leshismore

Best restaurant within a 20 mile radius of State College?

I am going to State College in April for the Olympic Trial Finals [VIP TIX from a friend].

Question: What are the best, highest quality restaurants near the event?

My buddy’s like fine dining, no chains or pizza/wing joints [not that we don’t like pizza and wings].

Best restaurant within a 20 mile radius please.  Thanks ahead of time.

40 minutes ago, leshismore said:

I am going to State College in April for the Olympic Trial Finals [VIP TIX from a friend].

My buddy’s like fine dining, no chains or pizza/wing joints [not that we don’t like pizza and wings].

Carnegie Inn & Spa or The Dining Room at Nittany Lion Inn

47 minutes ago, leshismore said:

https://thetavern.com/

I am a traditionalist so I still go to The Tavern. Its right on College Avenue in the center of town and a 10 minute walk from Bryce Jordan.

If you want something different, but awesome, try the RE Farm Café. Its on Fillmore Rd and the way to get there is to take Porter Rd which runs north-south and is the road just east of the stadium complex. It bisects Bryce Jordan and the baseball field. So take that north and it becomes Fox Hollow Rd. Its about 10 minutes from Bryce Jordan.

https://refarmcafe.com/menu/

The Nittany Lion Inn mentioned above is also good. 

Edited by TBar1977

I personally hate the tavern. I can say good things about the Carnegie House. I have heard good things about RE Farm Cafe. I haven't been but reviews are good. I haven't been to the Nittany Lion Inn since the changed to "Steakhouse" format but it is generally good. Kelly's Steak and Seafood in Boalsburg is good. Barrel 21 is hit or miss, but the menu is different. All American Ale House is also good and diverse menu.

The bottom line is there isn't really any "fine dining" in State College, but there are places that you can go for a good meal.

BTW all the places listed are less than 10 miles from the Bryce Jordan Center

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

I am a traditionalist so I still go to The Tavern. Its right on College Avenue in the center of town and a 10 minute walk from Bryce Jordan.

If you want something different, but awesome, try the RE Farm Café. Its on Fillmore Rd and the way to get there is to take Porter Rd which runs north-south and is the road just east of the stadium complex. It bisects Bryce Jordan and the baseball field. So take that north and it becomes Fox Hollow Rd. Its about 10 minutes from Bryce Jordan.

Hey Tbar typed in, "what are the best restaurants in State College" on Google!

Not really high end but I love Otto's Brewpub but Nitt Lion Inn is a good choice, especially for breakfast.  My family meet there one Sunday a year before Xmas.

Edited by Boompa

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Second the vote for the Tavern.  Very traditional but always good.

(That's not a vote against RE Farm ... I've never been)

Edited by CholleyVandine

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

TBar is the man.  Thank you so much.

34 minutes ago, leshismore said:

Thank you everyone.  These places look amazing. They may not be "Fine Dinning", but they look perfect for the crew I'll be with.  I really appreciate it.

I will be going to at least 2 of these places.

Eat well, live well. Have fun during your stay. Its a great college town and you should really enjoy it. 

I haven't been to State College or Penn State since Feb 2010 (Michigan dual).

A lot changes in 10+ years. But The Tavern isn't bad. You can also get a good burger at plenty of places on College Ave.

As a State College area resident and former Tavern manager my first plug is for Pat Daugherty and The Tavern. You cannot imagine the contributions he has bestowed on town and campus. Wrestling is the only sport he directly supports.

Kelly's Steak and Seafood as well as Duffy's Tavern, both in Boalsburg are terrific. Kellys has been voted best seafood and steak for 5 years.

Hublesburg Inn, a short drive, is also good.

If you want a true local favorite, then seek out Jim's Itailian Cuisine in Bellefonte.

Beers? Otto's, Happy Valley Brewery and Milhiem's Elk Creek Cafe.

Otto's also has Barrel 21 a distillery in front.

Bellefonte has Big Springs.

What else?

Edited by ResiliteMarine

I’ve never been to Kelly’s or Duffys but I’ve heard good things. Duffy’s I think is where the D-linemen have their nights out during the season. 

If you just want a beer and a good sandwich go to champs on Atherton. 

40 minutes ago, LLB said:

I’ve never been to Kelly’s or Duffys but I’ve heard good things. Duffy’s I think is where the D-linemen have their nights out during the season. 

If you just want a beer and a good sandwich go to champs on Atherton. 

I am sitting at Duffys.

No lineman eat here on any regular basis. Who would pay?

Used to be Joe sequestered them at Toftrees, they ate there, but that was 20 years ago.

26 minutes ago, ResiliteMarine said:

I am sitting at Duffys.

No lineman eat here on any regular basis. Who would pay?

Used to be Joe sequestered them at Toftrees, they ate there, but that was 20 years ago.

Joe sequestered the whole squad at Toftrees. Absolutely true. The visiting team stayed at the Ramada on South Atherton near Hills Plaza.