WillieBoy

CoronaVirus - Cancelling or moving Olympic Games

My husband has a buddy who is a sector analyst that does predictive modeling for finance and public policy clients, and he emailed the other day saying that Covid-19 is gonna get pretty bad. Nothing about the Olympics or anything like that, more like a “hey this is going to be serious, take precautions” note to his friends and family.

Anyway, I remember Zika was a concern during the Rio Olympics but don’t recall how widespread it was or if it was an epidemic or pandemic or what. 

On 2/26/2020 at 8:30 AM, Jaroslav Hasek said:

It is a deal! the betting window is now closed. 

Iran has closed down the wrestling camps for the national team.

All soccer matches are being played without any fans in the stadiums.

I hope the extreme measure above will stop the spread of the virus, and everything will be OK in time for the olympics.

As an added bonus, Iran now has an excuse for doing badly in the olympics :)

On 2/25/2020 at 5:08 PM, LJB said:

i claim no other expertise other than common sense and experience with fear mongering...

the main reason HIV didn't kill as many as originally estimated is that it was not as bad as those in control wanted the general public to believe... they couldn't spread fear and hate if it were...

there is no doubt that another plague will hit this planet and wipe out 1/3 of the population at some point... if it is this years fad virus then so be it...

Wait... I think you missed the AIDS epidemic

On 2/25/2020 at 8:23 PM, LJB said:

it is an incredibly weak virus that is incredibly easy to prevent... nothing like the hysteria that was presented in the early-mid 80's that was very effective in spreading fear, hate, and ignorance... those traits make a populace easier to manipulate...

yes, it still is blamed for killing about 0.01% of the worldwide population per year... 

lions, tigers, and bears...

Tell that to the 15m dead in sub-Saharan Africa.

HIV may be relatively easy to prevent (at least in first world nations), but it's anything but a weak virus.  40 years later and we still don't have a cure.  Effective therapies now exist, but they're expensive, and unavailable in third world nations.

Were HIV as communicable as coronavirus appears to be, its mutability would've absolutely wreaked global havoc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/coronavirus-update-2020-tokyo-olympics-could-be-postponed-due-to-outbreak/ar-BB10GtTX

Japan's Olympic minister Seiko Hashimoto has now indicated that there is a chance the Tokyo Olympics may be rescheduled as a result of the coronavirus outbreak. As detailed by the BBC, he spoke to Japan's parliament and said that the International Olympic Committee merely "calls for the Games to be held in 2020, [which] could be interpreted as allowing a postponement."

However, Hasimoto also added, "We are doing all we can to ensure that the Games go ahead as planned."

Thomas Bach, president of the International Olympic Committee, which maintains the right the cancel the Games, said that the organization is still "fully committed" to hosting the 2020 Tokyo Olympics as planned.

1 minute ago, Mphillips said:

Columbus Ohio just put a ban on 'most' spectators at The Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic coming up in a few days.  It draws around 200, 000 over the course of the event...

I'm surprised the event is still on even...

4 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

I'm surprised the event is still on even...

It's a huge money maker for the city.  The Governor and the Mayor had a live press conference with Arnold on all the channels here.  It surprised me honestly...

On 2/19/2020 at 6:23 AM, bnwtwg said:

They effectively cancelled the Tokyo Marathon, one of the 6 world majors with approximately 30,000 participants in an Olympic year at the same hosting city, two days ago. So I assume Japan is taking very precautionary steps to avoid interruption. For those not into distance running, the cancellation is a Very. Big. Deal. that would be on par with cancelling the Big Ten tournament at least

Actually the Tokyo Marathon went ahead, but ONLY the top 100-200 Men and Women runners ran (Those invited to race/The Elite Runners from all over the World Kenya, Ethiopia) 

The LA Times has a rundown of sports that are being affected by the Coronavirus and containment measures around the outbreak. The WSJ had a similar article earlier this week of pro sports events that are being postponed or conducted behind closed doors with no fans... Italian soccer, hockey in Switzerland, Japan’s spring sumo tournament, the Paris half-marathon, pro Golf & Tennis in Asia, even auto racing.

Festival season and spring break are also just around the corner. I’m not sure how much of an effect Coronavirus will have on kids who want to go to Coachella or Cancun since they’re young and invincible, but it could bolster its spread before the Olympics.

On 2/25/2020 at 4:35 PM, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I will wager $20 USD that the 2020 Tokyo Olympics happens on schedule and in Tokyo. First taker gets the bet, loser donates to charity of winner's choice!

So who wins if no spectators allowed?