Marcus Cisero

Tom Brands Says Post-Match Antics from Austin DeSanto Need to Stop!

20 minutes ago, GockeS said:

cancel culture is when someone is cut out, boycotted b/c of their beliefs

so in this case.. b/c of being less than perfect.

i think we would be surprised at how many less than perfect wrestlers there are

but im not really surprised.

Interesting perspective. 

Assuming nothing illegal is going on, my view is that people should spend their money however they want, no matter how arbitrary their reasons. 

Edited by Katie

11 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I was referring to @Martini's story about Brands swearing at someone trying to get Fullhart's drug test. 

I don’t have a dog in the fight, I’m just curious what context(s) would make that behavior okay?  Assuming it went as his son said. 

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I don’t have a dog in the fight, I’m just curious what context(s) would make that behavior okay?  Assuming it went as his son said. 

Its hard for me to say. I wasn't there. Unless you assume that Tom Brands swears at every person that takes a drug test, then there was likely some kind of a reason. Whether it is a good reason, I have no idea.

I mean I’m sure everyone who’s coached has said something to an athlete that they regret at least a little bit. I’m not saying Brands did or didn’t drop the F bomb on a wrestler because I wasn’t there and I don’t know. But I’m not sure how anyone can say Brands treats his athletes poorly after that Eli Stickley documentary came out. He dropped everything and treated Marinelli and his wife (Eli Stickleys sister) like his own children. 

2 hours ago, GockeS said:

no one is perfect.

i bet even nolf has a skeleton in his closet. probably even cael. 

if we start the cancel culture, pretty soon we are left with no one.

not every person in society, in the USA is a clean cut all american. dont you suppose that the proportions of types of people in the usa also exists in our sport?

Agreed - no one is perfect and everyone deserves a second chance. A physical sport like wrestling deserves more than second chances because, well it’s physical. Throw in some emotions, hyped up adrenaline. bad-ass attitude, etc and it’s why some of us love the sport.

I watched the video several times and conclude each time, what in the world motivated Tom to go off like that in front of those reporters? What’s AD doing / saying off the mat? In the room? What are we not seeing behind the scenes? How bad is his attitude / behavior beyond what we see?

Again, I say give him another chance – one could imagine what he’s gone through since that incident with RBY. He probably took a beating on social media here and everywhere else. I bet even the fans at home let him hear it. Perhaps even his own team mates who are depending on him to carry his weight for the team in March have given him an earful.

I hope the kid can turn it around before it's too late.. The clock is ticking

Edited by Marcus Cisero

36 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I was referring to @Martini's story about Brands swearing at someone trying to get Fullhart's drug test. 

yeah, i had never heard that story before... seems like a big todoo... that many people must know about

but im not one of those people

34 minutes ago, Katie said:

Interesting perspective. 

Assuming nothing illegal is going on, my view is that people should spend their money however they want, no matter how arbitrary their reasons. 

all one needs to do is look at the boycott culture today

this group/person said this... its wrongthink, they should be canceled

brands always goes off tho...so not really a surprise (it might also be a show for the public, who knows)

i remember when terry was working toward olympics while coaching at nebraska he nearly murdered someone for touching his waterbottle.

that said. i probably would have done the same. no need to get sick before the biggest tourney in the world. it literally was the olympics

47 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Its hard for me to say. I wasn't there. Unless you assume that Tom Brands swears at every person that takes a drug test, then there was likely some kind of a reason. Whether it is a good reason, I have no idea.

I’ve been in those drug scene scenarios. Can’t speak to this particular instance, but can definitely say that those folks do get treated poorly on occasion, for no good reason other than doing their job. Emotions are running pretty high at that point. Like I said don’t know anything about this story. 

Edited by Lurker

6 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

In the business world an employee that's this insubordinate is typically terminated and quickly removed from the company. There are no second chances.

Everyone is replaceable.

Sadly, instant accountability has not been true in my experience.  10x performers have a near infinite leash.

I agree that graveyards are full of people the world couldn't live without.

Desanto is winning.  He is well known in the wrestling world and everyone has an opinion about him.  He must know about the sixth rule of power - "Court attention at all costs."  Specifically it is better to be attacked than ignored.  His style is a little larger than life.  He is a showman.  Think of well paid mma stars with similar behaviors.

Edited by jross

1 hour ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Agreed - no one is perfect and everyone deserves a second chance. A physical sport like wrestling deserves more than second chances because, well it’s physical. Throw in some emotions, hyped up adrenaline. bad-ass attitude, etc and it’s why some of us love the sport.

I watched the video several times and conclude each time, what in the world motivated Tom to go off like that in front of those reporters? What’s AD doing / saying off the mat? In the room? What are we not seeing behind the scenes? How bad is his attitude / behavior beyond what we see?

Again, I say give him another chance – one could imagine what he’s gone through since that incident with RBY. He probably took a beating on social media here and everywhere else. I bet even the fans at home let him hear it. Perhaps even his own team mates who are depending on him to carry his weight for the team in March have given him an earful.

I hope the kid can turn it around before it's too late.. The clock is ticking

Quite the turnaround from:

if the behavior cannot be controlled and is repeated to the point where a coach has to come out and publicly say what Tom just said, then the wrestler must be removed and vanquished from the sport completely.

I thought you took pride in standing for something?

Obviously wrestling doesn’t “need” him and I’m not a fan of some of the antics, but DeSanto is arguably the most interesting active wrestler.  The number of different storylines are crazy (in no particular order):

-the vision quest in HS to beat Lee to now being teammates

-his interesting personality off the mat to say the least, including not having a drivers license

-the Micic incident leading to transferring from Drexel (maybe even being kicked off the team according to some reports) to Iowa of all places.   And although he’s had some “incidents” since transferring, nothing even close to the Micic incident

-his absolute meltdown in the R12 as a freshman against Delvecchio

-beating 2 national champs in Carver (Suriano and Gross)

-the rivalry with RBY starting with RBY running into the table last year, to the 2 now infamous cradles

-and of course his relentless pace and wrestling style, I believe he has stalled out multiple guys including one in the first period at NCAA’s last year

5 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Man, some of you seems like real "life of the party" types.  Outside of Desanto's two very public issues where guys could have been (but thankfully weren't) hurt 2+ years ago, everything else is all good theater, which is all sports are:  theater.  We've got all different kinds of it, but only the Iowa guys (and Gable Steveson) seem to catch any flak for it.  We've got Minnesota fans , with Gable on the team right now AND a history of Mike Thorn existing, getting upset about Desanto.

This forum is for exchanging ideas, its not supposed to be a party atmosphere. Sports is not theatre.  

8 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

This forum is for exchanging ideas, its not supposed to be a party atmosphere. Sports is not theatre.  

A forum can be whatever you want it to be, ideas are often exchanged at parties.  Sports is 1000% theater.  It's only purpose for spectators is to entertain.  It's just the gladiator "games" put into more modern, more palatable contexts.

5 hours ago, GockeS said:

wait, so its ok for that guy to swing 

but not ok for desanto to walk into a guy that actually hit him?

kissing yes, it's discouraged beahvior.

i'm sorry, the minnesota kid was reacting just like the kid from purdue. desanto didn't kiss the gopher, he did what he always does when he's riding when the match ends: he stands up by pushing off the other wrestler's head. he does this every single time. this time, the other guy took exception. desanto walking back into him was posturing bull****. desanto is a great wrestler but he's definitely also an obnoxious little jerk. 

9 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

A forum can be whatever you want it to be, ideas are often exchanged at parties.  Sports is 1000% theater.  It's only purpose for spectators is to entertain.  It's just the gladiator "games" put into more modern, more palatable contexts.

If the forums is whatever you want....your argument is nonsensical.

Have you ever played a sport?

22 minutes ago, ugarte said:

i'm sorry, the minnesota kid was reacting just like the kid from purdue. desanto didn't kiss the gopher, he did what he always does when he's riding when the match ends: he stands up by pushing off the other wrestler's head. he does this every single time. this time, the other guy took exception. desanto walking back into him was posturing bull****. desanto is a great wrestler but he's definitely also an obnoxious little jerk. 

Nearly every wrestler does that. You’re nit picking.