calot

Iowa St. Open (merged topic)

32 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Don’t some HS states have a rule where you can’t have (at least more than a couple) guys at more than one competition on the same day?  Something like that would prevent what happened in the Missouri dual, but probably not the sham open in general.

If I understand it correctly, Michigan allows multiples at the sections (or whatever they call first round) and not beyond. Thought I heard about switching weights at 2nd round but that seems very weird.

1 hour ago, mistydawn said:

FLO won't say a word.  They have been promoting Dresser since he took the job.  In the first year they had talks on FRL about ISU becoming the team in Iowa and how would the UofI handle it.  Last year, every time Iowa sat a wrestler it was major news and sometimes a headline on the front of FLO.  Dresser sat five guys under dubious circumstances.  How is this good for the sport?  The reason they used to rant about Iowa last year.   How is taking half a team to a dual meet when 4 of those guys wrestled elsewhere good for the fans?  FLO won't cover this the same as they did other teams and other wrestlers last year--why, I don't know.   If that many guys needed matches, then someone did a horrible job planning a schedule.  My concern is the way the brackets and matches gained were manipulated.  If I'm a recruits family and this is how he interacts with his team and the rules, I would question the manipulative approach.  This loophole needs to be changed by the NCAA, since certain coaches will do anything to manipulate winning percent for seeding.  What happened to just earn it on the mat. Maybe we should interject, just earn it on the mat--by actually wrestling real matches against real opponents.....

I would almost certainly guarantee that askren will go off on a rant about this. I noticed since he joined Flo he can pretty talk crap about whoever and the other guys just sit and listen nervously, which is definitely an upgrade from the last two years of Flo kissing whoever gives them the most contents a** and never calling anyone out 

3 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I would almost certainly guarantee that askren will go off on a rant about this. I noticed since he joined Flo he can pretty talk crap about whoever and the other guys just sit and listen nervously, which is definitely an upgrade from the last two years of Flo kissing whoever gives them the most contents a** and never calling anyone out 

Well to be fair hasn’t he made fun of himself for wrestling at the Southeast Missouri State Open or something to increase his bonus %?

17 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

If I understand it correctly, Michigan allows multiples at the sections (or whatever they call first round) and not beyond. Thought I heard about switching weights at 2nd round but that seems very weird.

Not sure I follow.  Are you talking about multiple kids in 1 weight at the same tournament?  I’m talking about a team going to 2 different events on the same day.

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well to be fair hasn’t he made fun of himself for wrestling at the Southeast Missouri State Open or something to increase his bonus %?

Yea but he didn’t do that at the sacrifice of his own team, he would wrestling in a dual Saturday then go to an open Sunday, I don’t believe he would have ever missed a big dual like this one. I expect askren to be pretty critical while the others sit around and praise Dresser as a great coach and a genius 

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Not sure I follow.  Are you talking about multiple kids in 1 weight at the same tournament?  I’m talking about a team going to 2 different events on the same day.

Sorry- misread. I think there was also a thread about that sort of thing recently also. 

Some states do allow this some don't. Events like Beast/Ironman/Eastern States often have teams that only bring 1 or 2 so it must happen with them also.

17 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea but he didn’t do that at the sacrifice of his own team, he would wrestling in a dual Saturday then go to an open Sunday, I don’t believe he would have ever missed a big dual like this one. I expect askren to be pretty critical while the others sit around and praise Dresser as a great coach and a genius 

True 

5 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Sorry- misread. I think there was also a thread about that sort of thing recently also. 

Some states do allow this some don't. Events like Beast/Ironman/Eastern States often have teams that only bring 1 or 2 so it must happen with them also.

Yeah that’s why I said more than a couple. Sending 1 or 2 to a different event (like the Scuffle or Midlands for college) should be fine, but sending half your team to 1 event and another half to another probably shouldn’t happen. 

1 hour ago, mistydawn said:

FLO won't say a word.  They have been promoting Dresser since he took the job.  In the first year they had talks on FRL about ISU becoming the team in Iowa and how would the UofI handle it.  Last year, every time Iowa sat a wrestler it was major news and sometimes a headline on the front of FLO.  Dresser sat five guys under dubious circumstances.  How is this good for the sport?  The reason they used to rant about Iowa last year.   How is taking half a team to a dual meet when 4 of those guys wrestled elsewhere good for the fans?  FLO won't cover this the same as they did other teams and other wrestlers last year--why, I don't know.   If that many guys needed matches, then someone did a horrible job planning a schedule.  My concern is the way the brackets and matches gained were manipulated.  If I'm a recruits family and this is how he interacts with his team and the rules, I would question the manipulative approach.  This loophole needs to be changed by the NCAA, since certain coaches will do anything to manipulate winning percent for seeding.  What happened to just earn it on the mat. Maybe we should interject, just earn it on the mat--by actually wrestling real matches against real opponents.....

I stand corrected.  I just saw that Christian Pyles agreed with Cary Kolat stating that this has to be fixed when coaches are gaming the system...  I hope they cover it on an FRL.  This was truly wrong and as Kolat stated, it will hurt other wrestlers because they will get a better seed based on bogus matches.  

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah that’s why I said more than a couple. Sending 1 or 2 to a different event (like the Scuffle or Midlands for college) should be fine, but sending half your team to 1 event and another half to another probably shouldn’t happen. 

Was also switching between college and HS and thought HS. College-wise happens a bit. I don't think any restrictions other than keeping in mind that more than 6 attached wrestlers makes it a countable date. Not sure if the 7+ has to be a same event or not. Never thought about that.

3 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

I don’t think Mizzou is upset as they had several wrestlers at the tourney as well. 

Mizzou matted the wrestlers in the ISU dual that have started for them the past month with the exception of 197 as the dual was secured by then.

None of the 3 wrestlers they sent to the Last Chance have wrestled or been starters since Jan.25.  

Sending 3 non-starters to an Open to get matches coming off injury is common & legitimate.

What is NOT legitimate is :

1) sending only HALF your team to a scheduled dual that has been on your Calendar long term.

2) not sending your head Coach & head assistant coach to said dual.

3) making arrangements to host an Open for the sole purpose of getting starters bogus wins by Inj Defaults..... gaming the Allocation System.

Edited by Show_Me

There’s no way other coaches can be cool with what Dresser did. Imagine being in seeding meetings and seeing Coleman’s results from the Last Chance Open.  Hopefully this will internally sort itself out and other coaches will make it known that this was disrespectful to the sport. 

If Dresser wants to host his flukey open again next year it would be funny if 4-5 other big boy teams entered their entire varsity roster to compete. 

50 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

If Dresser wants to host his flukey open again next year it would be funny if 4-5 other big boy teams entered their entire varsity roster to compete. 

This reminds me, last year I emailed athletic department folks from both ISU and PSU (I’m a PSU alum who works at ISU) to see if any Penn State wrestlers would be here (the last chance event was a lot more visibly scheduled last year). The responses were “interesting”.

Im somewhat disappointed this was not publicized more. I would have gone to it this year had I known about it.

1 minute ago, Titabawassee said:

2 of the 3 Iowa State guys who defaulted to Coleman were not even 184lbers showing what he did was premeditated!!!!

-Caleb Long competed at 165/174 all season not 184 

-Austin Stotts competed at 174 all season not 184. 

He purposely put his own guys up at 184 to fix these matches!!! 

It is 100% obvious what was done here.  

This can't be how the NCAA wants the AQ spots to be earned for Conference Tournaments !

The NCAA needs to make the necessary changes to NOT allow this type of nonsense to be employed by Coaches like Dresser going forward.  It is a complete sham and is an embarassment to College Wrestling.

To set a couple things straight.  

The last chance open was suppose to be Sunday at Iowa State.

The NDSU dual got rescheduled for Sunday in Hilton.

So Last Chance got moved to Saturday & couldn’t be in Hilton

Everyone of the Iowa State Backup wrestlers except Stotts wrestled a Minnesota or SDSU in earlier matches & won