Sign in to follow this  
Cementmixer103

Lehigh

I may be in the minority here but I really like how Lehigh has looked this year, for the most part.

With some decent seeds/draws and if they're peaking at the right time, I think they can have 5-6 AA's this year and finish 6th to 8th, this year. If they can score bonus in the first couple rounds and on the back side, that'll be huge for them and maybe even bump them up a spot or two in the team standings.

What do you all think? 

Is 5th place unrealistic for them?

125 Paetzell 4-6

149 Jimmy Hoffman 6-8

157 Humphreys 7-8

174 Jordan Kutler 2-6

184 Chris Weiler 7-8

Heavy Jordan Wood 4-8

Guys like Kutler and Wood are kinda wildcards to me. I believe both are going to place, it's just a matter of where. Wouldn't shock me if they both were wrestling for third....or seventh.

They have a nice dual team this year, hope it translates for them in the conference and national tourney.

I guess I should just google it but who do they have coming off redshirt or new recruits next year that can immediately come in and make a difference?

Thanks.

I'm kinda surprised no one has responded to this - it's a good topic, about a solid program making a run to come back into the discussion of top teams, and I figured some of the Lehigh guys might expand on it - but they seem to have their own sandbox now. :-P

Cementmixer103, I think your projections are a little bit optimistic, but not by a lot.  I see Lehigh winning the EIWA's again this year (although I'll be pulling for Princeton, after Cornell), and I think this year they crack into the top 10 at NCAA's, but top 5 will be a bit of a stretch.  I expect Paetzell, Kutler, and Wood to all make the podium; Humphries and Weiler should both score some points, but I don't see either one placing.

Next year?  I really don't know - maybe we can wake up one of the Lehigh fans from their afternoon nap, and get a response? ;-)

Two guys (Humphreys and Weiler) placing Top 8 who both have R12 finishes in their pockets at their last visit to Nationals is only slightly "optimistic".  Both have a real good shot at AA.  Hoffman may be the only stretch in the above predictions at this point, however, the above IMO is best case scenario and we all know how that works in March.  4 AA's would be a great showing, 5 AA's  phenomenal, 6 would probably need the planets to align perfectly.  Since Kutler may be there only Top 4, they may need at least 5 AA's for Top 8.

58 minutes ago, 50lbsover said:

Two guys (Humphreys and Weiler) placing Top 8 who both have R12 finishes in their pockets at their last visit to Nationals is only slightly "optimistic". 

Just to be clear - when you write "last visit to Nationals", that means 2 years ago for Weiler, he didn't make it to the show last year.  I'm more inclined to look at more recent performance, and right now Weiler's "composite ranking", according to JDA's EIWA rankings (thanks John!) is 14.6; Humphreys' is 10.4.  Both will likely have to outperform seeds to get onto the podium; it's certainly possible, and I wish them luck.  But it's also certainly rational to express some doubt.  There's a lot of other good wrestlers out there who want that AA spot.

I've been too busy getting things ready for EIWAs to see this thread.

Kutler and Wood are the obvious A/A prospects, as both have done it before.  Kutler was injured in both his NCAA tourneys and had to talk the coaches into letting him continue both times and still placed twice.  Wood tore a thumb ligament his freshman NCAA and defaulted in the blood round to a wrestler he'd already beaten; 4th as a soph last year.  If they stay healthy I expect Kutler in the top 3 and Wood 4th to 6th.

Paetzell has surprised me.  He was good last year at 133 and I expected him to crack the top 20 this year, not the top 5.  A place there is reasonable.

Humphreys kind of wrestled without a net last year -- took a lot of chances -- and made it to the blood round where he lost to #3 seed Deakin.  He looks like he's more cautious this year and had won 10 straight before his loss last night to Teemer, who really impressed me.  Humphreys was on top, tie score, riding time locked, when the refs stopped the action with 17 seconds left; I've heard that the stoppage was due to the wrong score showing on the scoreboard.  Given a fresh start Teemer managed to reverse and rode out to win.  With no restart Humphreys wins that bout.  So he's in the mix for a low place.

Weiler beat Lou DePrez and it barely affected the rankings.  He needs to stay healthy for more than two weeks at a time.  If he can do that he's capable of a place around 4th to 6th.

John Jakobsen also needs to stay healthy.  He's capable of a low place if things break right.

I like Hoffman but I haven't seen enough to make me think he'll place this year.  133 and 141 haven't been finalized yet but I'd be surprised to see a place.  Hoping for a few points at these weights.

So -- 3rd, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th might be Lehigh's upside, plus a handful of points.  That's maybe 65-70 points.  Team placement depends on how the other teams do, but 5th would be possible.  I'd be thrilled with a finish that high this year.

After the way Wood finished last year, I expected a lot more out of him this year.  He just lost to Hall and his schedule has been so bad the past 2 months that his results are nearly impossible to gauge. 

He is 13-5 with losses to Hall, Steveson, Cassar, Thomas and Orndorff. 

His wins are sooo bad that Ben Sullivan at #20 is best win. It gets so bad after that as 8 of his other 12 wins are guys ranked above 100 on wrestestat.  The other 4 are ranked around 50 and are Birchmeier 39, Camacho 54, Furman 49 and Doyle 50. 

I'm really back and forth on Jordan Wood.

Sure, the loss to Tanner Hall probably has me being a little biased but I'm starting to think he's going out in the Rd of 12.

Using Intermat rankings, if he goes into the national tourney seeded 9th, he'll open with the 24th seed, the 8th then the 1st (If he wins).

As of today that would be, Wilson from NC State then Demetrius Thomas from Pitt. The only time he's wrestled Thomas he lost 10-6 (I think). Assuming the same outcome happens that would put him in consi's. If he wins his first 2 consi matches he'd be in the rd of 12 against the loser of a quaterfinal, (potentially) seeds 3 (Cassioppi) 6 (Hilger) or 11th (Hokit).

Wrestlestat has him winning all 3 of those so...what do I know? But I don't see him beating Cass or Hilger 

This is all hypothetical, of course. Obviously seeds aren't going to end up being Intermat's rankings but it does go to show how important a good draw/seed is.

Edited by Cementmixer103