Marcus Cisero

Tom Brands Says Post-Match Antics from Austin DeSanto Need to Stop!

It’s not hate for the Hawkeyes.  9/10 of their starters win and that’s the end of the conversation.  Decantgo is brought up In conversation on the regular because of his behaviors outside the actual wrestling.  He isn’t selected randomly over and over.  You get what you earn and he’s earned plenty of criticism.  Maybe he has some social issues, maybe he has difficulties controlling his emotions, maybe he’s a jerk, or maybe it’s a combination.  

1 hour ago, PASLP2 said:

It’s not hate for the Hawkeyes.  9/10 of their starters win and that’s the end of the conversation.  Decantgo is brought up In conversation on the regular because of his behaviors outside the actual wrestling.  He isn’t selected randomly over and over.  You get what you earn and he’s earned plenty of criticism.  Maybe he has some social issues, maybe he has difficulties controlling his emotions, maybe he’s a jerk, or maybe it’s a combination.  

If you're going to criticize Austin Desanto for his "extracurriculars", whatever.  I think it's dumb, but then stay consistent.  I'm going to use the word "you" here, but I mean it in the general sense of the term:

1.  He didn't do anything wrong in this scenario.  I just posted video of Spencer Lee doing the same thing.  If you're going to criticize him for "extracurriculars", make sure there are actually extracurriculars happening.

2.  Stop pretending you "hate it."  You love it if it happens to Desanto.  You can't hate these kinds of extracurriculars but then revel in it when it happens to a guy you don't like, because clearly you do not hate it.  That's the bottom line on that one.  Because that's exactly what is happening, it's people actually reveling in wrestlers doing things they claim not to like.

The negativity comes to Iowa because of program envy, club-member behaviors, and because its fans share opinions that are heavier with emotion than evidence.  ASD knowingly shows 'his dominance' at the end of matches and there is no acceptable excuse for it.  I don't care who started it.  He should had been suspended earlier this year so that he could correct his behavior before the important matches come.  

Edited by jross

12 minutes ago, jross said:

The negativity comes to Iowa because of program envy, club-member behaviors, and because its fans share opinions that are heavier with emotion than evidence.  ASD knowingly shows 'his dominance' at the end of matches and there is no acceptable excuse for it.  I don't care who started it.  He should had been suspended earlier this year so that he could correct his behavior before the important matches come.  

Again, if you care about his extra stuff, the only thing that happened this year is, what, the kissing headgear thing?  He did nothing wrong in the Minnesota match.  You can't criticize him for something he didn't do wrong.

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

He held it until the ref ended the match, this is such a common thing even Spencer Lee does it. 

Now you are just putting up a defense for the hell of it.  No one, on any planet, looks at those 2 instances and sees the same intent.    ADS has respect issues and hasn't grown up.   Spencer has eased up and is just hanging on.  

I'm not from the Jacques school of thought; i.e. I don't view it as theatre.  I have great respect for these guys.  Tough sport and 99% of it is handled well. 

End of the day I'm not being convinced nor convincing.  C'est la guerre. 

51 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

If you're going to criticize Austin Desanto for his "extracurriculars", whatever.  I think it's dumb, but then stay consistent.  I'm going to use the word "you" here, but I mean it in the general sense of the term:

1.  He didn't do anything wrong in this scenario.  I just posted video of Spencer Lee doing the same thing.  If you're going to criticize him for "extracurriculars", make sure there are actually extracurriculars happening.

2.  Stop pretending you "hate it."  You love it if it happens to Desanto.  You can't hate these kinds of extracurriculars but then revel in it when it happens to a guy you don't like, because clearly you do not hate it.  That's the bottom line on that one.  Because that's exactly what is happening, it's people actually reveling in wrestlers doing things they claim not to like.

Typical Desanto apologist.  When it happens to Desanto?  As if he has no control of the situation.  You are correct that I do love when it “happens” to Desanto because it reminds me not to change my opinion of him.  

Also, it’s a shame a team with a perfect dual season on the verge of capturing a ncaa team championship is derailed by one wrestler’s extras.  But I’m sure it’s “our” fault. 

6 minutes ago, PASLP2 said:

Also, it’s a shame a team with a perfect dual season on the verge of capturing a ncaa team championship is derailed by one wrestler’s extras.  But I’m sure it’s “our” fault. 

If they win despite this GINORMOUS setback it has to be the coaching job of the century.

5 minutes ago, PASLP2 said:

Typical Desanto apologist.  When it happens to Desanto?  As if he has no control of the situation.  You are correct that I do love when it “happens” to Desanto because it reminds me not to change my opinion of him.  

"derailed"?  One thing I can say FOR CERTAIN is they are still firmly on the tracks toward a championship.  DeSanto's "antics" this season are so trivial that they mean next to nothing in the grand scheme of things, regardless of any/all haters and apologists on the message boards.........

1 minute ago, MSU158 said:

"derailed"?  One thing I can say FOR CERTAIN is they are still firmly on the tracks toward a championship.  DeSanto's "antics" this season are so trivial that they mean next to nothing in the grand scheme of things, regardless of any/all haters and apologists on the message boards.........

Umm, I meant all of the DISCUSSION about Iowa’s season is derailed because of the Desanto chatter.  Didn’t mean his antics will cost them a trophy.  Jesus 

Just now, PASLP2 said:

Umm, I meant all of the DISCUSSION about Iowa’s season is derailed because of the Desanto chatter.  Didn’t mean his antics will cost them a trophy.  Jesus 

Please, there isn't a week that goes by since the beginning of this forum where someone hasn't found fault in something the Hawkeyes did.

13 minutes ago, PASLP2 said:

Again, Desanto didn't do anything here, any different then thousands of wrestlers before him.  Keeping your hands on the opponent until the ref blows the whistle is ridiculously common.  There's nothing here to "apologize" for.  As to the other antics, I'm not apologizing for them or pretending they didn't happen, I just happen to enjoy them.

25 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

Now you are just putting up a defense for the hell of it.  No one, on any planet, looks at those 2 instances and sees the same intent.    ADS has respect issues and hasn't grown up.   Spencer has eased up and is just hanging on.  

I'm not from the Jacques school of thought; i.e. I don't view it as theatre.  I have great respect for these guys.  Tough sport and 99% of it is handled well. 

End of the day I'm not being convinced nor convincing.  C'est la guerre. 

He and Spencer do the exact same thing.  In this Minnesota match, Desanto did nothing wrong.  I don't think any of the antics are bad, but some do, I get; it just didn't happen here.  You're talking about "seeing" intent.  1. that's not something you can see; 2. You're seeing what you want to see.  Desanto is not slamming the head, clubbing, etc.  He's got his hands on him, just like Spencer.

2 minutes ago, Martini said:

20 hours ago, GockeS said:

im not sure i know the story

russelscout: I was referring to @Martini's story about Brands swearing at someone trying to get Fullhart's drug test. 

Brands used the F word even before this that day. BTW Kevin Jackson said "they need to have a mike at matside" for the ISU/Iowa dual.

*clutches pearls* 

And who is Mike, and why must he be there?

45 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

It will mean a lot if DeSanto is disqualified at Big Ten or NCAA because of it.

The hawkeye hate runs strong.  From what I have watched, this Iowa team doesn't have too many problems with extracurriculars and poor sportsmanship.    I think people don't like Brands' and their antics and by association, the athletes are judged harshly.  AD is on a short leash and he deserves that but what has he done that is so terrible this season? 

1 hour ago, PASLP2 said:

That isn't true either.  There has been a great amount of positive discussion about Iowa this season.  Most of the DeSanto chatter is pretty much exactly that.  Chatter about DeSanto. 

Please tell me how the F*** I am supposed to be able to tell you are only taking about DISCUSSION based on this sentence:  "Also, it’s a shame a team with a perfect dual season on the verge of capturing a ncaa team championship is derailed by one wrestler’s extras."

If I said, My penis is really large.  You would take it to mean exactly that.  But, what I really meant was compared to Asian men.  I mean shouldn't you know I was only comparing myself to Asian men?

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Again, Desanto didn't do anything here, any different then thousands of wrestlers before him.  Keeping your hands on the opponent until the ref blows the whistle is ridiculously common.  There's nothing here to "apologize" for.  As to the other antics, I'm not apologizing for them or pretending they didn't happen, I just happen to enjoy them.

He and Spencer do the exact same thing.  In this Minnesota match, Desanto did nothing wrong.  I don't think any of the antics are bad, but some do, I get; it just didn't happen here.  You're talking about "seeing" intent.  1. that's not something you can see; 2. You're seeing what you want to see.  Desanto is not slamming the head, clubbing, etc.  He's got his hands on him, just like Spencer.

Now you're scaring me.  Scienter = foundation of the entire legal system, absent which there is no crime.  But then you knew that.  

• Desanto - 2 seconds plus.  Intent is obvious.  He is a recidivist. 
  •  Lee  - hand on neck for 1 second as he was getting up.  Then he adjusted like a normal human being and the whistle blew.  No fireworks.  

I'm out - not worth the pearls. 

We'll be having more threads about this dude before a month is out. 

46 minutes ago, ironmonkey said:

The hawkeye hate runs strong.  From what I have watched, this Iowa team doesn't have too many problems with extracurriculars and poor sportsmanship.    I think people don't like Brands' and their antics and by association, the athletes are judged harshly.  AD is on a short leash and he deserves that but what has he done that is so terrible this season? 

Lee, Murin, Lugo, Young, Marinelli, Kemmerer, Brands / Assad, Warner, Cass   - I'd bet not 1 thread about their exhibiting poor sportsmanship all year.  Exemplary student athletes from what can be seen.   The good on all of those guys has to outweigh the bad 10 to 1.  Well-earned.   ADS and the coaches, not so much. 

On 2/19/2020 at 10:46 AM, Daybreak said:

You’re right. My bad. Who would want to watch entertainment in a sport that has struggled to remain in the olympics and even in programs. I for one would rather watch two guys not scoring for 3 periods. Sure wouldn’t want to change the channel for that excitement. Especially if wrestling wasn’t my thing and football or ufc was on. 

U.S. college wrestling was kicked out of the Olympics? Whaaaaaaaaaaaattttttt?

It would be hysterical if DeSanto gets DQ’d or causes some negative team points at NCAA’s, causing the Hawks to miss a team title.  Brands might literally choke him out.  If I’m wrestling him, I’m poking the bear...trying to get a reaction.