Jimmy Cinnabon

If Mark Hall finishes as a 1x NCAA champ, will it be considered a disappointment?

I think Kemerer has his number and beats him at B10s and at NCAAs.  Kemerer is just too big and long for Hall.

So I have Hall finishing 2nd, which gives him 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd which is an amazing career but given that he was basically the most heralded recruit ever (6x HS champ with multiple top level world credentials), wrestling on the best team in the last decade, with the best coach....would it be a disappointment for him to only have 1 championship?

46 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I think Kemerer has his number and beats him at B10s and at NCAAs.  Kemerer is just too big and long for Hall.

So I have Hall finishing 2nd, which gives him 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd which is an amazing career but given that he was basically the most heralded recruit ever (6x HS champ with multiple top level world credentials), wrestling on the best team in the last decade, with the best coach....would it be a disappointment for him to only have 1 championship?

Not to me.  I was hoping he'd never win a title. 

Based on his pedigree, age, choice of school and the fact Flo did a doc on him years ago called, "The Prodigy"....absolutely!  Even worse is if he loses this year to a PA kid who really did fit the mold at PSU when it came to work ethic, faith and demeanor who was never really considered by PSU.

Proves he selected the wrong school, plain and simple.  While he is likely getting paid to wrestle, his coach has been unable to further develop the talent Hall possessed when he stepped foot on campus.  

10 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I'd think it would be a huge disappointment if a guy who won an NCAA title as a true freshman never won another title.

Is it really impressive that he was a true freshman when he was 2 years older than Dake/Yianni as true freshmen? 

1 minute ago, GranbyTroll said:

Is it really impressive that he was a true freshman when he was 2 years older than Dake/Yianni as true freshmen? 

Why do people get so caught up on this?  Yes, Mark Hall winning as a true freshman is absolutely impressive.  This level is the toughest level of folkstyle in the world.  Winning at ANY point, no matter how old a guy is, is impressive.  Only a very small percentage of NCAA wrestlers ever accomplish that.  It's impressive when a 5th year or a 6th year guy wins.

2 hours ago, Boompa said:

Based on his pedigree, age, choice of school and the fact Flo did a doc on him years ago called, "The Prodigy"....absolutely!  Even worse is if he loses this year to a PA kid who really did fit the mold at PSU when it came to work ethic, faith and demeanor who was never really considered by PSU.

Kemerer is a fine young man.  But "who really did fit the mold" strongly implies that Hall is none of the things that characterize "the mold," which doesn't seem to fit.  

He's more demonstrative than the average bear after some of his big wins, but nothing that's out of bounds.  He obviously has worked very hard at his wrestling and he seems like a decent guy as much as you can tell given that he's relatively shy.  No rap sheet or any hint of bad off the mat behavior.  Low key and direct but thoughtful in his interviews.

I have no idea if he believes in God, and if so, in what way, but I hope we're not holding it against people whether or not they share their faith publicly.

I remember seeing Hall, out of range of the cameras and with almost nobody noticing, signing autographs in the corner on his way to the tunnel after losing what had to be a very disappointing NCAA final last year (rubber NCAA match in a battle of titans; reversed his win earlier that year; lost on what I still think was a bad call).  That struck me as a revealing, understated, and classy move.  

1 hour ago, StallWarning said:

On the flip side if Mark wins this year he will have went 1-2-2-1 and will have had a comparable career to David Taylor but will likely not be regarded in the same light when he should be.

More career losses and less hodge trophies.  I agree they’re comparable to a sense but Taylor’s is definitely favorable.

1 hour ago, StallWarning said:

On the flip side if Mark wins this year he will have went 1-2-2-1 and will have had a comparable career to David Taylor but will likely not be regarded in the same light when he should be.

Oh, I don't know about that. Taylor was more dominant than Hall ever was. Hall is more dominant than he gets credit for, though. He's gotten a lot of falls this year.

47 minutes ago, drag it said:

Kemerer is a fine young man.  But "who really did fit the mold" strongly implies that Hall is none of the things that characterize "the mold," which doesn't seem to fit.  

He's more demonstrative than the average bear after some of his big wins, but nothing that's out of bounds.  He obviously has worked very hard at his wrestling and he seems like a decent guy as much as you can tell given that he's relatively shy.  No rap sheet or any hint of bad off the mat behavior.  Low key and direct but thoughtful in his interviews.

I have no idea if he believes in God, and if so, in what way, but I hope we're not holding it against people whether or not they share their faith publicly.

I remember seeing Hall, out of range of the cameras and with almost nobody noticing, signing autographs in the corner on his way to the tunnel after losing what had to be a very disappointing NCAA final last year (rubber NCAA match in a battle of titans; reversed his win earlier that year; lost on what I still think was a bad call).  That struck me as a revealing, understated, and classy move.  

Drag it - that is one of the nicest well thought out posts I've read in a long time. This forum and wrestling in general needs more / many more individuals like you who seek out the good as opposed to the bad we often hear so much about. Well said sir.

1 hour ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Drag it - that is one of the nicest well thought out posts I've read in a long time. This forum and wrestling in general needs more / many more individuals like you who seek out the good as opposed to the bad we often hear so much about. Well said sir.

No one has said Hall is a bad guy and I do believe he fits the PSU mold.

But so does Kemerer but Hall was the bright, shiny object in the room but Kemerer was the kid only 2 hours away that couldve netted Spencer Lee at the same time.

Bad move.

The older I become, and the longer I am around the sport, the less important it is for me to expect things from these young men and women. Like I tell my own kids, "give me maximum effort, and I'm happy."

That said, for me the answer is a very firm, "no."