Sign in to follow this  
aknipp

6 AAs from 1 conference at the same weight

Yes, just like the guys who go 0-3 and still get to make it, right? Or, better yet, how about the guys who can default their way to the tournament?

Yes, the power conferences are bad asses, indeed!

They earned their spot throughout the season. It's no longer a one day qualifier, in reality.

Side B of the broken record: then eliminate the conference tournament if they "earned it" even before the tournament. save the money and resources and just send them to the big dance.

I'm sure the big ten conference tourney makes money. I doubt the others do. Perhaps because its a superior product?

Maybe, but I also know of only one other conference who is given such a laughable number of qualifying spots to where you have to have wrestle offs of the biggest losers, or you can literally default your way to the big dance.

Yep, those conference tournaments are critical and a dignifying picture of our sport.

Maybe I've missed it, what is the system Ban wants?

In general the new system has helped the smaller conferences right?

I don't understand the issue with trying to make a system that has been in place for a really long time better while respecting history as a bad thing. The Big 10, Big 8/12 and EIWA have all been around longer than the NCAA. Just getting rid of them as having a place in this process is a huge change. Winning your conference is a big deal. It should not be the be all end of all of going to Nationals though.

It's like the US bragging to the world about how many more McDonalds we got.

It's kinda like calling the Superbowl winner the "World Champion".

That's right. It's like if you walk into a chocolate factory and ask for a chocolate, and they hand you a case of them.

Maybe, but I also know of only one other conference who is given such a laughable number of qualifying spots to where you have to have wrestle offs of the biggest losers, or you can literally default your way to the big dance.

Yep, those conference tournaments are critical and a dignifying picture of our sport.

They are not given, they are earned.

Well, I know Austin Wilson from Nebraska didn't qualify,(won his loser match at 10s) then got in as an alternate because a wrestler withdrew.

His results were: lost 1st round to Toal of Missouri

pigtail consolation...beat Ottinger of CMU

second round consolation:Pinned Lewendowski of Buffalo

3rd round consolation:beat Condon from Chatanooga 10-7

4th round consolation lost to Monk North Dakota State

I don't understand the issue with trying to make a system that has been in place for a really long time better while respecting history as a bad thing. The Big 10, 12 and EIWA have all been around longer than the NCAA. Just getting rid of them as having a place in this process is a huge change. Winning your conference is a big deal. It should not be the be all end of all of going to Nationals though.

Simple: an equitable system, whereby all conferences get equal numbers into the big dance. It makes a mockery of the system to give 29,014 spots to one conference because they "derserve it," and only a handful to other conferences.

In those other conferences, it's a hell of a lot tougher to make the big dance than it is in the Big 10 and 12, where you can go 0-3 and still get a chance, or, my favorite way to make it, default your way to the big dance.

It is a mockery.

Then get rid of the conference tournament if they are already "earned."

Then get rid of the conference tournament if they are already "earned."

No. I like the tournaments.

I don't understand the issue with trying to make a system that has been in place for a really long time better while respecting history as a bad thing. The Big 10, 12 and EIWA have all been around longer than the NCAA. Just getting rid of them as having a place in this process is a huge change. Winning your conference is a big deal. It should not be the be all end of all of going to Nationals though.

Simple: an equitable system, whereby all conferences get equal numbers into the big dance. It makes a mockery of the system to give 29,014 spots to one conference because they "derserve it," and only a handful to other conferences.

In those other conferences, it's a hell of a lot tougher to make the big dance than it is in the Big 10 and 12, where you can go 0-3 and still get a chance, or, my favorite way to make it, default your way to the big dance.

It is a mockery.

And the SoCon and the Big 10 having the same number of qualifiers wouldn't result in an even bigger mockery?

There will be nearly double as many wrestlers in the Big 10 tournament next year as the SoCon. None of the SoCon teams will be anywhere near the top half of the Big 10 tournament if they competed in it.

Simple: an equitable system, whereby all conferences get equal numbers into the big dance.

You'll end up giving spots top wrestlers who are nowhere near as good as those you pass on. No thanks.

Yes, so let's give the spots to the great wrestlers who go 0-3 in the conference and have a biggest loser rassle off to determine who gets the ridiculous amount of allocated slots.

Bad asses, indeed!

OK, so change the system. The top 28 qualify via RPI (or whatever they currently use to allocate spots). The remaining 5 spots go to the winners of a set of regional tournaments.

B1G would still send about the same number of people.

Wrestling itself would be hurt because there would be no conference tournaments, while you could still have one, why ? Take chances with injuries and upsets, makes no sense. The regional tournaments will not replace a conf tournament when the highest possible ranked wrestler is #29.

You want to send the top 2/3 in each weight/conf ? That will end the sport for certain, B1G teams would really be hurt (probably intended) and I would not be surprised to see teams dropped.

English Bob,

At least we wouldn't have to have biggest loser rassle offs, and/or people defaulting their way to the big dance.

I'll take that anyday.

Then you have the most confused thinking ever on this subject.

I agree, because having biggest loser rassle offs and having the ability to default your way to the big dance is VERY rational thinking, indeed! :P

Man, is that ban basketball wacky!

English Bob,

At least we wouldn't have to have biggest loser rassle offs, and/or people defaulting their way to the big dance.

I'll take that anyday.

Then you have the most confused thinking ever on this subject.

I agree, because having biggest loser rassle offs and having the ability to default your way to the big dance is VERY rational thinking, indeed! :P

Man, is that ban basketball wacky!

As opposed to pretending that all conferences are equal? Yes this way is far more rational and logical. The guy who defaulted to the tournament is in the finals. You are arguing that a finalist should not be here. Not rational.

BanBasketball... You have yet to comment on the Austin Wilson results you asked for, and I posted above???

Comment about what? That he was handed a spot, and didn't do much at the big dance?

That good enough?

Well, going 3-2, beating 3 non Big 10 guys says to me Big 10 actually needs more qualifiers, not less. Next year Maryland and Rutgers come on board, so more will definitely be warranted. Maybe next year, hold Big 10s after NCAAs, and then use NCAAs as a qualifier for the Big 10s! ;)

BanBasketball... You have yet to comment on the Austin Wilson results you asked for, and I posted above???

Comment about what? That he was handed a spot, and didn't do much at the big dance?

That good enough?

Obviously the 3 guys he beat (From CMU, Chattanooga and Buffalo) did not belong either.

I happen to disagree, if you are going to have a 33 person bracket, you should have the best 33 wrestlers (or at least as close to the best) as possible in the dance.

Can you so Ridge Kiley (NU 141) did not belong ? Wound't argue, but then that can be said by everyone who goes 0-2.