Marcus Cisero

Tom Brands Says Post-Match Antics from Austin DeSanto Need to Stop!

For those wondering just how much DeSantos’s behavior is affecting not only the Iowa team as a whole, but the coach’s – listen to what Tom Brands had to say this during this recent interview.  He pulls no punches.

High props for Tom and Terry for taking a stand and for doing it so publicly.  

Just listen to this....

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2020/02/18/leistikow-tom-brands-wants-austin-desantos-post-match-antics-stop/4793062002/

I love the way DeSanto wrestles but I can do without the nonsense during/after the match.  I love that Brands said this but coming from Tom or Terry it's hard me to take it seriously when they are guilty of blowing their gasket and acting like fools themselves.  We have video of either Tom or Terry (I can't remember which) yelling at a ref that he sucks over and over.  Their coaches have been guilty of acting up and having team points deducted for their conduct.  I like the Brands but like DeSanto I can do without their nonsense as well.  If they want to make sure their kids are keeping their cool on the mat maybe they should set an example for them.

Edited by StallWarning

24 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Interesting that Desanto said he "just tweaked" his knee and is "100%"

Things that make you go "Hmmmm..." 

I think ADS's meltdown in the RBY match may have played as large a part in this "warning" as his post match antics. 

The way he acted I initially believed he tore an ACL or something. As the match went on I smelled something more fishy about the whole thing. 

10 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I think ADS's meltdown in the RBY match may have played as large a part in this "warning" as his post match antics. 

The way he acted I initially believed he tore an ACL or something. As the match went on I smelled something more fishy about the whole thing. 

I don’t understand how you can be so sure of yourself. There’s more to it. That’s all I’ll say. 

I don't fault ADS for his reaction. Some guys, especial ones with little to no injury history, can have extreme reactions to that quick unusual pain. I have met and coached athletes that need everything to be right to perform and others that can elevate their health when it is game time. You can really appreciate the games that can play hurt, but you can't fault guys who can't. Not everyone is built the same.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

ADS definitely overreacted to his injury.  He appears to be 100% recovered from what looked like a knee tear.

That said, I think he wins it all this year at 133.  He also wins B10s.

I will bet against him winning both tournaments, but you won't pay up, so why bother.

42 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Wrestling does not need ADS...ADS 1000 % needs wrestling though 

You’re right. My bad. Who would want to watch entertainment in a sport that has struggled to remain in the olympics and even in programs. I for one would rather watch two guys not scoring for 3 periods. Sure wouldn’t want to change the channel for that excitement. Especially if wrestling wasn’t my thing and football or ufc was on. 

13 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

You’re right. My bad. Who would want to watch entertainment in a sport that has struggled to remain in the olympics and even in programs. I for one would rather watch two guys not scoring for 3 periods. Sure wouldn’t want to change the channel for that excitement. Especially if wrestling wasn’t my thing and football or ufc was on. 

Wrestling has been around for longer then every sport on the planet, if we were to get kicked out of the Olympics tomorrow wrestling would live on and be fine. Let’s be real here ADS is exciting to watch but he’s a guy that’s made the blood round and placed 5th, there have been and are 100s of guys just as exciting style wise and when they win they don’t throat slash, spit on the mat, or do the whole I’m a tough guy act, no screaming at there coaches on national TV. Please spare us the wrestling needs ADS crap, honestly what has ADS done in the last 2 years that puts wrestling in a positive light? Almost All the attention he draws to the sport is negative.

8 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Wrestling has been around for longer then every sport on the planet, if we were to get kicked out of the Olympics tomorrow wrestling would live on and be fine. Let’s be real here ADS is exciting to watch but he’s a guy that’s made the blood round and placed 5th, there have been and are 100s of guys just as exciting style wise and when they win they don’t throat slash, spit on the mat, or do the whole I’m a tough guy act, no screaming at there coaches on national TV. Please spare us the wrestling needs ADS crap, honestly what has ADS done in the last 2 years that puts wrestling in a positive light? Almost All the attention he draws to the sport is negative.

You’re part of the negativity problem. 

36 minutes ago, Katie said:

So he’s 100% already? That was fast. 

This is the same EXACT MO we heard/watched during McDonough's Senior season.  I am not hurt, nothing to see here.  I just didn't wrestle well enough. etc., etc.

I mean, he is just wearing the knee brace for emotional support.  Why else would you wear one?????

Edited by MSU158

1 hour ago, Daybreak said:

Wow you're really teaching that non-existent person you are arguing against a lesson!

Edited by hammerlockthree

1 hour ago, Daybreak said:

Do you think if ADS quit wrestling today wrestling would no longer be a thing?  Of course wrestling doesn't NEED Austin DeSanto.  Wrestling doesn't NEED any single wrestler out there today.  Some people like his antics/outbursts/whatever.  It doesn't sound like Tom Brands is too thrilled with them and plenty of other people don't like them.  I don't care for them.  Let's not fool ourselves into believing that wresting needs any single one wrestler.