2020 Bracket Busters

141 - woods

149 - pick from about 16 guys

157 - Kinner

165 - Ethan Smith

184 - pick from about 12 guys

197 - traxler

Hwt - Gas Tank Gary

Woods will probably be the three seed but could win it all, not just busting a bracket, per se

Edited by treep2000

3 minutes ago, portajohn said:

At this point in the season wondering your guys thoughts on projected lower seeds at NCAA's that could bust up a bracket.  I'm thinking Ridge Lovett could do some damage come March

Agreed on Lovett. Schwarm at 25. He has been pinning everyone. Witcraft at 33. Grant Willits at 41, Verk at 149, Berge 157, Wittlake at 165, Anthony Valencia at 174, WADA at 184, Bulsak 197, Gas Tank at 285

Assuming anyone 10 seed or higher (numerically) is a buster, I’ll go with some homer picks:

Markus Hartman, Army-  too dangerous on top and bottom to be overlooked.   Awkward scramble style too.  Reminiscent of Phillip Simpson in their ability to pin anyone.  

Cael McCormick, Army:  pinned the 9 seed last year.  Lost 4-1 to Lewis in the quarters, making McCormick the closest match Lewis had in the tournament.  No bad losses on the year.  

Brian Harvey, Army:  last two outings as a NQ, he made R12.  He will probably be seeded no higher than 15.  After last years upset of McFadden, nobody wants to get him in the pre-quarterfinal or quarterfinal rounds.  

Ben Sullivan / Bobby Heald:  no bad losses (all ranked).  More likely to do damage in the 1st round or quarters than AA.  

McCormick and Harvey have a type of “match up” x-factor where they can upset half of the top 10, but the other half are extremely bad match- either match up very well or very badly with other elite competition.  Hartman is just dangerous.  Coach ward said, “he was extremely raw when he came here.  I have to teach him how to wrestle every day.”  Not something you hear regarding a #2 ranked wrestler out of HS (152) who beat will Lewan (cadet world champ) for a state title.  

More EIWA guys:  

Sage Heller, Hofstra:  extremely under the radar.  He has maybe one or two unranked losses and a few ranked wins.

Zachary Knighton-Ward, Hofstra:  Sure, all heavies have close losses, but he has potential for one upset at Nats.

Yari slauvikoski, Harvard:  maybe he will be seeded higher than 10, but he has AA upset potential, not just damage potential.  

Phillip Conigliaro, Harvard:  He May have been handled by Marinelli, but Conigliaro is not a good match-up to most.  Perspective, while Shane Griffith can keep it close with Marinelli and Cenzo, Conigliaro most likely can’t.  However, conigliaro can upset Griffith and guys like McFadden and Wick (who can also beat Marinelli and cenzo).  

11 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

Markus Hartman, Army-  too dangerous on top and bottom to be overlooked.   Awkward scramble style too.  Reminiscent of Phillip Simpson in their ability to pin anyone.

Agree, Hartman has the goods to make a run 

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

141 - woods

149 - pick from about 16 guys

157 - Kinner

165 - Ethan Smith

184 - pick from about 12 guys

197 - traxler

Hwt - Gas Tank Gary

Woods will probably be the three seed but could win it all, not just busting a bracket, per se

Lol if Ohio State has 3 bracket busters come March like you just suggested to go along with their Big 3 wrestling up to expectations.. they would be contending for a top 2 spot.

Nice in theory, never gonna happen though.

1 hour ago, Creek chub said:

VT true freshman andonian. He’s a late add to the starter role but gaining confidence each match and has a high ceiling. Probably a R12 guy but maybe higher with some pins along the way

Agreed. He could place with the right draw if he is ready to roll. 

Potentiall Tariq Wilson, but who knows. I think he low AA's this year but if he catches fire he obviously could snag a top 4 placement. 

Bryce Andonian is also going to AA I think. Or, he will at least knock off a few bigger name guys and make a deep run at NCAAs. One could argue that because of the depth of the field it wouldnt be a surprise but I have to disagree. When you talk about title contention at the weight you really do kind of narrow it down to about 8 guys. As such, you narrow AA contention to those 8 as well, with maybe a few from 8 to 14. Andonian is currently unranked. 

At 133, Allan Hart from Mizzou has the dominant top game to run up the score quickly against a higher seed and bust a bracket.

At 174, Connor Flynn is a senior and I could see him  pull an upset.  He beat Mekhi Lewis last year.

At 184, Dylan Wisman just gave Valencia his toughest match of the year and is a senior.  I could see him upsetting a high seed.

At 197, Wyatt Koelling just beat Norfleet, who someone predicted would finish top 4, so he can be a tough out as well.

1 minute ago, tigerfan said:

At 133, Allan Hart from Mizzou has the dominant top game to run up the score quickly against a higher seed and bust a bracket.

At 174, Connor Flynn is a senior and I could see him  pull an upset.  He beat Mekhi Lewis last year.

At 184, Dylan Wisman just gave Valencia his toughest match of the year and is a senior.  I could see him upsetting a high seed.

At 197, Wyatt Koelling just beat Norfleet, who someone predicted would finish top 4, so he can be a tough out as well.

I’m going to go way out on a limb here and take a guess that you’re a Missouri fan lol. 

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

157 Eric Barone

197 - Tanner Sloan, Jake Seely

285 - Gas Tank, Luke Luffman, Nevills, Hokit (Could be the random crowd favorite in the finals)

165 - Joe Smith

Joe Smith is at 174...Wittlake is at 165