Sign in to follow this  
MonagFam

Once Signed -- How Much Do HS Results Affect Future School/Coaches

I will probably reiterate this several times, but I come from more of a football background to understanding HS/College sports.  There are plenty of early commits, but most don't sign a letter of intent until their HS season is over (not even sure if they can sign any earlier).  Other sports are different where they may sign a class before the final season it seems. 

Case in point:  Oklahoma State commit Jakason Burks was upset in the Nebraska HS State wrestling this afternoon.  It's one of a handful of losses he has ever experienced and it was a little weird -- up late by one when the timer ran out and the refs, after consulting, determined he didn't have control.  It went into OT and then another OT where he would lose by one in the end.

Does this result cause any concern for Oklahoma State fans/coaches, etc.?  Or do they not look so much at one bad result, but rather give them something to work with when they hit campus? 

I realize what a commit is doing near the end of their own season may not amount to much, but I was just curious.

In wrestling it's a bit different than say football or basketball because the scouting is much "easier" - though I say that lightly.  By easier, I mean the 1v1 aspect.  In football and basketball you're gauging someone with many other offensive or defensive players there as well.  Another good player can make your target appear better as well.  When I was recruiting for wrestling, I spent a lot of time watching film, going to live events and really getting to know the kids.  The margin for error is much smaller in wrestling as you have to get the academics, character and skill mostly correct.  If you lost 1 or 2 guys at a weight due to ineligibility, you can screw yourself.  Football may have 10 guys at a position in some instances.  

Lastly, the result of someone losing in their last match in the state finals is less of a concern depending on the situation.  Look at Spencer Lee.  That's an extreme example, and he was wrestling another highly touted recruit, but you get the picture.  If someone has made it that far through the process and has been "can't miss" for quite some time, that person can have an off day or match.  There's a lot of wrestlers that have had successful careers with losses ;)  When the loss happens doesn't really matter, and frankly, the state tournament may be the best place for it.  At least then you know the competition is a bit better, hopefully.  I'd look at the larger sample size.  Quality of opponents.  Match circumstances. Trends.  While referees should never be counted on to make the correct call...and a wrestler shouldn't let a ref decide...it DOES happen, and coaches are aware of that.  Even though the loss may still exist, that is something a recruiter can overlook. 

Hope that helps, and it's a very small example of a few things.  

3 minutes ago, GockeS said:

i think the OSU coaches will look more at how he handled the loss. 

He was all class.

After the two 'conferences' and Burks coming out on the bad side both times... most kids wouldn't have.

I agree.  My son had said he played basketball with him not to long ago with some friends (I did a total Dad thing and mispronounced Burks' first name).  

I wished he was a little more aggressive early on, because when it came down to riding/escapes later in the match, I didn't think he looked as good.  That said, he was what a second away from winning before conference one and a second from tying in one of the OTs, but to have the 2nd conference go against him the other way.

15 minutes ago, Iscored2onu said:

In wrestling it's a bit different than say football or basketball because the scouting is much "easier" - though I say that lightly.  By easier, I mean the 1v1 aspect.  In football and basketball you're gauging someone with many other offensive or defensive players there as well.  Another good player can make your target appear better as well.  When I was recruiting for wrestling, I spent a lot of time watching film, going to live events and really getting to know the kids.  The margin for error is much smaller in wrestling as you have to get the academics, character and skill mostly correct.  If you lost 1 or 2 guys at a weight due to ineligibility, you can screw yourself.  Football may have 10 guys at a position in some instances.  

Lastly, the result of someone losing in their last match in the state finals is less of a concern depending on the situation.  Look at Spencer Lee.  That's an extreme example, and he was wrestling another highly touted recruit, but you get the picture.  If someone has made it that far through the process and has been "can't miss" for quite some time, that person can have an off day or match.  There's a lot of wrestlers that have had successful careers with losses ;)  When the loss happens doesn't really matter, and frankly, the state tournament may be the best place for it.  At least then you know the competition is a bit better, hopefully.  I'd look at the larger sample size.  Quality of opponents.  Match circumstances. Trends.  While referees should never be counted on to make the correct call...and a wrestler shouldn't let a ref decide...it DOES happen, and coaches are aware of that.  Even though the loss may still exist, that is something a recruiter can overlook. 

Hope that helps, and it's a very small example of a few things.  

Thanks so much for your reply!  This definitely helps put it in perspective and understand a little more about how it works for wrestling.  This is really my first time trying to follow it (though I got into it late) so while I'm excited to see what happens this season, I'm kind of pumped for the next.

2 hours ago, MonagFam said:

most don't sign a letter of intent until their HS season is over (not even sure if they can sign any earlier)

They can start signing November 13 - Most are signing early rather than later. 

Tonight at the Iowa High School State Wrestling Finals, Adam Allard (3 time state champ with 199 straight wins) went up against another returning champ, Aidan Noonan.  Allard was winning 2-1 with 5 seconds left in the match when Noonan turned him for 3 to win 4-2.  Allard didn't claim his 4th title and also missed out on being the 1st Iowa high schooler with 200 straight wins (not total wins).  This was a heck of a match.  With that said, Allard will still go to UNI as planned ;)

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

They can start signing November 13 - Most are signing early rather than later. 

Sorry, I was referring to football players.  They may verbally commit, but I think the early and "normal" signing periods for football happen after that season is done.   With wrestling and other sports, sometimes they haven't even started their senior season when they sign, right?

1 minute ago, MonagFam said:

Sorry, I was referring to football players.  They may verbally commit, but I think the early and "normal" signing periods for football happen after that season is done.   With wrestling and other sports, sometimes they haven't even started their senior season when they sign, right?

As with any sport, a verbal really means nothing at this point with all the kids having their own special cable show to announce their commitment. For football they now have the early signing on Dec 18th -20th  which is bowl season for college and just after the end of high school- then the traditional Feb 5th or so. But yes, officially football would sign at the end of the season or just after the season.  Wrestling can start signing Nov 13 which is typically the week or a week before the official season starts. "commitments" can begin after your sophomore year but of course it doesn't mean anything until your name is signed on the NLI. A long answer to say "right".