Jump to content
shieldofpistis

Loser of Snyder vs. Cox

Recommended Posts

Is it possible for the loser of Snyder vs Cox to try out for the heavyweight spot? I understand they may not place at heavyweight, but still it would be better to go to the olympics at heavyweight than not go at all.  Or will the two weight classes be at the same time so the loser won't have time to enter the heavyweight trials?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Is it possible for the loser of Snyder vs Cox to try out for the heavyweight spot? I understand they may not place at heavyweight, but still it would be better to go to the olympics at heavyweight than not go at all.  Or will the two weight classes be at the same time so the loser won't have time to enter the heavyweight trials?

No shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shieldofpistis said:

Because of timing of tournaments or because you don't think Snyder or Cox could defeat Stevenson or Gwix?

They qualify at the same tournament at the same time. The loser won’t be granted a special wrestle off for another spot on the team. If either want to go heavyweight they can do so when they register. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the only way would be to wrestle both tournaments at the same time?  Does Snyder need to wrestle the tournament because he is the defending champion at the trials?  He should have minimal matches right? So what if he entered the heavyweight just in case, but also defended the light heavyweight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He doesn’t need to wrestle Saturday at 97kg but he’ll need to wrestle the winner of the challenge tournament on Sunday. At the same time the heavyweight will take place, so I don’t know if it’s actually aloud but theoretically he would wrestle the challenge at heavyweight on Saturday win that and then potentially wrestle 6 matches against people like Cox and Gwiz or Gable. Not feasible in my mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's crazy how people think Snyder or Cox or anyone else whos not a heavy for that matter can just step right up and seriously contend with the best in the world or even the US for that matter. Snyder is getting pinned by guys his size for crying out loud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BTC said:

It's crazy how people think Snyder or Cox or anyone else whos not a heavy for that matter can just step right up and seriously contend with the best in the world or even the US for that matter. Snyder is getting pinned by guys his size for crying out loud.

It is more crazy to think that he couldn't compete. Especially on the domestic level.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

It is more crazy to think that he couldn't compete. Especially on the domestic level.

 

Imo he cant, at least not be a legit contender for the spot. Sure he could beat some of the lower tier guys and could keep it to a decision against the top guys like Steveson, Bradley and gwiz but these guys are no joke and weight classes are there for a reason. Yes I know he beat gwiz in college but that was what 3 years ago. Also snyder seems to be on the decline in his career. Crazy to say that as he's only 24. Idk if you've seen the videos of his matches with akgul a couple years ago but he was getting worked, hanging in there but it was domination for the most part by akgul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BTC said:

It's crazy how people think Snyder or Cox or anyone else whos not a heavy for that matter can just step right up and seriously contend with the best in the world or even the US for that matter. Snyder is getting pinned by guys his size for crying out loud.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but how many times in Snyderman's senior international career has he been pinned and when did those take place? I believe I know the answer, but I admit I may be missing something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BTC said:

Imo he cant, at least not be a legit contender for the spot. Sure he could beat some of the lower tier guys and could keep it to a decision against the top guys like Steveson, Bradley and gwiz but these guys are no joke and weight classes are there for a reason. Yes I know he beat gwiz in college but that was what 3 years ago. Also snyder seems to be on the decline in his career. Crazy to say that as he's only 24. Idk if you've seen the videos of his matches with akgul a couple years ago but he was getting worked, hanging in there but it was domination for the most part by akgul.

Have you seen what Akgul does to Gwiz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure Snyder beat Gwiz the last time they wrestled and he has been our rep and won a couple of worlds medals. Snyder could compete at 125 but I don’t see him beating the top heavyweights in the world. He’d be about on par with anyone else we would send... needs a good draw to hope for a bronze. 
 

That said, no they aren’t going to grant a special wrestle off for it. And I would be more concerned about the loser of Dake and Burroughs not getting in. If Dake loses to JB but is 7-0 vs Taylor, why not let him bump up and beat Taylor once again :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tofurky said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but how many times in Snyderman's senior international career has he been pinned and when did those take place? I believe I know the answer, but I admit I may be missing something.

Once by Sadulaev pretty quickly. Less than 1:30 into the match or something crazy like that. Pinned by the Iranian at the Matteo Pelicon tourney about a month back. My whole thing is if hes getting pinned by guys in his weight class. It would be pretty damn reasonable to think the same thing can happen against guys bigger, stronger and just as athletic as he is. At least that's my take on it.

 

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If Cassar can beat Steveson in folk (twice), I don’t think it’s that crazy to think Snyder could beat him in freestyle

I think he would have real problems against Steveson and other top guys.

Edited by BTC
Bad with words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snyder would crush Steveson because Snyder believes in a couple little things called “cardio” and “wrestling hard all 6 minutes”

Snyder would probably be our 125 rep if he chose to bump up, and would be in a medal match. He is that good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m of the opinion Snyder wouldn’t be top 3 domestically at HW, unless he had time to put on weight. His last match with Gwiz is meaningless.We all know Gwiz has improved considerably from that time.
If we’re to put stock into that match , then maybe we should put even more stock into his extremely close and competitive matches against Coon, a guy who was outclassed last time he faced Gable and beaten convincingly last time he faced Gwiz. I’d take Gable, Gwiz and possibly Bradley or Parris over Snyder at HW. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top wrestlers in the 213 class Tend to be very competitive with the top heavy weights. See: The year gatsalov didn’t make the Russian team at 213 then won worlds at heavyweight, Cormier bumped up and beat Mocco, etc.

Edited by Cradle1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Have you seen what Akgul does to Gwiz?

Yeah, that is not a good knock against Snyder. Akgul has and will continue to destroy every American heavy until he gets too old. And he's not there yet.

I'm of the belief that Snyder would be in contention for the spot, though I would not pick him to win it. Hell, it probably walks around at about 230 when not cutting, so adding any weight would probably only hinder him. That said, heavy is not the best place for him and he wouldn't medal without the right draw. But that is true of all of our heavies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

If Cassar can beat Steveson in folk (twice), I don’t think it’s that crazy to think Snyder could beat him in freestyle

Agreed.  I think it would be a competitive match, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

How do you think Snyder would do at Trials at 125?

he might make the national team and get his stipend from USAW... might... and that is purely based on a potential parris match up...

steveson is an absolute stylistic nightmare for snyder... plus he is way bigger and more athletic than snyder...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...