Marcus Cisero

Tom Brands Says Post-Match Antics from Austin DeSanto Need to Stop!

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Dryden pushed him away in the face.

Dryden pushing his face away was retaliation. If Desanto was excessively holding your head down or your sons dead down would you push him away? Since arriving at Iowa its arguable that Desantos behavior has improved, but everyone including Brands is saying these extracurriculars are unnecessary. Why cant you?

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

Dryden pushing his face away was retaliation. If Desanto was excessively holding your head down or your sons dead down would you push him away? Since arriving at Iowa its arguable that Desantos behavior has improved, but everyone including Brands is saying these extracurriculars are unnecessary. Why cant you?

Holding the head away is common on every release. 

58 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Do you think that is time well spent?

Trying to help young people mature into good citizens is obviously a good idea. The specifics of Desanto's situation I am not privy to other than what Desanto does during his time on the mat and how others, including Brands here, react to him. 

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

Holding the head away is common on every release. 

Ok no you wouldnt expect your son to push Desanto away. Good for you.

Still didnt address the 2nd part of my post.

Everyone including Brands is saying these extracurriculars are unnecessary. Why cant you?

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Ok no you wouldnt expect your son to push Desanto away. Good for you.

Still didnt address the 2nd part of my post.

Everyone including Brands is saying these extracurriculars are unnecessary. Why cant you?

Where did I say there hasn't been extracurriculars? I'm saying in this instance where Dryden pushes his face and Desanto's response was to walk back into him for maybe 1 second sure doesn't seem like a reason to freak out.

Just now, russelscout said:

Where did I say there hasn't been extracurriculars? I'm saying in this instance where Dryden pushes his face and Desanto's response was to walk back into him for maybe 1 second sure doesn't seem like a reason to freak out.

I never said you said there werent extracurriculars. 

Im asking you why you cant seem to say theyre unnecessary.

5 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I never said you said there werent extracurriculars. 

Im asking you why you cant seem to say theyre unnecessary.

There have been unnecessary extracurriculars, but I think many have been making mountains out of mole hills. 

Go to 8:06. Desanto is keeping Dryden away. There is nothing overly aggressive about it. Dryden swats his hand away, and Desanto doesn't do anything. Dryden shoves his face when Desanto isn't looking. Then he walks into him, then moves back to take off his ankle band. This is the unnecessary behavior you are talking about? To me Dryden is the one overreacting.

Edited by russelscout

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

There have been unnecessary extracurriculars, but I think many have been making mountains out of mole hills. 

Go to 8:06. Desanto is keeping Dryden away. There is nothing overly aggressive about it. Dryden swats his hand away, and Desanto doesn't do anything. Dryden shoves his face when Desanto isn't looking. Then he walks into him. This is the unnecessary behavior you are talking about? To me Dryden is the one overreacting.

Not really the point dude. Unless you think Brands comments were unwarranted as well.

Good to know you disagree with Brands.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Just now, russelscout said:

Brand is very blunt. He says the extracurriculars need to stop. Fine, but I assume you agree in this case that Desanto wasn't out of line?

We all know Brands said thay extracurriculars need to stop. Thats not the question.

The question is why doesnt Russelscout say the extracurriculars need to stop?

As for that spot you pointed out, if it was an isolated incedent no its not a big deal and i would say Dryden was the one who was getting chippy.

But its not an isolated incedent and it seems to happen OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again with Desanto.

6 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Good to know you disagree with Brands.

You are trying to hold me hostage to what Brands said. However, I can agree with his attempt to reform Desanto's behavior and also think Desanto hasn't really done anything too crazy this year; definitely nothing worth getting kicked off the team.

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

You are trying to hold me hostage to what Brands said. However, I can agree with his attempt to reform Desanto's behavior and also think Desanto hasn't really done anything too crazy this year; definitely nothing worth getting kicked off the team.

Not holding you hostage to anything. I dont think he should get kicked off the team either. Thats a bit excessive.

But you still refuse to think that the extracurriculars should stop, if nothing else other than making himself a target for overzealous refs who could hit him with an unsportsmanlike or flagrant costing Iowa some big points. Clearly you disagree with Brands.

As for that spot you pointed out, if it was an isolated incedent no its not a big deal and i would say Dryden was the one who was getting chippy.

But its not an isolated incedent and it seems to happen OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again with Desanto.

Sure, the extracurriculars need to stop. It would be better if Desanto was a choir boy. However, with these incedents that keep happening, none of them have been a big deal this year. Even last year against Nebby. Not really that big of a deal. Would it have been better if it didn't happen? Yes, but I don't think its been that big of a deal. 

But you still refuse to think that the extracurriculars should stop, if nothing else other than making himself a target for overzealous refs who could hit him with an unsportsmanlike or flagrant costing Iowa some big points. Clearly you disagree with Brands.

Yeah, but I never said they shouldn't stop. 

And until literally just now you never said they should stop. You simply said they were fine which most human beings will intrepret as support for those actions.

Didn't say they were fine either. I just don't think it deserves the outrage it has gotten. 

Edited by russelscout

19 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Didn't say they were fine either. I just don't think it deserves the outrage it has gotten. 

Saying something is "no big deal" typically is interpreted as being "fine"

But you're correct you didnt say they were fine.. atleast not in this thread.

As for outrage, I dont see this as outrage either. People arent freaking out yelling and screaming. They're mostly just shaking their head saying here we go again...

Edited by BigTenFanboy

7 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Saying something is "no big deal" typically is interpreted as being "fine"

But you're correct you didnt say they were fine.. atleast not in this thread.

As for outrage, I dont see this as outrage either. People arent freaking out yelling and screaming. They're mostly just shaking their head saying here we go again...

I think you an I agree more than we don't. I am more responding to the tone the thread took with comments like these:

For those of us who love the sport and want it promoted way beyond current levels, we must agree that we do not need this kind of negative attention. We must also agree at all levels (including FLO, BTN announcers and alike when they see it) to call out this kind of behavior and that it needs to be dismissed immediately. If the behavior cannot be controlled and is repeated to the point where a coach has to come out and publicly say what Tom just said, then the wrestler must be removed and vanquished from the sport completely.

In the business world an employee that's this insubordinate is typically terminated and quickly removed from the company. There are no second chances. Everyone is replaceable. So is Austin DeSanto.

Bottom line, one more chance to allow his talents and energy level to overcome his emotions, if not, he’s gone for good. That’s my take – end of story.

and when I disagreed with that I received this wonderful response:

You on the other hand - Girly-boy Cinderella, are an excuse maker for really bad behavior. You've demonstrated this often during my short time here in the form of wrestling and non-wrestling subject matter. It's clear who you are and what you stand for in life in general. There is no reasoning with individuals like you.

That is outrage. That is freaking out and overreacting. 

I think AD's behavior his freshman year will follow him throughout his wrestling career. In my opinion he has not done anything since that would involve discipline. That being said, I am not in the room or around the program. Perhaps Brands is trying to get AD to focus on a couple smaller aspects as the post season approaches. 

I think AD is definitely an exciting wrestler and by all means has the potential to win an NCAA title. I do not see him beating RBY however. 

AD is a very eccentric individual, and as someone inquired earlier has qualities of individuals who may be autistic. I do not know, but could see it being a part of the equation. If this is the case, when it is all said and done we may look at the individual in a new light.

I will say, it is very possible the Brands brothers are reaching a boiling point with an athlete, or he could be using his own methods to get AD to focus during the final month of the season. I don't think anyone but Tom knows the answer to that.

3 hours ago, ugarte said:

i'm saying ADS was holding his hand on the dude's head way longer than was necessary. he'd already released the cradle; he was standing! he knew the score and exactly what he was doing. it wasn't a war crime but neither is getting your lingering hand slapped away.

He held it until the ref ended the match, this is such a common thing even Spencer Lee does it.  And if Dryden wants to slap the hand away, whatever.  Then he piefaces Desanto after the match for no reason, and then Desanto gets in his face, which is a totally reasonable reaction.

Honestly, I don't even have a problem with any of it, it's all good theater.  But Dryden is the one who instigated it, Desanto did nothing wrong here.  Even if you just have to dislike Desanto, and you don't like the (apparent) kissing the headgear, in this case, he did zero wrong, the other guy did, and a large contingent wants to come at him for it.  So he can't win with that crowd either way.

8 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

You have 3,661 posts.  Every single one has been to back the squawkeyes.  You don't see the myopia?

I am active on most discussions. However, the longest threads tend to be about piling on to anything negative to talk about the Hawkeyes. Would you really disagree with that? 

Desanto did not need to push the dudes head down when he won by 17 - wouldn't you agree?  He could have just gotten off - but he didn't.  He could have helped him up - but he didn't.   He has social issues and has no control of his emotions, no concept of respecting his opponent.  Are rapists worse?  Yes. Duh.   It isn't Hitler-esque, but it is recurring disrespectful, and unnecessary.  Be the bigger man and building the bigger man are the 2 primary goals of college. I applaud Brands for taking a stand. 

Watch the video. Pushing his opponent away from him is how you release, and he stood there until the whistle blew. Otherwise I agree. 

Iowa has a generationally best 125 pounder and he is constantly overshadowed by a mid-level AA who is dysfunctional.  Not sure what ADS does for a job after this but he will be hard-pressed to be hired by anyone who has to justify the decision to HR (not Hawkeye Report).

Who is responsible for that overshadowing? When Spencer teched Alex Thomson in the first, the focus on this board was not a generational talent. It was to get on Desanto and Marinelli about stalling in their matches and how matches in Carver are just so unfair. You want to talk about Lee? Lets talk about him, but I don't think most of this board could handle saying something nice about a Hawkeye wrestler for more than a page or so. 

Edited by russelscout

21 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I am active on most discussions. However, the longest threads tend to be about piling on to anything negative to talk about the Hawkeyes. Would you really disagree with that? 

Watch the video. Pushing his opponent away from him is how you release, and he stood there until the whistle blew. Otherwise I agree. 

Who is responsible for that overshadowing? When Spencer teched Alex Thomson in the first, the focus on this board was not a generational talent. It was to get on Desanto and Marinelli about stalling in their matches and how matches in Carver are just so unfair. You want to talk about Lee? Lets talk about him, but I don't think most of this board could handle saying something nice about a Hawkeye wrestler for more than a page or so. 

I think you're projecting a little bit. People in general love talking about things in a negative light. Look at Twitter, Facebook, reddit, or any other message board for that matter. The longest discussions are those that discuss topics in a negative light. Remember the number of Suriano transfer threads a few years ago? High profile figures + negative comments = long discussions.

14 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I think you're projecting a little bit. People in general love talking about things in a negative light. Look at Twitter, Facebook, reddit, or any other message board for that matter. The longest discussions are those that discuss topics in a negative light. Remember the number of Suriano transfer threads a few years ago? High profile figures + negative comments = long discussions.

Thats true, but I was called myopic for defending the Hawkeyes all the time. Yet, most of the long threads are negative towards the Hawkeyes. Is Iowa such a dumpster fire that it constantly warrants that response or is it possible that there are a few myopic haters on this board too?

Edited by russelscout