calot

Iowa St. Open (merged topic)

13 minutes ago, buf87 said:

To set a couple things straight.  

The last chance open was suppose to be Sunday at Iowa State.

The NDSU dual got rescheduled for Sunday in Hilton.

So Last Chance got moved to Saturday & couldn’t be in Hilton

Everyone of the Iowa State Backup wrestlers except Stotts wrestled a Minnesota or SDSU in earlier matches & won

So everybody should have cheered for the Minnesota and SDSU wrestlers to win if they wanted to see actual wrestling continue in the next round? 

8 minutes ago, Mpchillin said:

So everybody should have cheered for the Minnesota and SDSU wrestlers to win if they wanted to see actual wrestling continue in the next round? 

Apparently.  I think everyone also assumed Sebastian would wrestle at least a match also

14 minutes ago, buf87 said:

Apparently.  I think everyone also assumed Sebastian would wrestle at least a match also

He did he just injury defaulted since he only needed 1 match for RPI

Edited by calot

I find what Dresser did to be a despicable act of unsportsmanlike conduct.  The NCAA established a qualification system in an effort to ensure the best / most qualified wrestlers reach the NCAAs.  

Having backup wrestlers intentionally injury default is simply cheating. 

Sending 5 backups to dual vs. a top 25 Mizzou team is insulting to the sport, especially the fans.  

The penalties on ISU and Dresser should be severe.  Blatant attempts to cheat the system should not be tolerated.  The 184 lb bracket is exhibit A of how a coach tries to cheat the system.  

Here are the relevant people to contact.  I plan to contact all of them.  

ISU AD Jamie Pollard      jbp@iastate.edu

NCAA Wrestling Rules Committee

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=MWRRULES

NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Committee

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=1MWR

Dresser will be on FRL to “explain the loophole” so pretty much he’s going to call in, probably with his I know better then you attitude and say what he did was right and if people are mad change the rules , then pyles, nomad and bratke will tell him how awesome and what a great coach he is and that’ll be the end of it this season 

It is not like Coleman didn't wrestle a full and tough schedule.

He had 9 matches at 174 & 10 at 184 not including Saturday matches

He lost to #1, #4, #6, #15, 17 at 184 (using last Flo rankings)

At 174, he lost to #1, #5, #9, and #20 and a win over #8 (Skatzka)

But none of these matches at 174 count towards win %age or RPI.

So Coleman had no chance to get an RPI because of the weight change and wrestled a pretty tough schedule that most wrestlers don't  (Excluding Big 10 guys), so win %age is tough to get

Edited by buf87

By Coleman receiving 4 "cheap Inj Def Wins", he improves his Win Pct from .500 (5-5) to .643 (9-5) without even having to wrestle a single minute.  A massive improvement without having to risk ANYTHING.  Now today, he can get his 15th match for RPI which gives the Big 12 an AQ for 184. 

This goes against everything ethical about the "process" of the Allocation System.

1 minute ago, Show_Me said:

By Coleman receiving 4 "cheap Inj Def Wins", he improves his Win Pct from .500 (5-5) to .643 (9-5) without even having to wrestle a single minute.  A massive improvement without having to risk ANYTHING.  Now today, he can get his 15th match for RPI which gives the Big 12 an AQ for 184. 

This goes against everything ethical about the "process" of the Allocation System.

Why does he automatically get a berth without knowing the RPI?  Win %age is irrelevant if not 70%

13 minutes ago, buf87 said:

Why does he automatically get a berth without knowing the RPI?  Win %age is irrelevant if not 70%

To get an AQ, you need to satisfy 2 of 3 metrics (Coaches Rank, Win Pct, & RPI).  

How much are you willing to bet that these actions by Dressser do not result in Coleman receiving an AQ ?

Edited by Show_Me

4 minutes ago, RavishingRickRude said:

Makes me laugh that this thread is now 4 pages long and the topic is all over twitter, yet this was the first response. 

I posted about this yesterday during the tournament before it was on Twitter.So his response was when nobody was aware of what had happened.It still made me laugh

2 hours ago, buf87 said:

It is not like Coleman didn't wrestle a full and tough schedule.

He had 9 matches at 174 & 10 at 184 not including Saturday matches

He lost to #1, #4, #6, #15, 17 at 184 (using last Flo rankings)

At 174, he lost to #1, #5, #9, and #20 and a win over #8 (Skatzka)

But none of these matches at 174 count towards win %age or RPI.

So Coleman had no chance to get an RPI because of the weight change and wrestled a pretty tough schedule that most wrestlers don't  (Excluding Big 10 guys), so win %age is tough to get

It’s completely understandable that he needs the 4 matches and did wrestle a tough schedule. The issue being questioned is the 4 injury defaults instead of actually wrestling those matches.

7 minutes ago, WF89 said:

Did Dresser personally draw up the bracket? Hard to believe it went like that by random draw.

Have to believe one of the teams asked to bring a 184. To which Dresser said they were full...

Valuable experience for the ISU backups 

Edited by Back.Points

Understand that.  I think Dresser thought Sebastian would wrestle.  Probably didn’t expect all the backups to beat the SDSU & Minnesota guys

Edited by buf87

30 minutes ago, Mpchillin said:

It’s completely understandable that he needs the 4 matches and did wrestle a tough schedule. The issue being questioned is the 4 injury defaults instead of actually wrestling those matches.

7 minutes ago, Back.Points said:

Have to believe one of the teams asked to bring a 184. To which Dresser said they were full...

Valuable experience for the ISU backups 

I believe Sebastian of Wisconsin was Coleman’s 2nd round guys.  Other side had a couple Iowa State guys, 2 SDSU guys & a Minnesota guys.  All lost to Iowa State guys

3 hours ago, ArmyFan said:

I find what Dresser did to be a despicable act of unsportsmanlike conduct.  The NCAA established a qualification system in an effort to ensure the best / most qualified wrestlers reach the NCAAs.  

Having backup wrestlers intentionally injury default is simply cheating. 

Sending 5 backups to dual vs. a top 25 Mizzou team is insulting to the sport, especially the fans.  

The penalties on ISU and Dresser should be severe.  Blatant attempts to cheat the system should not be tolerated.  The 184 lb bracket is exhibit A of how a coach tries to cheat the system.  

ISU AD Jamie Pollard      jbp@iastate.edu

NCAA Wrestling Rules Committee

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=MWRRULES

NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Committee

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=1MWR

Sure the rule he broke if you send an email saying they be punished  

punishing people is only appropriate if rules have been broken and can be proven. 

What dresser did was a bit shady. This isn’t about defending him. 

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Dresser will be on FRL to “explain the loophole” so pretty much he’s going to call in, probably with his I know better then you attitude and say what he did was right and if people are mad change the rules , then pyles, nomad and bratke will tell him how awesome and what a great coach he is and that’ll be the end of it this season 

If Dresser tries to climb atop some moral soap box and defend what he did, he should still be shamed / punished.  There are far more appropriate and professional ways to address what he may perceive to be a "loophole".  If he thinks this is some cute / creative way to expose a bad rule, he's still wrong.  The 184 bracket is just a sham.  You don't put a bunch of 165/174 backups in a bracket so they can injury default to your top 184.  How did the ISU ten feel on the bus down to Mizzou?  "Hey guys, I really don't care too much about this dual vs. a top 25 opponent.  So Brent and I are just gonna stay back and go to this Last Chance Open at the local HS.  Good luck, boys!"  What Dresser did was terrible for the sport, unethical, and inexcusable.  

3 hours ago, ArmyFan said:

If you're going to go this far, you might be better off contacting the coaches that rank 184 and make sure they are aware of the gaming of the system.  Coleman was 25 in the coaches rank released 2/13.  If he dropped to 31 he wouldn't be able earn an AQ spot despite now having an RPI because of his winning %.  Might not even have to drop that far depending on how the weight shakes out.

7 hours ago, RichB said:

How about a first period default to a teammate, with no competition points ie Takedown scored does not count towards winning percentage or RPI

No wins vs teammates count period sounds better.

2 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

It's absolute total bull****! And considering how I saw Dresser treat some parent at Fargo a few years ago it doesn't surprise me at all!

I know a lady who went to HS with Dresser and when he took the ISU job she mentioned he was a total ass even then.

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah that’s why I said more than a couple. Sending 1 or 2 to a different event (like the Scuffle or Midlands for college) should be fine, but sending half your team to 1 event and another half to another probably shouldn’t happen. 

That's actually S.O.P. in track and field. Not unheard of to send your sprinters to one event, your distance runners to another, and your throwers to a third event, sometimes on opposite ends of the country.

1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

That's actually S.O.P. in track and field. Not unheard of to send your sprinters to one event, your distance runners to another, and your throwers to a third event, sometimes on opposite ends of the country.

However track and field is done against the clock or the measuring tape. It's different in this case.