shieldofpistis

Double Standard

I think there is a double standard applied to certain guys, but then other wrestlers who are fan favorites get the benefit of the doubt. 

Now, first, I am biased. I am a Buckeye fan.  Yes, I do bet against them sometimes when I think they are going to lose.  But in the end, I still root for them even when I bet against them because I never bet that much.  

Here is where the double standard I see on this site applied.  Certain posters don't consider Logan Stieber a 4 timer.  Because of his controversial win against JO and Ramos.  Logan was clearly better than Ramos.  I don't think there is a case to argue against that.  But against JO those late takedown attempts did not count for JO.  Were they takedowns?  Most people think so.  The rules keep on changing, so I am not sure about the takedown rules in 2012.  I didn't really follow the sport then.  But just because Logan got the benefit of the doubt in the last 30 seconds, you want to take his 4 time status away? 

See, to me that's a double standard.  McKenna outwrestled Yianni.  I think there was an obvious takedown Mckenna didn't get credit for.  But I don't hear anyone claiming that Yianni should only be a one time champion. 

No one is gifted a NCAA championship, but Mark Hall was the closest to gifted one as I ever saw.  If it weren't for bad calls, he never would have defeated Valencia.  Then if it weren't for bad calls, he wouldn't have defeated Bo Jordan in the finals.  Two matches of bad calls.  But I don't hear people question his title. 

Yet, why do people just want to take away Logan's first title? Even his second, which I consider really ignorant because he was much better than Ramos in every position and wold have won that match either way. 

The call vs Valencia was a completely correct call. Zahid got his head gear as plain as day AND his getting the head gear is what caused the leverage to get the TD . Whether intended or not, that is a 1 pt infraction and the correct call was made.  

2 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I think there is a double standard applied to certain guys, but then other wrestlers who are fan favorites get the benefit of the doubt. 

Now, first, I am biased. I am a Buckeye fan.  Yes, I do bet against them sometimes when I think they are going to lose.  But in the end, I still root for them even when I bet against them because I never bet that much.  

Here is where the double standard I see on this site applied.  Certain posters don't consider Logan Stieber a 4 timer.  Because of his controversial win against JO and Ramos.  Logan was clearly better than Ramos.  I don't think there is a case to argue against that.  But against JO those late takedown attempts did not count for JO.  Were they takedowns?  Most people think so.  The rules keep on changing, so I am not sure about the takedown rules in 2012.  I didn't really follow the sport then.  But just because Logan got the benefit of the doubt in the last 30 seconds, you want to take his 4 time status away? 

See, to me that's a double standard.  McKenna outwrestled Yianni.  I think there was an obvious takedown Mckenna didn't get credit for.  But I don't hear anyone claiming that Yianni should only be a one time champion. 

No one is gifted a NCAA championship, but Mark Hall was the closest to gifted one as I ever saw.  If it weren't for bad calls, he never would have defeated Valencia.  Then if it weren't for bad calls, he wouldn't have defeated Bo Jordan in the finals.  Two matches of bad calls.  But I don't hear people question his title. 

Yet, why do people just want to take away Logan's first title? Even his second, which I consider really ignorant because he was much better than Ramos in every position and wold have won that match either way. 

Well done on the correct grammar;  99 % use an.

8 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

It just seems that people fall in love with Yianni --- but I think he got much more ref help than Logan did.  Yet people don't consider him controversial. 

Yes, it is remarkable that there have never been any threads on Yianni.

I wasn't debating the headgear.  It's been a while.  I wasn't trying to put Mark Hall under the bus. I was just saying we shouldn't put Logan under the bus.  In 4 NCAA tournament championships, there will be some ref help much of the time.  I think Nolf was one of the greatest of the decade, even better than Logan, but I think Hidley had him beat but the refs favored Nolf last year.  It was very sad.  It seemed that Hidlay trained specifically for Nolf and he had the right game plan. 

TBARR- how old are you?

2 hours ago, boconnell said:

Who on this site says Logan isn't a 4Xer?

This is a pathetic attempt to tear down a non-existent strawman argument.  Logan is a 4X champ.  End of story.  Nobody debates whether he won or not.

I wish it was a strawman.  Before I started posting- when I was  just a lurker- this topic would come up now and again.  I think when Logan retired there were several who only considered him a 2 timer that that is what am responding do.  I am not trying to tear Mark Hall or Yianni down.  I think Logan should be recongized as 4 timer though. 

Just ask the people on the site.  There are some who don't think he should be considered a 4 timer because they think he lost to JO. 

59 minutes ago, klehner said:

Yes, it is remarkable that there have never been any threads on Yianni.

Yes, there have been threads on Yianni- but I do not recall any threads discussing whether McKenna should have been awarded the take town at the end of the third period.  Most the Yianni threads are on how awesome he is, how great he was at Beat the Streets, and his rivalry with Zain.  

Yianni has controversey with Zain.  But not McKenna.  And I am not trying to rehash that here.  I am defending Logan. 

Klehner, I have been a lurker on this site for 2 years.  I finally decided to join so I guess I have 2 years worth of issues that I post about.  That's why there are some things out of the blue.  

13 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I wish it was a strawman.  Before I started posting- when I was  just a lurker- this topic would come up now and again.  I think when Logan retired there were several who only considered him a 2 timer that that is what am responding do.  I am not trying to tear Mark Hall or Yianni down.  I think Logan should be recongized as 4 timer though. 

Just ask the people on the site.  There are some who don't think he should be considered a 4 timer because they think he lost to JO. 

There is nobody who thinks he's a 2 time champ.  Many people think the match should have been scored differently (like a million other matches).  Zero people think he's not a 4X champ.

You had a soapbox and you created a fake argument to make the climb onto your soapbox easier.  

15 hours ago, VakAttack said:

https://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2012/04/using-a-or-an-with-acronyms-and-abbreviations.html

ACTUALLY there is some debate on the matter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sad to see this here. As anything necessary is not too complicated to find out and to write correctly. But this link will help all of the people, I hope.

6 minutes ago, ChicagoHawk said:

A new Cinnabon persona.  ???  My 19th post.  I didn’t watch back when Logan competed.   Complaining about psu.   Joined theMat like 15 days ago ?

Chicago, what do you make speculations like it's nothing?  

If you would pay attention to this site you would see that I probably have gone after Jimmy C more than anyone.  But of course I wouldn't expect you to actually research.