jsmalls131313

Has there ever been a team with 10 guys placing in the top 4 or 5 at NCAA's?

30 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I don't have a list. I know from being around some of the best in Iowa, but also from when my buddy was an intern for Minny's strength program before it got moved to Wisconsin. None of these kids are possible recruits. it was made clear to him through the staff and the athletes. 

So you’re making such a strong statement about the camp without having ever been, and about successful wrestlers not going that route without researching who may or may not have attended that camp over the years. 

Just to help you a little, in 30 seconds of just looking at one of their social media accounts I saw photos of former campers (not counselors, campers) Stephen Neal, Macey Kilty, Matt McDonough. I wonder what I would learn if I actually wanted to take some time and research the topic. 

1 minute ago, Cptafw164 said:

Guess you never heard about Dan Gable and his red flag practices.  

Dan Gable trained his wrestlers all season like JROB rubs his camps. If I recall, he was a pretty good coach and won a few matches as a coach and competitor.

He also knew the season required changes in intensity. Im not against hard work at all. It doesnt require 28 days.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So you’re making such a strong statement about the camp without having ever been, and about successful wrestlers not going that route without researching who may or may not have attended that camp over the years. 

Just to help you a little, in 30 seconds of just looking at one of their social media accounts I saw photos of former campers (not counselors, campers) Stephen Neal, Macey Kilty, Matt McDonough. I wonder what I would learn if I actually wanted to take some time and research the topic. 

Ok, thats 3. How many made it fine without it? 

Edited by russelscout

6 hours ago, russelscout said:

It also doesn't support any grass roots efforts to develop kids. If you are truly interested in participation like you said, then you would realize local travel is better for more kids. One month of intense training may make you feel good about yourself, but it doesn't change the fact that when you go back home you have no where to go and you are out $3k. 

I would disagree.

when i go home i would have an idea of how i need to train... i found out what really hard work is.

I never went. wasn't going to spend the money like you... but I agree with the other poster... this camp can be very valuable for kids whether they become great wrestlers or not.

I know of six guys who went only 3 really benefitted... or showed that the camp inspired them..

but there is no harm in finding out what you are made of and where you can push yourself

1 minute ago, GockeS said:

I would disagree.

when i go home i would have an idea of how i need to train... i found out what really hard work is.

I never went. wasn't going to spend the money like you... but I agree with the other poster... this camp can be very valuable for kids whether they become great wrestlers or not.

I know of six guys who went only 3 really benefitted... or showed that the camp inspired them..

but there is no harm in finding out what you are made of and where you can push yourself

Some kids it may be beneficial. Its not the best way to optimize your training. Ive said it many times.

11 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Ok, thats 3. How many made it fine without it? JO whooped up on Mcdonough in high school. Did he go to that camp? Because mcD wasnt the stud he would become until he got to college.

Correct. Like I said,3 in 30 seconds. Imagine what one may find if they actually wanted to research the topic before making such strong statements. 

As for JO whipping McD in HS. Is that the standard now. So and so who went to camp lost to who didn’t go to that camp...

This is the point in a typical russell chat where he is fully and firmly dug in with both feet and will not budge.  Not other point will be considered and will be argued no matter what is presented. And the part where I, as he puts it, bow out and run home. 

Edited by Lurker

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Some kids it may be beneficial. Its not the best way to optimize your training. Ive said it many times.

why not? optimizing is finding the best place right...

you see this extreme... you see the laziness at home... now you know how to optimize...

9 hours ago, DoubleHalf said:

Fun personal fact- I went to the J Robinson 28 Day camp the summer following that run when all these guys were camp counselors. I remember Volkmann putting our running group through absolute hell one morning...

DoubleHalf.  I have respect for you and I tip my hat as the 28 day camp is no easy feat.  I used to work Jrobs camps in the summer and they helped me immeasurably in so many ways.  I also think many kids who go to this camp aren't the top recruits but they are the kids who want to be better.  I admire and appreciate that in a kid more than the talent level.  

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Correct. Like I said,3 in 30 seconds. Imagine what one may find if they actually wanted to research the topic before making such strong statements. 

As for JO whipping McD in HS. Is that the standard now. So and so who went to camp lost to who didn’t go to that camp...

This is the point in a typical russell chat where he is fully and firmly dug in with both feet and will not budge.  Not other point will be considered and will be argued no matter what is presented. And the part where I, as he puts it, bow out and run home. 

Do you think Mcd could have been a champ without Jrob camp?

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This is yhe point in the day where I typically am doing something else so cant give long winded answers

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

This is yhe point in the day where I typically am doing something else so cant give long winded answers

Bwwwaahhaha. You only have time for a whole bunch of short ones. 

This may be the best Russel post ever!  

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not other point will be considered and will be argued no matter what is presented. And the part where I, as he puts it, bow out and run home. 

Have you considered bowing out and setting the 'ignore' user option?  Instantly better forum experience.

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

This probably isnt the right place to ask this, but does anyone know if there has ever been a team with 10 guys placing in the top 4 or 5 at NCAA's?

To get back on topic:  Iowa had 9 guys place top 5, 3 different seasons, but never had 10 AA's.  Iowa had 9 AA's a total of 6 times.  Other times not listed '81,'91 and '95.

1.)  Minnesota(2001) had 10 AA's but had an 8th,8th and a 6th to disqualify them.

2.)  Iowa(1983) had 9 AA's place top 5, taking 1,1,1,2,4,5,3,5,1.  The only guy to not AA was Rico Chiapparelli at 167.  He won his 1st 2 matches to make the Quarters and then lost 2 in a row to drop in the R12.

3.)  Iowa(1985) had 9 AA's place top 5 again, taking 1,5,4,2,2,2,5,1,5.  The only guy to not AA was Steve Wilber(HWT).  He lost 1st round.

4.)  Iowa(1992) had 9 AA's place top 5 again, taking 1,1,3,5,5,3,5,1,2.  The only guy to not AA was Mark Reilland(167)  He would do the same as Rico and lose in the quarters and R12.

23 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

This probably isnt the right place to ask this, but does anyone know if there has ever been a team with 10 guys placing in the top 4 or 5 at NCAA's?

Oh that was answered pages ago!