jsmalls131313

Has there ever been a team with 10 guys placing in the top 4 or 5 at NCAA's?

125: Leroy Vega (Portage, Ind.) - Second at Big Tens, Third at NCAAs
133: Brett Lawrence (Sandpoint, Idaho) - Fifth at Big Tens, Eighth at NCAAs
141: Chad Erickson (Apple Valley, Minn.) - Second at Big Tens, Eighth at NCAAs
149: Jared Lawrence (Sandpoint, Idaho) - First at Big Tens, Sixth at NCAAs
157: Luke Becker (Cambridge, Minn.) - Second at Big Tens, Fourth at NCAAs
165: Brad Pike (Brownsdale, Minn.) - Third at Big Tens, Fourth at NCAAs
174: Jacob Volkmann (Henning, Minn.) - Fourth at Big Tens, Fourth at NCAAs
184: Damion Hahn (Lakewood, N.J.) - Third at Big Tens, Fifth at NCAAs
197: Owen Elzen (Eyota, Minn.) - Third at Big Tens, Third at NCAAs
285: Garrett Lowney (Freedom, Wisc.) - First at Big Tens, Third at NCAAs

This is the only time in history a team had 10 AAs.

4 minutes ago, jsmalls131313 said:

I noticed Iowa had 9 guys ranked in the top 4 and all 10 ranked in the top 8. Has there ever been a team with 10 guys placing in the top 4 or 5 at NCAA's? 

Nope. Only 1 team has ever placed all 10 wrestlers and that was the 2001 Minnesota Gophers. They Placed:

125: 3rd

133: 8th 

141:8th 

149:6th 

157: 4th 

165: 4th 

174: 4th 

184: 5th 

197: 3rd

HWT: 3rd 

29 minutes ago, Nicky_Pipes said:

Nope. Only 1 team has ever placed all 10 wrestlers and that was the 2001 Minnesota Gophers. They Placed:

125: 3rd

133: 8th 

141:8th 

149:6th 

157: 4th 

165: 4th 

174: 4th 

184: 5th 

197: 3rd

HWT: 3rd 

Thanks. Wow would have expected one of those dominant Iowa teams from the 90s or even a recent PSU team to have 10 AA's. 

That Minnesota squad was incredible. But Iowa definitely has a shot to beat that this year. 

51 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

125: Leroy Vega (Portage, Ind.) - Second at Big Tens, Third at NCAAs
133: Brett Lawrence (Sandpoint, Idaho) - Fifth at Big Tens, Eighth at NCAAs
141: Chad Erickson (Apple Valley, Minn.) - Second at Big Tens, Eighth at NCAAs
149: Jared Lawrence (Sandpoint, Idaho) - First at Big Tens, Sixth at NCAAs
157: Luke Becker (Cambridge, Minn.) - Second at Big Tens, Fourth at NCAAs
165: Brad Pike (Brownsdale, Minn.) - Third at Big Tens, Fourth at NCAAs
174: Jacob Volkmann (Henning, Minn.) - Fourth at Big Tens, Fourth at NCAAs
184: Damion Hahn (Lakewood, N.J.) - Third at Big Tens, Fifth at NCAAs
197: Owen Elzen (Eyota, Minn.) - Third at Big Tens, Third at NCAAs
285: Garrett Lowney (Freedom, Wisc.) - First at Big Tens, Third at NCAAs

This is the only time in history a team had 10 AAs.

Pretty amazing to have 10 AA and none of them made the finals

5 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Pretty amazing to have 10 AA and none of them made the finals

What’s more amazing is Minnesota WON NCAAs without a finalist, let alone champ.  They “just” placed all 10.  

Edited by Cptafw164

6 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

Fun personal fact- I went to the J Robinson 28 Day camp the summer following that run when all these guys were camp counselors. I remember Volkmann putting our running group through absolute hell one morning...

I never understood why kids pay go to a camp just to get destroyed with a ton of running and some wrestling. You can do that crap at home.

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

I never understood why kids pay go to a camp just to get destroyed with a ton of running and some wrestling. You can do that crap at home.

I’m sure if we spent a couple minutes talking to one another there would be plenty I don’t understand about you Russelscout...

That being said, I didn’t come from a powerhouse high school or have a club that was very great nearby that could teach me the level of work ethic it took to be successful so the camp was a great option for me and because of its duration and full immersion in a high intensity environment, it was like getting another season of experience in a month. Additionally, it was overall a phenomenal experience that taught more than wrestling skills that I still look back on. 

6 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

I’m sure if we spent a couple minutes talking to one another there would be plenty I don’t understand about you Russelscout...

That being said, I didn’t come from a powerhouse high school or have a club that was very great nearby that could teach me the level of work ethic it took to be successful so the camp was a great option for me and because of its duration and full immersion in a high intensity environment, it was like getting another season of experience in a month. Additionally, it was overall a phenomenal experience that taught more than wrestling skills that I still look back on. 

Its awesome that you saw it as valuable. Maybe it does the trick for some kids who are in your situation; learning consistency and how to push yourself and all that. 

I have had some experience with kids going to this camp though. One in-particular won some kind of award at the camp for hardest worker. He really didn't need to go to that camp to learn to work hard. It more played into his confirmation bias that ridiculous hard work is going to get you to the top. Problem is that he never learned to slow down and learn to set up or finish his shot properly, he was always go go go. 

On the other hand, the best wrestlers that I have been around; multi-time state champs and D1 AA's never went to that camp and never even thought about it. They did however all travel locally to go wrestle with anyone they could find. I bet if you really look back, you would not find many future D1 stars at that camp. I also know this because I have a buddy who interned with the Minny athletic department, and he said none of the high level recruits come in to do J Robs camps to which I was not surprised.

32 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Its awesome that you saw it as valuable. Maybe it does the trick for some kids who are in your situation; learning consistency and how to push yourself and all that. 

I have had some experience with kids going to this camp though. One in-particular won some kind of award at the camp for hardest worker. He really didn't need to go to that camp to learn to work hard. It more played into his confirmation bias that ridiculous hard work is going to get you to the top. Problem is that he never learned to slow down and learn to set up or finish his shot properly, he was always go go go. 

On the other hand, the best wrestlers that I have been around; multi-time state champs and D1 AA's never went to that camp and never even thought about it. They did however all travel locally to go wrestle with anyone they could find. I bet if you really look back, you would not find many future D1 stars at that camp. I also know this because I have a buddy who interned with the Minny athletic department, and he said none of the high level recruits come in to do J Robs camps to which I was not surprised.

The camp mostly helps kids who may locally be District and Regional level wrestlers become state level kids.

The argument how a lot of these things could be done by themselves at home would be like people who take Zumba, yoga, aerobics classes... these could all be done alone at home but many people choose to take fitness classes at the local gym.

I am struggling to see what your point is Russelscout... is it that if you want to be a D1 National Champion or AA you should avoid all wrestling camps and JRob in particular? Is it that no decent wrestlers go to wrestling camps by your standards? By that logic should attorneys or medical professionals not bother trying other pathways to their profession of choice if they aren’t Harvard caliber students? 

I wasn’t a D1 AA or state champ but I was a top 5 guy in the state who loved wrestling and I coach it today and I encourage all of our athletes to do as much as they can in the off-season to include camps/clubs etc... 97%+ of high school wrestlers will never be D1AA’s but does that mean they should not seek ways to participate in the sport and take steps to improve? For what it’s worth there were 3 eventual state champs from my state that were at the camp when I was there...

Your experience is your own and mine is my own and not every athlete is going to be a top recruit in the country in any sport they participate in. That myopic view is what will kill participation at the high school age level because every athlete will get left behind that doesn’t show promise to be a National Champ or 4 time state champion. 

8 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

The argument how a lot of these things could be done by themselves at home would be like people who take Zumba, yoga, aerobics classes... these could all be done alone at home but many people choose to take fitness classes at the local gym.

Or that putting in a ton of miles running and training to your limit is not an optimal way to train.

So your main gripe with the camp is that because it pushes you to your limit it is not a good way to train? I’m not sure what your understanding of the camp is especially since you never participated in it but the majority of the day you are wrestling and there is/was a cross training session once maybe twice a day. The camp helps kids to learn the level to which they can train and push themselves to take a jump to the next level just as Bigtenfanboy mentioned. 

When there isn’t someone such as yourself nearby with your extensive wrestling and training knowledge to devote that amount of time every day to high school athletes a camp can be a great option. I also strongly disagree with you that at some point in an athletes training they need to be pushed to and past their limit to achieve growth. 

36 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

So your main gripe with the camp is that because it pushes you to your limit it is not a good way to train? I’m not sure what your understanding of the camp is especially since you never participated in it but the majority of the day you are wrestling and there is/was a cross training session once maybe twice a day. The camp helps kids to learn the level to which they can train and push themselves to take a jump to the next level just as Bigtenfanboy mentioned. 

When there isn’t someone such as yourself nearby with your extensive wrestling and training knowledge to devote that amount of time every day to high school athletes a camp can be a great option. I also strongly disagree with you that at some point in an athletes training they need to be pushed to and past their limit to achieve growth. 

Im saying the return on a $3,000 plus investment is not worth it. I think time and money are better spent getting in the car and going to local clubs, summer practices, and technique based camps. 

13 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Im saying the return on a $3,000 plus investment is not worth it. I think time and money are better spent getting in the car and going to local clubs, summer practices, and technique based camps. 

Ahhh I had a feeling the cost would be where we eventually would end up... Fortunately for the general population you aren’t managing our finances and deeming what is and is not a good investment.

Everything you just mentioned is self contained in the camp itself and when you consider the hours put in in that month of wrestling, and variety of quality partners to wrestle with, the exposure time can outweigh the number of wrestling opportunities in a given summer break in a community. 

For whatever reason, you’re just coming across as sour grapes or just want to argue about the merits of not attending one specific wrestling camp which is really head scratching. Maybe you wanted to go when you were younger and either couldn’t based on the finances or for some other reason which is completely understandable. I just don’t know what you are trying to accomplish by denigrating others for participating in an intensive wrestling camp...

Edited by DoubleHalf

1 minute ago, DoubleHalf said:

Ahhh I had a feeling the cost would be where we eventually would end up... Fortunately for the general population you aren’t managing our finances and deeming what is and is not a good investment.

Most people want results from a camp, the fact that none of the top guys in the country do this, should speak to the value it provides. 3k is a lot of money for some families. I would feel bad for any family you told needs to spend 3k on this camp because they definitely don't, and there really is no evidence that anyone needs to. 

3 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

Everything you just mentioned is self contained in the camp itself and when you consider the hours put in in that month of wrestling, and variety of quality partners to wrestle with, the exposure time can outweigh the number of wrestling opportunities in any given week during the summer in a particular community. 

It also doesn't support any grass roots efforts to develop kids. If you are truly interested in participation like you said, then you would realize local travel is better for more kids. One month of intense training may make you feel good about yourself, but it doesn't change the fact that when you go back home you have no where to go and you are out $3k. 

Also, a ton of running and super hard practices is tough on the body. You want to optimize your training? Don't try to pack it all in 28 days. Going through technique is not near as beneficial if your nervous system has been beaten to hell by repeated long and intense practices. More practice is not better. Better practice is better. I would rather have a kid focussed on how to train himself and drill properly than be subject to a drill sergeant type practice. IMO the development of an athletes ability to train independently is much more valuable than just repeated training.

7 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

For whatever reason, you’re just coming across as sour grapes or just want to argue about the merits of not attending one specific wrestling camp which is really head scratching. Maybe you wanted to go when you were younger and either didn’t want to or couldn’t based on the finances which is completely understandable. I just don’t know what you are trying to accomplish by denigrating others for participating in an intensive wrestling camp...

You just don't like it that I am not praising this camp. Thats not sour grapes.  I am not denigrating the campers. I am denigrating the camp itself.

8 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Most people want results from a camp, the fact that none of the top guys in the country do this, should speak to the value it provides. 3k is a lot of money for some families. I would feel bad for any family you told needs to spend 3k on this camp because they definitely don't, and there really is no evidence that anyone needs to. 

It also doesn't support any grass roots efforts to develop kids. If you are truly interested in participation like you said, then you would realize local travel is better for more kids. One month of intense training may make you feel good about yourself, but it doesn't change the fact that when you go back home you have no where to go and you are out $3k. 

Also, a ton of running and super hard practices is tough on the body. You want to optimize your training? Don't try to pack it all in 28 days. Going through technique is not near as beneficial if your nervous system has been beaten to hell by repeated long and intense practices. More practice is not better. Better practice is better. I would rather have a kid focussed on how to train himself and drill properly than be subject to a drill sergeant type practice. IMO the development of an athletes ability to train independently is much more valuable than just repeated training.

You just don't like it that I am not praising this camp. Thats not sour grapes.  I am not denigrating the campers. I am denigrating the camp itself.

You are entitled to your singular opinion just like everyone else. The only thing I take slight issue with is how in the position you take, your comments are stated like they are facts or absolutes when again, it is just the opinion of one person in one thread of one forum and so on... 

1 minute ago, DoubleHalf said:

You are entitled to your singular opinion just like everyone else. The only thing I take slight issue with is how in the position you take, your comments are stated like they are facts or absolutes when again, it is just the opinion of one person in one thread of one forum and so on... 

It's kind of how things work around here...."My opinion is it and there's really not much room for anything else."  Not speaking just about russel, but a lot around here.

One would think so Lurker...

However, in Russelscout-land apparently he is the sole decider of what experiences are and are not a good investment in the sport of wrestling....

Just saying that out loud gives me a chuckle for its sheer nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

I did say:

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

What more do you want? 

4 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

However, in Russelscout-land apparently he is the sole decider of what experiences are and are not a good investment in the sport of wrestling....

Just saying that out loud gives me a chuckle for its sheer nonsense. 

I gave respect to your individual experience, and I based my position on the observable evidence I have. Who exactly is intolerant of other position in this discussion? I am open to your experience, yet you paint me as some kind of fool in "Russelscout-land" because of the position I take. It would appear that you in fact are the one not open to other opinions.

17 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Isn't the value one gets from a camp, any camp, determined based solely on that individual, and nobody else?

It is, but we also shouldn't make decisions based on one persons experience. Shouldn't there be an analysis of the greater impact of the camp too; sort of an anecdotal vs systematic approach.