Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

If Mark Hall finishes as a 1x NCAA champ, will it be considered a disappointment?

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Boompa said:

No one has said Hall is a bad guy and I do believe he fits the PSU mold.

But so does Kemerer but Hall was the bright, shiny object in the room but Kemerer was the kid only 2 hours away that couldve netted Spencer Lee at the same time.

Bad move.

Are you arguing that PSU recruited Hall over Kemerer? Kemerer was like 138 in high-school while Hall was 170. They didn’t choose Hall over Kemerer. 
You could maybe say that they recruited Zain, Nolf, or Joseph over him sure. Joseph did pin him in the state finals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, drag it said:

I remember seeing Hall, out of range of the cameras and with almost nobody noticing, signing autographs in the corner on his way to the tunnel after losing what had to be a very disappointing NCAA final last year (rubber NCAA match in a battle of titans; reversed his win earlier that year; lost on what I still think was a bad call).  That struck me as a revealing, understated, and classy move.  

I also remember shortly after losing the NCAA final his sophomore year he was matside and extremely happy and excited for Bo Nickal pinning MyMar and was the right there to congratulate him. 

I know most of us (myself included) would probably be back in the locker room area brooding.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I also remember shortly after losing the NCAA final his sophomore year he was matside and extremely happy and excited for Bo Nickal pinning MyMar and was the right there to congratulate him. 

I know most of us (myself included) would probably be back in the locker room area brooding.

Mark Hall is a class act through and through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marcus,

I am certain Mark is a class act. I will take your word. When he rode out Zahid and at end match at Penn state few seconds left gave a little extra at end( seemed like dick move) . It rubbed me wrong way. I started rooting for Zahid after that and was happy Zahid one and got him back when it mattered.  JMHO on how I took it

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would absolutely be a disappointment. His high school resume was insane. Besides Bo Nickal he beat a everyone, plus six Minnesota state titles and two junior world titles. Add in his winning as a true frosh, you could hardly ask for a more promising set up for a four time champ. 

But get this. In an interview prior to his ever wrestling a college match Hall said one of his goals was to win at least two NCAA titles. I was surprised at the time he had such modest goals for who he was. Meanwhile I think the reason he hasn’t already won three titles is Zahid. Zahid is a once a decade talent and it was a bad draw for Hall he ended up in his weight three years in a row. In fact as we all know Hall could easily have lost to Zahid in the semis his frosh year. Who knows what would have happened then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigTimeFan said:

It would absolutely be a disappointment. His high school resume was insane. Besides Bo Nickal he beat a everyone, plus six Minnesota state titles and two junior world titles. Add in his winning as a true frosh, you could hardly ask for a more promising set up for a four time champ. 

But get this. In an interview prior to his ever wrestling a college match Hall said one of his goals was to win at least two NCAA titles. I was surprised at the time he had such modest goals for who he was. Meanwhile I think the reason he hasn’t already won three titles is Zahid. Zahid is a once a decade talent and it was a bad draw for Hall he ended up in his weight three years in a row. In fact as we all know Hall could easily have lost to Zahid in the semis his frosh year. Who knows what would have happened then. 

And he could have just as easily won, in the finals against Zahid, last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Hall is indeed a class act. Any notion that PSU made a mistake recruiting Hall is insanity. I am still picking him to beat Kemerer. 

What happened to boycotting Jimmy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Hall is indeed a class act. Any notion that PSU made a mistake recruiting Hall is insanity. I am still picking him to beat Kemerer. 

It's pretty insane to consider a guy who has won 1 NCAA title and 2 runnerups (so far) to be a "recruiting mistake". Some of the guys around here need to moderate their expectations.

I'm picking Hall to beat Kemmerer also. Kemmerer may be the better folk wrestler, but I think Hall's athletic ability brings home the bacon in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely. 

He still will have had an insane career that he should not hold his head down about, and PSU has been very lucky to have him. Any fan, coach, teammate...etc would never say that him going there was a mistake, or anything of the sort. 

That all being said, him only winning 1 title is definitely below what anyone would have projected. Especially after winning is his freshman year. One could argue that bookend titles are still a bit of a disappointment. All this speaks to his level of skill though. He has had a career that most people honestly dream of having, and it potentially could still fall short. I kind of think of it like Cary Kolat, except Mark has not necessarily been screwed out of achieving his goals like Cary was. 

 

All of this coming from someone who doesnt really like him all that much. I have a ton of respect for him. Winning 1 title would definitely be a disappointment given his potential. Having someone in your weight like Zahid does not excuse this, especially given the composition of the weight now. Even though he has a loss to Kemerer I think most people agree he should be able to get the win when it matters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, iGranby said:

Absolutely. 

He still will have had an insane career that he should not hold his head down about, and PSU has been very lucky to have him. Any fan, coach, teammate...etc would never say that him going there was a mistake, or anything of the sort. 

That all being said, him only winning 1 title is definitely below what anyone would have projected. Especially after winning is his freshman year. One could argue that bookend titles are still a bit of a disappointment. All this speaks to his level of skill though. He has had a career that most people honestly dream of having, and it potentially could still fall short. I kind of think of it like Cary Kolat, except Mark has not necessarily been screwed out of achieving his goals like Cary was. 

 

All of this coming from someone who doesnt really like him all that much. I have a ton of respect for him. Winning 1 title would definitely be a disappointment given his potential. Having someone in your weight like Zahid does not excuse this, especially given the composition of the weight now. Even though he has a loss to Kemerer I think most people agree he should be able to get the win when it matters. 

SHHHHHHHHHH!!! You said the Z Word!! Please refer to him now as "he who must not be named"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I do not believe a 4x finalist can be a disappointment, regardless of ridiculous hype, so no. NCAA wrestling is ridiculously difficult.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure. Sometimes it’s just luck of the draw. Banach might have been a four to timer and Alan Fried could have been a three timer. It really matters who’s there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I do not believe a 4x finalist can be a disappointment, regardless of ridiculous hype, so no. NCAA wrestling is ridiculously difficult.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No according to the freestyle lovers. To them it's just another "age level" tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...