jsmalls131313

Has there ever been a team with 10 guys placing in the top 4 or 5 at NCAA's?

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

So...

1. No camp does what youre looking for so youre criticizing all camps and...

2. The price you complained about is irrelevant since number 1...

In otherwords.. your training experience is what you make of it yourself.

1. No, Im not criticizing all camps. Im saying there are diminishing returns. 28 day intensive camp is based on the idea that more camp is better. I disagree with that. 

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

1. No, Im not criticizing all camps. Im saying there are diminishing returns. 28 day intensive camp is based on the idea that more camp is better. I disagree with that. 

If no singular camp does what you want you are criticizing all camps.

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

But again, if you are, and a lot of people are, doing all those things that we are talking about the other 9-10 months of the year, it’s not limiting your variety. 

One thing I would question with you is your certain demand of exactly what this camp is and what is isn’t....having never been to it. 

9-10 months of there year on a consistent plan and then add a 28 day camp on top of it is a lot and a recipe for burnout in my opinion. 

Just now, russelscout said:

9-10 months of there year on a consistent plan and then add a 28 day camp on top of it is a lot and a recipe for burnout in my opinion. 

Just a heads up I edited while you were quoting apparently. 

7 minutes ago, russelscout said:

And see that’s the beauty of it. Everyone is different and everyone can adjust as they want/need. Maybe one kid will want to take in a few short camps/clinics this off season and not take any so many local tournaments and trainings with the same local kids. And maybe next summer he’s going to wrestle in a couple locals and train with you name it cc, take a couple weeks off, then go to JRob...and then the next summer maybe he’ll keep it pretty much in state and just drive to different tournaments....maybe try out for Fargo. 

Then you take three different kids who mix in similar type summers different years throughout HS.....?????

Edited by Lurker

So you view a camp as a supplement to training too. Great. Then I don't know what you disagree with me about then.

Uhhh yes? Who doesnt? No camp is going to suddenly make you a world level wrestler. Thats stating the obvious. You however criticized the camp for not producing such implying theres a better camp for that. When I asked which camp you couldnt answer with a specific camp. You went on a long miriade explaining a training regime. Not everyone has the time, energy, resources, or connections to do what you suggest and even then you probably still wont be a world beater.

I have to believe that the kids that partake in the 28 day intensive camp do infact learn and ton and improve. Maybe not to the levels of your liking but they certainly get their moneys worth.

$3000 for a fulltime all inclusive 28 day camp is not a bad deal, considering simple little kid 5 hour a day summer day camp with no weekends where kids have to bring their own lunches and go home everyday and can cost pretty close to this.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

And see that’s the beauty of it. Everyone is different and everyone can adjust as they want/need. Maybe one kid will want to take in a few short camps/clinics this off season and not take any so many local tournaments and trainings with the same local kids. And maybe next summer he’s going to wrestle in a couple locals and train with you name it cc, take a couple weeks off, then go to JRob...and then the next summer maybe he’ll keep it pretty much in state and just drive to different tournaments....maybe try out for Fargo. 

Then you take three different kids who mix in similar type summers different years throughout HS.....?????

I would rather encourage parents to go down a path that is more consistent and doesn't cost as much. If a kid really wants to do it? Fine, go do that. I'm not saying anyone can't do this. If a parent is asking me if this is the best way to spend their money to help little Johnny win a state title, I'm gonna say there is a better approach.

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Uhhh yes? Who doesnt? No camp is going to suddenly make you a world level wrestler. Thats stating the obvious. You however criticized the camp for not producing such implying theres a better camp for that.

No, I am implying that there is a better way to spend your time and money. I didn't say anything about a camp being equal or superior. 

4 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

When I asked which camp you couldnt answer with a specific camp. 

Because there is not a camp that is going to do it for you. You said you agree that a camp is supplemental to training. Its not the be all, end all, yet you are trying to put it in a box where I need to decide whether camps in general are the answer to success or not helpful at all. Thats not even what we are talking about. Sometime the answer lies in the middle and this is one of those cases.

8 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

When I asked which camp you couldnt answer with a specific camp. You went on a long miriade explaining a training regime. Not everyone has the time, energy, resources, or connections to do what you suggest and even then you probably still wont be a world beater.

If you have the time and resources to spend 28 days at a camp, I'm assuming you have the time and resources to spend them elsewhere. 

9 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I have to believe that the kids that partake in the 28 day intensive camp do infact learn and ton and improve. Maybe not to the levels of your liking but they certainly get their moneys worth.

I'm sure they do learn a lot. I just don't think its the best way to go about doing things and the fact that most successful wrestlers in this country choose not to go that route doesn't say anything to you?

Just now, Lurker said:

Where are you getting your data for who has and who has not attended a Jrob camp at some point in their life? That has to take a really long time to compile 

I don't have a list. I know from being around some of the best in Iowa, but also from when my buddy was an intern for Minny's strength program before it got moved to Wisconsin. None of these kids are possible recruits. it was made clear to him through the staff and the athletes. 

7 hours ago, russelscout said:

Or that putting in a ton of miles running and training to your limit is not an optimal way to train.

It is a CAMP.  Meaning short duration and high volume.  Camps like that are to teach you more about YOURSELF than wrestling.  Plus you learn leadership and teamwork in camps like that.  JROB was an ARMY RANGER so he takes that “ranger school” experience to create something CHALLENGING so you can work to get through it.  

You can pontificate about confirmation bias all you want.  But camps like that make you discover potential you never thought you had.  You can’t train like that at home because you need a group of people going through the same crap you are going through.  If you drag ass, you  drag down the group.  

you would never understand because you never had a reason to get pushed that hard, not for training, but to learn your limits and unlock potential.  

Dan Severn once said, “You can only give 100%.  Most times we give 99%.  But the times we give 100% are the times we unlocked potential we never knew we had.”  He was speaking in reference to times you beat someone that you aren’t supposed to beat or originally thought you couldn’t beat.

5 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

It is a CAMP.  Meaning short duration and high volume.  Camps like that are to teach you more about YOURSELF than wrestling.  Plus you learn leadership and teamwork in camps like that.  JROB was an ARMY RANGER so he takes that “ranger school” experience to create something CHALLENGING so you can work to get through it.  

You can pontificate about confirmation bias all you want.  But camps like that make you discover potential you never thought you had.  You can’t train like that at home because you need a group of people going through the same crap you are going through.  If you drag ass, you  drag down the group.  

you would never understand because you never had a reason to get pushed that hard, not for training, but to learn your limits and unlock potential.  

Dan Severn once said, “You can only give 100%.  Most times we give 99%.  But the times we give 100% are the times we unlocked potential we never knew we had.”  He was speaking in reference to times you beat someone that you aren’t supposed to beat or originally thought you couldn’t beat.

Once again, hard work is fetished, while smart work falls to the way side.

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

Once again, hard work is fetished, while smart work falls to the way side.

Maybe you lack the intelligence to comprehend what I said.  A camp is 2 or 3 weeks.  The goal of the camp is to learn more about yourself.  Army rangers don’t go to ranger school year round (training is 3 months if you don’t get recycled, max 5 months).  In fact, they can’t!  It is a leadership school .  Once you graduate and go to an infantry unit or ranger battalion, you train in a periodized training schedule.  You can’t be cold, wet, tired and hungry every time you go to the shooting range or go through small unit tactics drills.  

The way you come off, you must have been the scrub who would get beat in practice all the time and say, “it’s just practice.”  But wrestle the same way in competition.  

if you are so smart?  How many national titles or all American honors have you won with your “smart training method?”

To get back on topic:  Iowa had 9 guys place top 5, 3 different seasons, but never had 10 AA's.  Iowa had 9 AA's a total of 6 times.  Other times not listed '81,'91 and '95.

1.)  Minnesota(2001) had 10 AA's but had an 8th,8th and a 6th to disqualify them.

2.)  Iowa(1983) had 9 AA's place top 5, taking 1,1,1,2,4,5,3,5,1.  The only guy to not AA was Rico Chiapparelli at 167.  He won his 1st 2 matches to make the Quarters and then lost 2 in a row to drop in the R12.

3.)  Iowa(1985) had 9 AA's place top 5 again, taking 1,5,4,2,2,2,5,1,5.  The only guy to not AA was Steve Wilber(HWT).  He lost 1st round.

4.)  Iowa(1992) had 9 AA's place top 5 again, taking 1,1,3,5,5,3,5,1,2.  The only guy to not AA was Mark Reilland(167)  He would do the same as Rico and lose in the quarters and R12.

2 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

Maybe you lack the intelligence to comprehend what I said.  A camp is 2 or 3 weeks.  The goal of the camp is to learn more about yourself.  Army rangers don’t go to ranger school year round (training is 3 months if you don’t get recycled, max 5 months).  In fact, they can’t!  It is a leadership school .  Once you graduate and go to an infantry unit or ranger battalion, you train in a periodized training schedule.  You can’t be cold, wet, tired and hungry every time you go to the shooting range or go through small unit tactics drills.  

I dont think you need Ranger training to be a successful wrestler. If that makes me stupid than I cant be the only one.

3 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

The way you come off, you must have been the scrub who would get beat in practice all the time and say, “it’s just practice.”  But wrestle the same way in competition.

Sure dude. Bc I disagree with you, I must be a scrub. You must be an impressive individual.

10 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

if you are so smart?  How many national titles or all American honors have you won with your “smart training method?”

Irrelevant. I have plenty of experience in the sport and can form an opinion whether I never won a match or was a world champ. I tell you what, if you get Jordan Burroughs or John Smith to say kids need ranger training, then I will be all ears.

I dont think you need Ranger training to be a successful wrestler. If that makes me stupid than I cant be the only one.

Sure dude. Bc I disagree with you, I must be a scrub. You must be an impressive individual.

The JROB camp is not ranger training.  The campers aren’t rationed one meal per day and get ample sleep.  

You fail to understand that the goal of camps like that are to learn more about yourself.  You argued you can do all that training at home, I said you can’t.  The goal of the camp is to see how well you can perform when you are broken tired and want to quit.  At home it is easy to quit...you can go home.  You don’t have other people seeing you quit.  

You aren’t disagreeing or offering any counter point in an intellectual discussion.  You are just hanging on an opinion based on ignorance. You have no idea what you are talking about.  

Irrelevant. I have plenty of experience in the sport and can form an opinion whether I never won a match or was a world champ. I tell you what, if you get Jordan Burroughs or John Smith to say kids need ranger training, then I will be all ears.

Guess you never heard about Dan Gable and his red flag practices.  

Dan Gable trained his wrestlers all season like JROB rubs his camps. If I recall, he was a pretty good coach and won a few matches as a coach and competitor.

No, I am implying that there is a better way to spend your time and money. I didn't say anything about a camp being equal or superior. 

Because there is not a camp that is going to do it for you. You said you agree that a camp is supplemental to training. Its not the be all, end all, yet you are trying to put it in a box where I need to decide whether camps in general are the answer to success or not helpful at all. Thats not even what we are talking about. Sometime the answer lies in the middle and this is one of those cases.

If you have the time and resources to spend 28 days at a camp, I'm assuming you have the time and resources to spend them elsewhere. 

I'm sure they do learn a lot. I just don't think its the best way to go about doing things and the fact that most successful wrestlers in this country choose not to go that route doesn't say anything to you?

1. You criticized the camp for its price and cost. Are there better ways to do things when you create your own plan, sure! But we're talking about a camp that exists to serve a large number of wrestlers

2. Agreed theres not a camp thats going to do that for you. The camp doesnt make the claim it does though. 

3. Its a lot easier to travel to and particpiate in a single 28 day camp than it is to travel to 4,5,6+ training opportunities that you have to research and find on your own.

4. Ofcourse there are better ways. Almost anything you do/plan yourself can produce better results.

These camps are great for kids that want to jump levels from being good at a local level to breaking into the regional/state level. Is it going to suddenly make someone a national champ? No way. But most individualized training programs arent going to do that either.

1 minute ago, Cptafw164 said:

You fail to understand that the goal of camps like that are to learn more about yourself.  You argued you can do all that training at home, I said you can’t.  The goal of the camp is to see how well you can perform when you are broken tired and want to quit.  At home it is easy to quit...you can go home.  You don’t have other people seeing you quit.  

And Im saying a camp like this is not necessary. Plenty of really tough kids make it in wrestling without it.

2 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

You aren’t disagreeing or offering any counter point in an intellectual discussion.  You are just hanging on an opinion based on ignorance. You have no idea what you are talking about.  

No because I already laid out my arguement. You are the one offering a counter opinion. To those I did leave a response, which led you to question my intelligence instead of actually adding anything.