jsmalls131313

Has there ever been a team with 10 guys placing in the top 4 or 5 at NCAA's?

10 hours ago, russelscout said:

I never understood why kids pay go to a camp just to get destroyed with a ton of running and some wrestling. You can do that crap at home.

I always thought it would have benefited me to go to wrestling camp but my folks couldn't afford to send me. Think it would've been good to meet other good wrestlers, kick their butts, lol.

1965, ISU had nine AAs that went 1-1-3-3-3-3-3-4-5 and won 87-86 over Oklahoma State, greatest comeback ever. 190 lbr. scored one adv point, but no place. 

As for JRob's camps, they had mostly macho appeal. The motto of the camp is " I Survived JRob's Intensive Camp!" I'd like to know how many kids went back again... or was once enough.

I was fortunate enough to attend one of Mr. DF's Passive-Aggressive Camps back in the late 90's.  It was an awesome and life-changing experience.  Each participant received a poster of Jadidi personally signed by the great Iranian himself.  I had mine professionally framed and it now hangs proudly above the fireplace in the living room.  (Wife hates it - which is another plus!)

8 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

I was fortunate enough to attend one of Mr. DF's Passive-Aggressive Camps back in the late 90's.  It was an awesome and life-changing experience.  Each participant received a poster of Jadidi personally signed by the great Iranian himself.  I had mine professionally framed and it now hangs proudly above the fireplace in the living room.  (Wife hates it - which is another plus!)

Yes, but could you have optimized your passive aggressiveness elsewhere?

Damn, can’t believe this thread is still going! My fault for giving the personal anecdote to all that got sucked into this, I sincerely didn’t mean to start anything. I’m really surprised to see how polarizing a wrestling camp has become...

20 minutes ago, DoubleHalf said:

Damn, can’t believe this thread is still going! My fault for giving the personal anecdote to all that got sucked into this, I sincerely didn’t mean to start anything. I’m really surprised to see how polarizing a wrestling camp has become...

You ARE new here! Truth is, if we were allowed to talk about Z**** V******* and D**** F**, this would have never happened.

Edited by russelscout

On 2/21/2020 at 1:56 PM, BigTenFanboy said:

3000 for all inclusive 28 days. That means meals, lodging and instruction/activities revolving around wrestling, plus the opportunity to make friendships and connections with other wrestlers. Comes out to about $108 per day. Plus it gets the kids out of the house and gives the parents a break from having to watch over their own kids. Maybe the tangible results are not enough for russel, but how much money do you think non wrestling parents spend to send their kids away to recreational summer camps?

Seriously.  Daycare is $1000+ for 8-9 hours 5 days a week and you have to pack a lunch.  $3k to keep my kid for a month?  Sign me up lol.   

I would say the best thing these camps might do would be to help prepare kids for life in college.  I would imagine many of them had never been away from their families for more than a week or two if that.  I never went to a camp longer than a week but I’d say that’s what I took away from most of them as well as a couple new acquaintances.   Went to the Navy camp and one of my roommates almost died because we were messing around with a piece of furniture.  Learned not to do that again...

Shortly after J left for Minny, I took my team to the intensive camp.  It was when the Brands and Steiners and Alger were running it.  I was dumb enough to wear an OSU shirt to the registration.  They put me in a dorm room above the boiler room.  150 degrees.  I slept on the grass for 2 weeks.  We made a big move the next season, but we were broken down pretty hard by the end of a long season...The next year we went to back to back weeks of their technique camp and had less improvement, but enjoyed the grind better at the end of season.  I was blessed to have 9 guys that would do that after freestyle and pre-season and regular season...