Jump to content
Marcus Cisero

Tom Brands Says Post-Match Antics from Austin DeSanto Need to Stop!

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

This is the same EXACT MO we heard/watched during McDonough's Senior season.  I am not hurt, nothing to see here.  I just didn't wrestle well enough. etc., etc.

I mean, he is just wearing the knee brace for emotional support.  Why else would you wear one?????

 

When do we take somebody at their word?  When he said he was hurt during the match we were supposed to take him at his word.  Now he say's he is 100% so we are not supposed to take him at his word?  Is it only when it's convenient for Iowa fans that we take him/don't take him at his word?  How do we know when we take somebody at their word?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StallWarning said:

When do we take somebody at their word?  When he said he was hurt during the match we were supposed to take him at his word.  Now he say's he is 100% so we are not supposed to take him at his word?  Is it only when it's convenient for Iowa fans that we take him/don't take him at his word?  How do we know when we take somebody at their word?

Simple.  Look at what happened DURING the match and then look at the history of how Iowa under Brands talks about injuries.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StallWarning said:

Do you think if ADS quit wrestling today wrestling would no longer be a thing?  Of course wrestling doesn't NEED Austin DeSanto.  Wrestling doesn't NEED any single wrestler out there today.  Some people like his antics/outbursts/whatever.  It doesn't sound like Tom Brands is too thrilled with them and plenty of other people don't like them.  I don't care for them.  Let's not fool ourselves into believing that wresting needs any single one wrestler.

The majority of the posters here seem to be fools. I’m saying wrestling needs people like ADS that makes the sport entertaining. Wrestling needs people like Nolf, Bo, ADS, RBY, spencer Lee, the pletcher of this year that draws in crowds and make the sport fun to watch. Wrestling was falling off a cliff a few years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StallWarning said:

I got it.  So it's the "whenever it's convenient for Iowa fans."

Do you think I find it convenient?  If you read all the things I have posted about this topic going back to McDonough and even earlier, you would know I HATE it.  I have said many times that I don't understand the lack of transparency dealing with injuries.  

I mean, McDonough was so obviously injured and confirmed it by having surgery immediately after the season ended.  Still, they never broke from the "Nothing is wrong" mantra.  I am NOT a fan of that philosophy.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

The majority of the posters here seem to be fools. I’m saying wrestling needs people like ADS that makes the sport entertaining. Wrestling needs people like Nolf, Bo, ADS, RBY, spencer Lee, the pletcher of this year that draws in crowds and make the sport fun to watch. Wrestling was falling off a cliff a few years ago. 

Why can't wrestling be fun to watch without the antics of a guy like ADS?  Isn't that what this thread is about?  You mentioned a bunch of guys who are exciting and only one of them has behavior problems on the mat.  Austin DeSanto is plenty entertaining with just his wrestling.  He is one of the most fun guys to watch in the country.  Wrestling doesn't need Austin DeSanto because he acts out on the mat, they need guys who wrestle like him.

Edited by StallWarning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MSU158 said:

Do you think I find it convenient?  If you read all the things I have posted about this topic going back to McDonough and even earlier, you would know I HATE it.  I have said many times that I don't understand the lack of transparency dealing with injuries.  

I mean, McDonough was so obviously injured and confirmed it by having surgery immediately after the season ended.  Still, they never broke from the "Nothing is wrong" mantra.  I am NOT a fan of that philosophy.....

Well we can agree on the fact that I am not a fan of that philosophy either but it stems from a selfish fan perspective of wanting to know information that I really have no right knowing.  I do understand why coaches play these things close to the vest though.  I would, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JeanGuy said:

I don't fault ADS for his reaction. Some guys, especial ones with little to no injury history, can have extreme reactions to that quick unusual pain. I have met and coached athletes that need everything to be right to perform and others that can elevate their health when it is game time. You can really appreciate the games that can play hurt, but you can't fault guys who can't. Not everyone is built the same.

C’mon man.  The 2nd time that RBY locked up the cradle, his “pain” reaction was based on “holy sh1t, I’m gettin decked”.   These are tough, scrappy kids who battle through all kinds of nagging injuries. ADS is a mental case.  It will be interesting to see if he can keep it together over the next month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StallWarning said:

I got it.  So it's the "whenever it's convenient for Iowa fans."

How is it convenient? You seem to be arguing that Iowa makes convenient excuses. Yet then you said we need to take them at their word. Desanto said he tweeked his knee and is fine now. What is the convenient excuse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StallWarning said:

Well we can agree on the fact that I am not a fan of that philosophy either but it stems from a selfish fan perspective of wanting to know information that I really have no right knowing.  I do understand why coaches play these things close to the vest though.  I would, too. 

But, they don't do it in Football.  I get that that mainly has to do with sports betting, but transparency regarding injuries DOES NOT hurt the performance.  Maybe there are a few instances where hiding injury information when it isn't obvious can help, but if a guy hurts his knee and it is as big of a situation as DeSanto's was, I see no reason to not be clear about it.  Either way you are wearing a damn knee brace and saying you are 100% vs. saying the knee is injured isn't going to change how your opponent wrestles you WITH THE KNEE BRACE ON!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

But, they don't do it in Football.  I get that that mainly has to do with sports betting, but transparency regarding injuries DOES NOT hurt the performance.  Maybe there are a few instances where hiding injury information when it isn't obvious can help, but if a guy hurts his knee and it is as big of a situation as DeSanto's was, I see no reason to not be clear about it.  Either way you are wearing a damn knee brace and saying you are 100% vs. saying the knee is injured isn't going to change how your opponent wrestles you WITH THE KNEE BRACE ON!

Fair enough.  If somebody sees him wearing a knee brace I imagine they assume there is a problem whether there is or it's just for precaution.  I don't think it matters one way or the other as far as wrestling goes. I don't think guys target injured things like knees. I think they go out and wrestle their match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, russelscout said:

How is it convenient? You seem to be arguing that Iowa makes convenient excuses. Yet then you said we need to take them at their word. Desanto said he tweeked his knee and is fine now. What is the convenient excuse?

I don't think Iowa coaches or wrestlers make excuses. I think Iowa fans (and fans of every team) make excuses for their team and guys.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StallWarning said:

I don't think Iowa coaches or wrestlers make excuses. I think Iowa fans (and fans of every team) make excuses for their team and guys.  

Ok, but what is the excuse being made that is inconsistent with what they are telling us and what we can observe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, russelscout said:

Ok, but what is the excuse being made that is inconsistent with what they are telling us and what we can observe? 

He says he was hurt during the match against RBY.  If he says he's hurt then he's hurt.  We take him at his word.  RBY didn't really beat him because he was hurt.

He says he is 100% but then people say you can't believe him when he says this.  I thought we were to taking ADS at his word?  This seems like a setup for an excuse should he lose at B1Gs, especially if it's to RBY, or at the NCAA tournament because he wasn't 100% and would have won if he was healthy.  RBY didn't really beat him at B1Gs because he was hurt.  

That's how people make excuses for their team and guys.  We take a guy at his word/ignore it when it's convenient for our excuses we make for our favorite guys.  It happens all the time with every fanbase.  MSU made some good points and I'll concede he is not doing this.  If we can't decide whenever we believe a kid or a coach then we should simply ignore it all if you ask me.  If a guy laces up his shoes and steps on the mat we just accept the result as fans the same way the guys actually doing the wrestling accept the results.  A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of us who love the sport and want it promoted way beyond current levels, we must agree that we do not need this kind of negative attention. We must also agree at all levels (including FLO, BTN announcers and alike when they see it) to call out this kind of behavior and that it needs to be dismissed immediately. If the behavior cannot be controlled and is repeated to the point where a coach has to come out and publicly say what Tom just said, then the wrestler must be removed and vanquished from the sport completely.

In the business world an employee that's this insubordinate is typically terminated and quickly removed from the company. There are no second chances. Everyone is replaceable. So is Austin DeSanto.

Case closed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marcus Cisero said:

In the business world an employee that's this insubordinate is typically terminated and quickly removed from the company. There are no second chances. Everyone is replaceable. So is Austin DeSanto.

Except that in March, he is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My apologies. I’m not defending the antics. I’d much rather him leave the antics out and laugh it off after the match, if he’s able to. I personally wouldn’t want to see the sport without someone like Austin or even Gable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StallWarning said:

He says he is 100% but then people say you can't believe him when he says this.  I thought we were to taking ADS at his word?  This seems like a setup for an excuse should he lose at B1Gs, especially if it's to RBY, or at the NCAA tournament because he wasn't 100% and would have won if he was healthy.  RBY didn't really beat him at B1Gs because he was hurt.  

Wearing a brace is precautionary. Thats not really that out of the ordinary. Does he feel 100%? Yes, but that does not change the fact the an injured knee is more prone to be injured than one that never was. Do you really disagree with that? I don't see anyone making claims about his next match with RBY. Only you. 
 

7 minutes ago, StallWarning said:

That's how people make excuses for their team and guys.  We take a guy at his word/ignore it when it's convenient for our excuses we make for our favorite guys.  It happens all the time with every fanbase.  MSU made some good points and I'll concede he is not doing this.  If we can't decide whenever we believe a kid or a coach then we should simply ignore it all if you ask me.  If a guy laces up his shoes and steps on the mat we just accept the result as fans the same way the guys actually doing the wrestling accept the results.  A win is a win and a loss is a los

It seems like you are the one taking his word/ignoring what's being said to paint Hawkeye fans or fans in general in a bad light. No one is even making the claims or talking about it in a way that you are accusing them of, which is why I don't understand your ranting about it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Wrestling has been around for longer then every sport on the planet, if we were to get kicked out of the Olympics tomorrow wrestling would live on and be fine. Let’s be real here ADS is exciting to watch but he’s a guy that’s made the blood round and placed 5th, there have been and are 100s of guys just as exciting style wise and when they win they don’t throat slash, spit on the mat, or do the whole I’m a tough guy act, no screaming at there coaches on national TV. Please spare us the wrestling needs ADS crap, honestly what has ADS done in the last 2 years that puts wrestling in a positive light? Almost All the attention he draws to the sport is negative.

I don't like how upper level sports influence what kids do at the high school level......we had a kid get in a lot of trouble for the throat slash........it just isn't necessary for good wrestling!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

Except that in March, he is not.

No sorry 82bordeaux (cool name), I strongly disagree with you. Points / Sales does not trump over doing what’s right for the team / company. If I’m reading you correctly, AD should remain so his points contribute to an IA team win in March? If I’m interpreting you wrong, I apologize – but for the record, I feel a bad seed is a bad seed and sooner or later it will start to infect the others. Yes this is the Hawkeyes year but it’s still possible (albeit minimally) they do not accomplish their goal – with or without him. If DeSanto’s head isn’t on straight in March, he may not even get out of the gate.

Bottom line, one more chance to allow his talents and energy level to overcome his emotions, if not, he’s gone for good. That’s my take – end of story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

For those of us who love the sport and want it promoted way beyond current levels, we must agree that we do not need this kind of negative attention. We must also agree at all levels (including FLO, BTN announcers and alike when they see it) to call out this kind of behavior and that it needs to be dismissed immediately. If the behavior cannot be controlled and is repeated to the point where a coach has to come out and publicly say what Tom just said, then the wrestler must be removed and vanquished from the sport completely.

What has Desanto done in the last year that warrants vanquishing. Really?
 

12 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

In the business world an employee that's this insubordinate is typically terminated and quickly removed from the company. There are no second chances. Everyone is replaceable. So is Austin DeSanto.

This is not true. You may be terminated quickly IF the issues outweigh the value you provide to the company. There are second chances and not everyone is replaceable. A top salesmen who brings in the majority of the business may be more valuable to a company than his superiors. Look at professional basketball. There have been times when a coach was removed for his inability to appease the insubordinate stars on the team. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...