calot

Iowa St. Open (merged topic)

So Dresser sent out two wrestlers in an actual NCAA sanctioned competition with an already predetermined outcome. How is this not throwing a match and subject to rules against match fixing?

2 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

I can understand the Iowa St. guys injury defaulting but why would Johnny Sebastian?

Did Sebastian need 1 match?  Probably made a deal with Bono.

10 minutes ago, WF89 said:

Did Sebastian need 1 match?  Probably made a deal with Bono.

He was in the bracket but never actually wrestled I believe. There were only 5 total matches actually wrestled in the bracket. I can understand wanting your guys to get more matches but don’t get why you have backups injury default to your starter.

10 minutes ago, Mpchillin said:

He was in the bracket but never actually wrestled I believe. There were only 5 total matches actually wrestled in the bracket. I can understand wanting your guys to get more matches but don’t get why you have backups injury default to your starter.

The Inj Def by the backups count as a win for the Starter and improves the Starters winning pct (1 of the 3 metrics for getting an AQ).

Regarding Sebastian, he needed one more D1 match to meet the minimum of 15 to qualify for an RPI  (another 1 of the 3 metrics).  The loss by Inj Def allows him to meet that & likely get an AQ for the Big 10 at 184.

So Dresser brokers a deal to give Sebastian his needed match (loss by Inj Def) for RPI qualification and in return gets a easy win with no risk of losing or injury for his Starter to improve Winning Pct. 

Gaming the system at its best.

Edited by Show_Me

59 minutes ago, Mpchillin said:

They mentioned during the Wisconsin match the other night Sebastian has had the flu so it’s possible he was still sick today and didn’t want to risk taking a loss

Let's be clear about what happened here... "Iowa State Wrestling", not Dresser. took a giant hit in the face.

Iowa State does have a higher level of integrity than this - and actions will be taken to rectify the situation. 

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

Going to opens to get wins is common, however, to host the open and have your own guys wrestling each other then med FF out or your guy taking multiple injury default wins is totally something else. What a disgrace and an embarrassment to our sport!

If they charged admission, they need to make refunds pronto!

9 hours ago, Mpchillin said:

They weren’t at the dual? The head coach, assistant coach and half the starting lineup just completely ducked a dual with a long-time rival? How is this not bigger news?

FLO needs to make this FRONT page news to get the attention of the entire wrestling community. Anyone and everyone associated with our sport needs to say, hey this is blatant and unacceptable - and they need to do it right away publicly.

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

They mentioned during the Wisconsin match the other night Sebastian has had the flu so it’s possible he was still sick today and didn’t want to risk taking a loss

Well if he injury defaulted then he did take a loss 

This sounds to be about as disgusting an act as we've seen in college wrestling in a long time (excluding criminal type actions that were not wrestling related). Who was even at this "open"? Given the number of ISU vs ISU matchups, it almost sounds like it was basically an intersquad tournament with a couple extra guys thrown in. Does this kind of "open" have to be sanctioned in some way or can a coach just randomly set something like this up?

I agree that this sounds like match fixing and should be punished.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

This sounds to be about as disgusting an act as we've seen in college wrestling in a long time (excluding criminal type actions that were not wrestling related). Who was even at this "open"? Given the number of ISU vs ISU matchups, it almost sounds like it was basically an intersquad tournament with a couple extra guys thrown in. Does this kind of "open" have to be sanctioned in some way or can a coach just randomly set something like this up?

I agree that this sounds like match fixing and should be punished.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes the NCAA has to approve the event.Its on trackwrestling in the OPC you can look at the results

Let’s also all take a second to laugh at the Joe Smith situation (or feel bad for him depending on how you feel about the situation). I imagine the conversation between Dresser and John Smith went something like this. 

John: “Hey Kevin, heard you’re running a bogus tournament next weekend. Need to get Joe a few easy wins. Can you do anything for me?”

Kevin: “Absolutely John! Send Joe down here and I’ll get him a couple easy matches with my backups and a couple MFFs. He will come back the Iowa State Open champ with a much better winning percentage than when he got here.”

WOMP WOMP WOMP. 

9 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Let’s also all take a second to laugh at the Joe Smith situation (or feel bad for him depending on how you feel about the situation). I imagine the conversation between Dresser and John Smith went something like this. 

John: “Hey Kevin, heard you’re running a bogus tournament next weekend. Need to get Joe a few easy wins. Can you do anything for me?”

Kevin: “Absolutely John! Send Joe down here and I’ll get him a couple easy matches with my backups and a couple MFFs. He will come back the Iowa State Open champ with a much better winning percentage than when he got here.”

WOMP WOMP WOMP. 

This needs to be addressed and not allowed to happen ever again.I always liked Dresser because he got so much out of his guys.After this it's gonna be hard to like  him

4 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

Looking at the brackets, most weights look legit. 184 and 285 are pretty questionable and were definitely manipulated. I don’t think Mizzou is upset as they had several wrestlers at the tourney as well. 

My main issue is 184.Then he also has a couple guys win 1 then med FF out and the win was against teammates.184 is a absolute joke and Dresser should be called out by all Wrestling Media for it.

FLO won't say a word.  They have been promoting Dresser since he took the job.  In the first year they had talks on FRL about ISU becoming the team in Iowa and how would the UofI handle it.  Last year, every time Iowa sat a wrestler it was major news and sometimes a headline on the front of FLO.  Dresser sat five guys under dubious circumstances.  How is this good for the sport?  The reason they used to rant about Iowa last year.   How is taking half a team to a dual meet when 4 of those guys wrestled elsewhere good for the fans?  FLO won't cover this the same as they did other teams and other wrestlers last year--why, I don't know.   If that many guys needed matches, then someone did a horrible job planning a schedule.  My concern is the way the brackets and matches gained were manipulated.  If I'm a recruits family and this is how he interacts with his team and the rules, I would question the manipulative approach.  This loophole needs to be changed by the NCAA, since certain coaches will do anything to manipulate winning percent for seeding.  What happened to just earn it on the mat. Maybe we should interject, just earn it on the mat--by actually wrestling real matches against real opponents.....

26 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

Looking at the brackets, most weights look legit. 184 and 285 are pretty questionable and were definitely manipulated. I don’t think Mizzou is upset as they had several wrestlers at the tourney as well. 

Where can we see the brackets?

30 minutes ago, mistydawn said:

FLO won't say a word.  They have been promoting Dresser since he took the job.  In the first year they had talks on FRL about ISU becoming the team in Iowa and how would the UofI handle it.  Last year, every time Iowa sat a wrestler it was major news and sometimes a headline on the front of FLO.  Dresser sat five guys under dubious circumstances.  How is this good for the sport?  The reason they used to rant about Iowa last year.   How is taking half a team to a dual meet when 4 of those guys wrestled elsewhere good for the fans?  FLO won't cover this the same as they did other teams and other wrestlers last year--why, I don't know.   If that many guys needed matches, then someone did a horrible job planning a schedule.  My concern is the way the brackets and matches gained were manipulated.  If I'm a recruits family and this is how he interacts with his team and the rules, I would question the manipulative approach.  This loophole needs to be changed by the NCAA, since certain coaches will do anything to manipulate winning percent for seeding.  What happened to just earn it on the mat. Maybe we should interject, just earn it on the mat--by actually wrestling real matches against real opponents.....

Don’t some HS states have a rule where you can’t have (at least more than a couple) guys at more than one competition on the same day?  Something like that would prevent what happened in the Missouri dual, but probably not the sham open in general.

8 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Well if he injury defaulted then he did take a loss 

Although I guess if he moreso needed some minimum number of matches, getting that could maybe be worth taking a loss if he was still sick?

1 hour ago, SamStall365247 said:

I thought this at first for 285, but when I looked at it there were 3 wrestlers in the bracket, and 2 were from the same team. The first inj default was between 2 wrestlers from opposite teams and was longer than a 0:01 time, it may have been a real injury. Then because of the round robin nature of the tournament it could have been teammates not wrestling each other. I know that practice is debated, but it seems to happen frequently at opens.

47 minutes ago, mistydawn said:

FLO won't say a word? My renewal is coming up soon and I'm going to send them a quick email asking them to investigate this situation and provide us with the findings. Perhaps everyone else should do the same. I'm not much of a social media person (twitter, FB, etc,.) but I'd like to see 1000's from our community flood BTN, ESPN and anyone else who covers our sport in response to this. This way no one else pulls this crap ever again.