the Summer Games. So, I guess we will just have to wait and see. 

That’s not really what they said. (I’m going off a few articles I read today). They said they are about three months from any decision like that. Too many moving parts and coordinations to make any decisions before that no matter where it goes. He said maybe they could make a decision about in two months if needed but three is the right timeframe. 

58 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

This is one of the least informed comments I’ve ever read on this forum. And that is saying something. 

it is an incredibly weak virus that is incredibly easy to prevent... nothing like the hysteria that was presented in the early-mid 80's that was very effective in spreading fear, hate, and ignorance... those traits make a populace easier to manipulate...

yes, it still is blamed for killing about 0.01% of the worldwide population per year... 

lions, tigers, and bears...

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That’s not really what they said. (I’m going off a few articles I read today). They said they are about three months from any decision like that. Too many moving parts and coordinations to make any decisions before that no matter where it goes. He said maybe they could make a decision about in two months if needed but three is the right timeframe. 

IOC member Dick Pound says Tokyo Olympic organizers have until late May to see if the virus is under control. If not, “you’re probably looking at a cancellation.” https://t.co/e90SS6Px8B

https://thepointsguy.com/news/officials-say-tokyo-2020-cancellation-is-possible-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak/?utm_campaign=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=Editorial&utm_content=B921AD5A-581A-11EA-9F71-EDBF96E8478F&fbclid=IwAR1Mc9_O4PPSe9TNnc-qP1Mn0O5c0LeQy1SRjmJuyvqvHN6u8feVf8WAHjQ

7 minutes ago, irani said:

Correct, they are about three months from making that decision, and cancellation would be more likely than postponing or moving to new location. 

Let’s not leave out the other part though where he also said that “all indications are it will be business as usual”

They are planning ahead. That’s what professionals do. Let’s not turn that into they are saying it’s likely. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Correct, they are about three months from making that decision, and cancellation would be more likely than postponing or moving to new location. 

Let’s not leave out the other part though where he also said that “all indications are it will be business as usual”

They are planning ahead. That’s what professionals do. Let’s not turn that into they are saying it’s likely. 

Fair point, so let me put this quote in here

“As far as we all know, you’re going to be in Tokyo,” Pound said. “All indications are at this stage that it will be business as usual. So keep focused on your sport and be sure that the IOC is not going to send you into a pandemic situation.”

My intent for the previous point was to demonstrated that they are conceding that there is a possibility that they will cancel the Olympics if the virus is out of control, and of course they have no idea where the virus spread will be by then

Fair point, so let me put this quote in here  “As far as we all know, you’re going to be in Tokyo,” Pound said. “All indications are at this stage that it will be business as usual. So keep focused on your sport and be sure that the IOC is not going to send you into a pandemic situation.”

My intent for the previous point was to demonstrated that they are conceding that there is a possibility that they will cancel the Olympics if the virus is out of control, and of course they have no idea where the virus spread will be by then

Hopefully the Olympics will be cancelled permanently.  

Then wrestling can have a true world championship (open 3 wrestlers per country) every year at 10 weight classes.

Every fourth year, we can call it the Wrestling Olympiad. We can even reduce the weight classes to 6 for all the Olympic purests.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk