Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Berge may not wrestle at B10s and NCAAs (Cael)

Cael remaining non-commital about whether Berge will wrestle at Big 10s and NCAAs:

The Nittany Lions’ head coach said Tuesday he was also “not sure” whether the 157-pound redshirt sophomore would even wrestle Sunday against American.

“Yeah, I’d say things are a little bit in motion,” Sanderson said, referring to Big Tens. “We don’t have a lot of time there but, yeah, we’re always playing with things.”

“It’s his first match in a long period of time,” Sanderson said Tuesday, referring to his 4-3 loss, “and what he went through last October is a big challenge for anybody to figure out. But, yeah, we’ll see what we do with that weight moving forward here.”

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-wrestling/article240403516.html

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

15 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Cael remaining non-commital about whether Berge will wrestle at Big 10s and NCAAs:

The Nittany Lions’ head coach said Tuesday he was also “not sure” whether the 157-pound redshirt sophomore would even wrestle Sunday against American.

“Yeah, I’d say things are a little bit in motion,” Sanderson said, referring to Big Tens. “We don’t have a lot of time there but, yeah, we’re always playing with things.”

“It’s his first match in a long period of time,” Sanderson said Tuesday, referring to his 4-3 loss, “and what he went through last October is a big challenge for anybody to figure out. But, yeah, we’ll see what we do with that weight moving forward here.”

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-wrestling/article240403516.html

Be a Lannister... pay your debts.

3 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Kinner just got beat by someone outside the top 100 at 157 according to Wrestlestat. If Berge can't beat Kinner then it's best not to run him out for Big Ten's IMO. He's clearly nowhere near 100%

It a a weird situation. Kinner is coming up 3 weights, so taking random losses isn’t shocking. 

Berge is obviously not 100%. Remember Dake in Spain last year in his first competition back? He looked like crap too. 

If Berge can continue progressing, he could be way better than what we saw

15 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

It a a weird situation. Kinner is coming up 3 weights, so taking random losses isn’t shocking. 

Berge is obviously not 100%. Remember Dake in Spain last year in his first competition back? He looked like crap too. 

If Berge can continue progressing, he could be way better than what we saw

Stating the obvious here, but the key is obviously Berge's health. I do think people forget how good he is, which is a shame for a guy with his overall resume. I didn't even realize this when I looked up his record yesterday, but when you combine both freestyle and folkstyle Brady Berge has wins over 4 different guys that were ranked #1 or #2 at 149 or 157 this year. Lugo, Brayton Lee he's beaten twice (one by 11-0 in free), O'Connor, and David Carr.  

15 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Stating the obvious here, but the key is obviously Berge's health. I do think people forget how good he is, which is a shame for a guy with his overall resume. I didn't even realize this when I looked up his record yesterday, but when you combine both freestyle and folkstyle Brady Berge has wins over 4 different guys that were ranked #1 or #2 at 149 or 157 this year. Lugo, Brayton Lee he's beaten twice (one by 11-0 in free), O'Connor, and David Carr.  

I agree that Berge is going to improve, but of those 4 people he did finish behind 2 of them at nattys and the other 2 were redshirts last year. He only has a folk style win over Lugo who I think most agree has shown significant improvements since last year. The rest are freestyle. Berge could show improvement, but its not like he was a world beater last year pushing for a title. He lost to Cole Martin. 

4 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Kinner just got beat by someone outside the top 100 at 157 according to Wrestlestat. If Berge can't beat Kinner then it's best not to run him out for Big Ten's IMO. He's clearly nowhere near 100%

How can you lose to someone outside of the Top 100 when there's only about 80 teams in Division 1?

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Why would anyone interpret this as proof of caring?  Not that he doesn't, but this is a business decision. 

Are the team points Cael thinks Berge can score at NCAA's worth burning a year of his eligibility?  That's all this is.  

No room for Berge's health in your view? That seems crazy. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

No room for Berge's health in your view? That seems crazy. 

If it was a health issue I think Cael's language would have been different.  Berge's been cleared for full go, but it's nearly impossible for him to be close to 100% in just 3 more weeks' time. 

IMO the questions now are (1) how close can he get, and (2) could his production at NCAA's help PSU win a title.  If Cael's read on (2) is no, I think they go the medical redshirt route, which he fully deserves.  

If the staff thinks he can score ~5 points, I would wrestle him--and I don't think it would be some grand injustice, or mean they don't care about their wrestlers if they do.  

2 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

If it was a health issue I think Cael's language would have been different.  Berge's been cleared for full go, but it's nearly impossible for him to be close to 100% in just 3 more weeks' time. 

IMO the questions now are (1) how close can he get, and (2) could his production at NCAA's help PSU win a title.  If Cael's read on (2) is no, I think they go the medical redshirt route, which he fully deserves.  

If the staff thinks he can score ~5 points, I would wrestle him--and I don't think it would be some grand injustice, or mean they don't care about their wrestlers if they do.  

I leave open the possibility that each of the duals he wrestled in impacted him post match. We basically know the December dual affected him. Maybe the most recent one too. Of course maybe not. Only time will tell. 

7 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Inspite of this Cael haters seem to think the exact opposite.

Anyone that thinks any coach doesn't care about their athletes has a messed up thought process, imo.

To be a successful coach at any level requires caring about the athletes you work with.

3 hours ago, OfficialObserver said:

How can you lose to someone outside of the Top 100 when there's only about 80 teams in Division 1?

Are you serious? Each team usually has at least 2-3 wrestlers at every weight. These are the guys that Colleges send to these in season tournaments instead of duals. Plus there are many more programs that aren't D1 that have wrestling.

45 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

Anyone that thinks any coach doesn't care about their athletes has a messed up thought process, imo.

To be a successful coach at any level requires caring about the athletes you work with.

You think zero coaches put their short-term interests above the long term interests of athletes?   I'll grant you most do, including Carl.

5 hours ago, MagnetBack said:

Because teams have backups who are better than starters on other teams. 

And it looks like the guy Kinner lost to is a backup (or maybe redshirting?) for Edinboro.  But the starter is only 15-12 and actually ranked 3 spots behind that guy on wrestlestat