Sign in to follow this  
aknipp

Marriott auction for NCAA tickets

So I travel a ton. Marriott has auctions to use points for many things including NCAA tickets.  A couple years ago I spent 250K points on 2 tickets to Hamilton on Broadway plus dinner for two, meet some is the cast, etc. 

The current bid is 255K points, I value points at. 8 cent per point. So that's over $2K for 2 tickets for all sessions plus some other things

https://moments.marriottbonvoy.com/moments/11465/auction/56022

Still I'm tempted to bid. Shocked that the price had gotten this high already.  

Long list but unimpressive.  Hamilton had dinner at a top Manhattan restaurant and open bar.

• Tickets to the NCAA® Division I Wrestling Championships (19-21 March)
  • NCAA® Experience Hospitality Passes, including:
    • Early entry to U.S. Bank Stadium 30 minutes prior to the general public
    • Limited open bar
    • Delicious pre-match tailgate food
    • An NCAA® Wrestling legend meet and greet
    • A photo opportunity with the NCAA® Championships trophy
  • A behind-the-scenes tour of U.S. Bank Stadium
  • The chance to make the official “Clear the Mats” announcement on PA (20 March, Session 3)
  • Pre-session Floor Passes (20 March, Session 3)
  • Commemorative Championship programs
  • Access for two people

36 minutes ago, aknipp said:

So I travel a ton. Marriott has auctions to use points for many things including NCAA tickets.  A couple years ago I spent 250K points on 2 tickets to Hamilton on Broadway plus dinner for two, meet some is the cast, etc. 

The current bid is 255K points, I value points at. 8 cent per point. So that's over $2K for 2 tickets for all sessions plus some other things

https://moments.marriottbonvoy.com/moments/11465/auction/56022

Still I'm tempted to bid. Shocked that the price had gotten this high already.  

I didnt know you could use your travel points like this. I once took my Mom on trip to Disneyland Florida via Marriott points / rooms and AA frequent flying miles / points and I remember how much I really appreciated it because its very rare to get anything for free then / nowadays. If I were you and you really want to go, jump in a bid. Good luck sir! 

5 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I didnt know you could use your travel points like this. I once took my Mom on trip to Disneyland Florida via Marriott points / rooms and AA frequent flying miles / points and I remember how much I really appreciated it because its very rare to get anything for free then / nowadays. If I were you and you really want to go, jump in a bid. Good luck sir! 

I've got plenty of points.  But schedule is hard. I already fly cross country every week and detour into Minneapolis for a long weekend will be tough.  

Cool that it’s on there, but yeah that seems high.

I don’t travel a ton, but do maybe about 30 nights a year mostly with Marriott.  Even with status earning extra points, it’d take me about 3 years to earn that many points.  But if you have points to burn, might not be the worst idea.

To put it in perspective, I just did a search for hotels that weekend.  Looks like there are several options at 30k points/night, including the Moxy and Aloft which appear to be pretty much across the street.  So you’d be paying almost 3x as much for the tickets (and saying “clear the mats”) as a 3-night stay.

Side note, it looks like those rooms are going for $400-$450 a night.  So that’d be a good use of points (1.3-1.5 cents per point)!  

Did you end up bidding on the NCAA package??

SPG (Westin, W, Aloft, Sheraton, Four Points, etc.) used to have some really good points auctions. Do you think they’ve gotten any better or worse since being folded into Marriott?

4 hours ago, pamela said:

Did you end up bidding on the NCAA package??

SPG (Westin, W, Aloft, Sheraton, Four Points, etc.) used to have some really good points auctions. Do you think they’ve gotten any better or worse since being folded into Marriott?

No not yet. I've got time as the auction ends in a week and a half. Will see how it moves.

Marriott has added some nice auctions but there are a lot more people with points to burn. So it's tough.  

13 hours ago, NJDan said:

Can't you buy them for a fraction of that on Stubhub?

Not for Marriott points.   OP basically said he knows it's not a good deal, but if he has a ton of points, may be better to spend them than real money.