Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Iscored2onu

Shane Griffith quietly continues to win.....

Recommended Posts

While Shane Griffith is currently ranked #3 at 165 behind Cenzo and The Bull, I feel many aren't familiar with Griffith.  I was talking to a few friends earlier this week, and I mentioned that Griffith has the talent to hang and/or beat the both of the guys above him.  No one even knew who I was talking about, unfortunately.  Wrestling for Stanford obviously limited the exposure that guys in the Big 10 normally get, but this kid is putting together a heck of a season.  He's accomplished in freestyle as well with Junior Pan Am Gold, runner up at the junior worlds and a junior national runner up.  Both losses were to Aaron Brooks.  

While many of you are sure to know of him and about him, I wanted to share some stats for those that may not be too familiar with him yet.  

His redshirt freshman year he went 24-2 with a 6-4 loss to Cenzo at the scuffle and a 3-1 loss to Ryan Niven from grandview.  Niven is no slouch either a (3,2) finisher in NAIA.  

This year, he is undefeated at 26-0 with convincing wins over #11 Fogarty (5-0), #7 Shields (5-3), #6 Wittlake (4-1), #13 Monday (9-4), #20 Jarrell (8-2) and pinning #18 Ethan Smith.  

This kid is going to be special for years to come.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Iscored2onu said:

While Shane Griffith is currently ranked #3 at 165 behind Cenzo and The Bull, I feel many aren't familiar with Griffith.  I was talking to a few friends earlier this week, and I mentioned that Griffith has the talent to hang and/or beat the both of the guys above him.  No one even knew who I was talking about, unfortunately.  Wrestling for Stanford obviously limited the exposure that guys in the Big 10 normally get, but this kid is putting together a heck of a season.  He's accomplished in freestyle as well with Junior Pan Am Gold, runner up at the junior worlds and a junior national runner up.  Both losses were to Aaron Brooks.  

While many of you are sure to know of him and about him, I wanted to share some stats for those that may not be too familiar with him yet.  

His redshirt freshman year he went 24-2 with a 6-4 loss to Cenzo at the scuffle and a 3-1 loss to Ryan Niven from grandview.  Niven is no slouch either a (3,2) finisher in NAIA.  

This year, he is undefeated at 26-0 with convincing wins over #11 Fogarty (5-0), #7 Shields (5-3), #6 Wittlake (4-1), #13 Monday (9-4), #20 Jarrell (8-2) and pinning #18 Ethan Smith.  

This kid is going to be special for years to come.  

 

Good stuff! I honestly was in the camp with those not very familiar with him and it’s good to know some background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Honestly he reminds me a bit of Mekhi, in that nobody gave him much of a chance, but if you look at his matches he could totally upset a Marinelli or a Joseph on the right day. 
  
I’m excited about him. I wish he has done to Princeton though. Imagine if they also had Real Woods...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Would love to see what he could do with a B1G schedule.

Sometimes I think it’s better for them not to have that. The Big10 guys do get better due to competition, but the level competition in both duals and conferences is really tough. 
  
personally I’d rather my guys be less banged up and still face good guys, but not every week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

No, he gets covered a lot. This topic is based on someone who wants to promote a kid.

This topic is based on someone who wants to promote a kid? lol  

I coached college wrestling in Iowa and wrestled there my whole life.  No...this post is from a fan of wrestling and someone that wants to give more exposure to the sport.  As I said in my post, many of us probably know about him, but there's a whole other side of the sport that doesn't follow it as closely.....see the responses above.  So don't flatter yourself...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Iscored2onu said:

This topic is based on someone who wants to promote a kid? lol  

I coached college wrestling in Iowa and wrestled there my whole life.  No...this post is from a fan of wrestling and someone that wants to give more exposure to the sport.  As I said in my post, many of us probably know about him, but there's a whole other side of the sport that doesn't follow it as closely.....see the responses above.  So don't flatter yourself...

Thank you. Good thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Iscored2onu said:

This topic is based on someone who wants to promote a kid? lol  

I coached college wrestling in Iowa and wrestled there my whole life.  No...this post is from a fan of wrestling and someone that wants to give more exposure to the sport.  As I said in my post, many of us probably know about him, but there's a whole other side of the sport that doesn't follow it as closely.....see the responses above.  So don't flatter yourself...

You agreed with me and said I was wrong in the same sentence.

Edited by hammerlockthree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Iscored2onu said:

While Shane Griffith is currently ranked #3 at 165 behind Cenzo and The Bull, I feel many aren't familiar with Griffith.  I was talking to a few friends earlier this week, and I mentioned that Griffith has the talent to hang and/or beat the both of the guys above him.  No one even knew who I was talking about, unfortunately.  Wrestling for Stanford obviously limited the exposure that guys in the Big 10 normally get, but this kid is putting together a heck of a season.  He's accomplished in freestyle as well with Junior Pan Am Gold, runner up at the junior worlds and a junior national runner up.  Both losses were to Aaron Brooks.  

While many of you are sure to know of him and about him, I wanted to share some stats for those that may not be too familiar with him yet.  

His redshirt freshman year he went 24-2 with a 6-4 loss to Cenzo at the scuffle and a 3-1 loss to Ryan Niven from grandview.  Niven is no slouch either a (3,2) finisher in NAIA.  

This year, he is undefeated at 26-0 with convincing wins over #11 Fogarty (5-0), #7 Shields (5-3), #6 Wittlake (4-1), #13 Monday (9-4), #20 Jarrell (8-2) and pinning #18 Ethan Smith.  

This kid is going to be special for years to come.  

 

He isn't really having a "quiet" season....he has been discussed a lot on here. As someone else mentioned, it would be interesting to see him wrestle a B10 schedule.  He has some good wins - to me the most impressive is Shields. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

You agreed with me and said I was wrong in the same sentence.

Not sure what point you're trying to prove here.  In my original post I said "While many of you are sure to know of him and about him, I wanted to share some stats for those that may not be too familiar with him yet.".  Then you ramble about me just wanting to promote a kid.  Not sure what would make you think that, and frankly, who cares?  That's not the case at all.  So I'm not sure where I am agreeing with anything I didn't already say.  I'm saying you're WRONG about me "just wanting to promote a kid".  I'm wanting to promote the sport of wrestling, which I guess is a problem for you.  I have said twice now that there are groups of people that know of him (those that follow exceptionally close) and then the casual fans who don't know a whole lot about him.  I'm so sorry for trying to enlighten those fans.  It's responses like yours that really taint this board though.  Whether it be touting a kid or the sport, I'm still not sure your point or the issue.  Get over yourself.  

Edited by Iscored2onu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Idaho said:

He isn't really having a "quiet" season....he has been discussed a lot on here. As someone else mentioned, it would be interesting to see him wrestle a B10 schedule.  He has some good wins - to me the most impressive is Shields. 

The people I mentioned I spoke to who didn't know him and the people that replied already to this thread disagree.  Of course the above average fans know him.  Just trying to bring light to some less talked about talent that isn't "B10".  The stanford season is far quieter than that of say Iowa or PSU.  I'd like to see Real Woods wrestle a B10 schedule too.  

Next time, I'll try to choose a more accurate descriptor.  Maybe "less quiet".  Or maybe "quieter than Big 10 wrestlers"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iscored2onu said:

The people I mentioned I spoke to who didn't know him and the people that replied already to this thread disagree.  Of course the above average fans know him.  Just trying to bring light to some less talked about talent that isn't "B10".  The stanford season is far quieter than that of say Iowa or PSU.  I'd like to see Real Woods wrestle a B10 schedule too.  

Next time, I'll try to choose a more accurate descriptor.  Maybe "less quiet".  Or maybe "quieter than Big 10 wrestlers"

I'm a Pac12 fan along with the 5 others on the board so I'm all for bringing light to some less talked about talent. Wittlake is another one that would fit into the category of flying under the radar, however  he hasn't wrestled a tough schedule, whereas Griffith has some decent wins (including over him). I would love to see Griffith knock off the Bull and Cenzo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that I noticed about him was his scrambling ability.  For a 165 lber, he has instincts that will keep him in almost any match.  Even if he gets out of position, he has the ability to make up for it similar but on a lesser scale than say Yianni. Yianni will let guys get in deep and usually win the position.  For a bigger guy, Griffith know what to do in scramble situations.  For a RSFr, that's an intangible that's hard to teach quickly.  The younger kids keep getting better at funky positions.  

His match against Shields had a few positions that were interesting. 

Edited by Iscored2onu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...