Marcus Cisero

#1 Spencer Lee vs. #4 Nick Piccininni

Spencer seems to be on another level but he had nothing in the 3rd period vs. an average kid at Michigan. We all know his pace slows considerably as the match wears on. Lee owns three collegiate victories over Piccininni: one by fall, one by seven points, and one by five points. In the past two seasons, Lee has sent Piccininni to the back side of the bracket in both NCAA Tournaments; however, Picc did catch Lee in a cradle during a duel last year sending him to his back for the pin.

Nick got him once already, can he do it again on Sunday?

Not an Iowa at all but Lee is gonna win convincingly. Lee is a machine, especially in the first two periods. Pic. did catch him so he has the skills to pull the upset. I would be surprised if Pic makes the podium this year. He seems to have peaked a year or two ago with younger talent closing the gap. True VT freshman latona gave him all he could handle and got the benefit of a non TD call that would have sent the match into SV

1 minute ago, Creek chub said:

Not an Iowa at all but Lee is gonna win convincingly. Lee is a machine, especially in the first two periods. Pic. did catch him so he has the skills to pull the upset. I would be surprised if Pic makes the podium this year. He seems to have peaked a year or two ago with younger talent closing the gap. True VT freshman latona gave him all he could handle and got the benefit of a non TD call that would have sent the match into SV

Picc is 23-1 going into this match.  If he takes Lee into the 3rd round, anything is possible - but I do feel Lee wins in the end.

1 hour ago, Creek chub said:

Surprised if Picc makes the podium this year?  He will make the podium, barring injury.  That is just crazy talk.

The match I would love to see in the semis or finals is Lee vs Glory. Glory is 19-0 on the year with a bonus rate right at 75%. He handled Picc back in December and it seems like he’s jumped levels. Now if he gets Spencer to the 3rd period and keeps coming strong, that’s a guy that could work a turn and bring some fireworks. 

But the smart money is still on Spencer. Last year I doubted Spencer after he took a few losses and I promised myself I’d never do that again. He’s the king of March until he gets dethroned. 

In the pin by cradle match, Picc caught Lee in a bad position at the edge of the mat.  In an earlier match, Picc locked Lee in a cradle twice and could not turn him.  Lee wins by MD over Picc.

Picc didn't catch lee, he hit a shot and knew exactly what he was going to try doing to defend it and was ready to cradle him up. Lee didn't  "get caught", he just got decked. It happens, don't make excuses for him or diminish what picc did. I'll still take lee in the upcoming match though.

30 minutes ago, Perry said:

Picc didn't catch lee, he hit a shot and knew exactly what he was going to try doing to defend it and was ready to cradle him up. Lee didn't  "get caught", he just got decked. It happens, don't make excuses for him or diminish what picc did. I'll still take lee in the upcoming match though.

I agree Perry, I should have been more clear. As you say, he got "decked." Love that term!

5 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Is there a chance Lee doesn't wrestle?  It's not like they need him to win the dual.... this place would be fun Monday after if so.  

I certainly think there is a chance Lee and some other starters do not wrestle.  

1 hour ago, Perry said:

Course he won't cradle Lee in this meet, it's a PD move in Carver.  ;)

Edited by ionel

While they don't need Spencer to win, there's also a chance the they shut out OSU, which would be a once-in-a lifetime achievement.  They said on FRL they haven't been able to find a case where OSU has been shut out before. 

Edited by Gantry

5 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Surprised if Picc makes the podium this year?  He will make the podium, barring injury.  That is just crazy talk.

Crazy talk? Possibly and I realize it goes against conventional wisdom to pick against a returning AA. However, 125 is a weight where young guys seem to displace returning AA guys. It’s one of my favorite weight classes to watch. Let’s check back in March to see how crazy my talk really is...

10 minutes ago, Creek chub said:

Crazy talk? Possibly and I realize it goes against conventional wisdom to pick against a returning AA. However, 125 is a weight where young guys seem to displace returning AA guys. It’s one of my favorite weight classes to watch. Let’s check back in March to see how crazy my talk really is...

Listen, yes it is possible that Nick doesn't place but to state you'd be surprised if he did make the podium is utter nonsense.  This is not just any AA we are speaking of.  This is a 2X AA both times top 5, and the other year he would end up R12 losing to 2X champ Lee and runner up Lizak.  He is 23-1 this year with his only loss to undefeated Glory.  He has a win over Spencer Lee in the past.  To be surprised if he is an AA is absolutely crazy talk.  

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

Listen, yes it is possible that Nick doesn't place but to state you'd be surprised if he did make the podium is utter nonsense.  This is not just any AA we are speaking of.  This is a 2X AA both times top 5, and the other year he would end up R12 losing to 2X champ Lee and runner up Lizak.  He is 23-1 this year with his only loss to undefeated Glory.  He has a win over Spencer Lee in the past.  To be surprised if he is an AA is absolutely crazy talk.  

Okay

So in a way it is kind of crazy talk because Leroy Vega looked to be a pretty solid top 3 guy his senior year and, man......that snit was crazy. 

As if to say it may be crazy talk, but it very well can happen. And most of us would be like daaaaaaamn that was craaaaaaazy!

54 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So in a way it is kind of crazy talk because Leroy Vega looked to be a pretty solid top 3 guy his senior year and, man......that snit was crazy. 

As if to say it may be crazy talk, but it very well can happen. And most of us would be like daaaaaaamn that was craaaaaaazy!

My man Joey dance hit the ncaa tourney his sophomore and junior years highly ranked with just a couple losses each year and got bounced after getting 4th his true freshman year. That was crazy! So yeah, it happens