calot

Iowa St. Open (merged topic)

1 hour ago, RavishingRickRude said:

Summary: “My job is to get the most wrestlers to the national tournament and I did it within the rules. Have a problem? Change the rules.”

Well he did also claim one of the guys that injury defaulted was sick so he didn’t want that guy to get Coleman sick.  Then said one of the other guys supposedly got hurt in a match he actually wrestled.   Didn’t explain the 3rd ISU guy that defaulted.

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Ballsy of Kevin Dresser to go with the Astros "f**k you" defense.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

well there is the coaches rankings....I wonder if Coleman will mysteriously drop from 25 out of the top 33. 

8 minutes ago, Idaho said:

well there is the coaches rankings....I wonder if Coleman will mysteriously drop from 25 out of the top 33. 

Borrelli,Erisman,Sharratt,Wirnsberger,Eggum,Clemsen,Spates

Gordon,Robie,Gavin,Lausier,Cody,Williams and Branch vote 184

Edited by calot

3 hours ago, Force118 said:

I know I’m new but how come nobody told me Cael posts on here?

You’d still have to be capable of producing All-Americans. So it isn’t like just anyone could do it.  But it is a little more ‘MoneyBall’ where I believe a lot of programs could do it.  

The issue is that it wouldn’t be popular which is why coaches, admins, and boosters would be reluctant to buy in.

Dresser never addressed why it was acceptable to only sent 5 starters to a dual that was scheduled on the calendar long term (or) why he & Metcalf couldn’t be present to Coach the ISU 1/2 Team in the said dual.

This embodies everything that is wrong with D1 Wrestling.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

He's right. Dresser used the rules to help his guys. Sleazy, but not "illegal". It's technically a very smart coaching move, but I don't like it one bit.

I am not sure it is actually legal.  

It sounds like his guys took losses to help a teammate get wins for qualification.  Either at the direction of the coach or on their own.  

But the NCAA has rules about “fair play” and “integrity” which seem to be more than simply a mission statement. 

9 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

Dresser never addressed why it was acceptable to only sent 5 starters to a dual that was scheduled on the calendar long term (or) why he & Metcalf couldn’t be present to Coach the ISU 1/2 Team in the said dual.

Because duals don’t mean anything.  When dual results qualify a team for the NCAA championships, you will see coaches doing what is needed to win duals just like they do what is needed to try to get their kids into the NCAA championship. 

Pinnum -  

As a long-time D1 fan, I completely understand what you are saying.

It doesn’t change the fact that Dresser’s actions last weekend regarding the Dual & ISU Last Chance were despicable, unethical, & bad for D1 Wrestling.

Edited by Show_Me

8 hours ago, Show_Me said:

Yeah someone also mentioned somewhere else that Carr only wrestled 1 match at the Last Chance Open.  Couldn't he have wrestled that 1 match at the Mizzou dual?

Just now, 1032004 said:

Yeah someone also mentioned somewhere else that Carr only wrestled 1 match at the Last Chance Open.  Couldn't he have wrestled that 1 match at the Mizzou dual?

Yes he could've be not against a teammate that's gonna take it easy on his injuries.The open was a joke and designed to side step the system in place.Dresser knows damn well what he did and is gonna blame it on the rule set.They show Sebastian on TV Thursday night and say he's sick as he sits with his hood up so he can continue to sweat from his workout.Then Sebastian goes to the open and injury defaults to Coleman.And Dresser says it's not our fault we were ready to wrestle Sebastian but he was still sick.Such BS Dresser and Bono were both aware of what was to take place.

May also have to do with the Iowa finals being held on Saturday night. 

3 minutes ago, calot said:

Yes he could've be not against a teammate that's gonna take it easy on his injuries.The open was a joke and designed to side step the system in place.Dresser knows damn well what he did and is gonna blame it on the rule set.They show Sebastian on TV Thursday night and say he's sick as he sits with his hood up so he can continue to sweat from his workout.Then Sebastian goes to the open and injury defaults to Coleman.And Dresser says it's not our fault we were ready to wrestle Sebastian but he was still sick.Such BS Dresser and Bono were both aware of what was to take place.

I think I can buy that Sebastian was still sick since he did take a loss.

But was it  just dumb luck that Coleman was placed in the bracket where he was the only one able to get 4 matches in the winner's bracket?  In addition to Coleman, at 149 and 157, Degen and Carr of ISU were also participants in the only first round match.   Seems convenient to say the least.

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But was it  just dumb luck that Coleman was placed in the bracket where he was the only one able to get 4 matches in the winner's bracket?  In addition to Coleman, at 149 and 157, Degen and Carr of ISU were also participants in the only first round match.   Seems convenient to say the least.

The loss didn't matter to Sebastian at all he just needed the match for RPI.Why wrestle 7min Thursday and risk injury when your gonna take a dive Saturday.Also the Iowa St wrestlers who Coleman faced for :01 were 165 & 174 guys who hadn't wrestled 1 match at 184 all season.This was premeditated match fixing at its finest.If this was football or basketball someone would be getting in serious trouble.Theyre lucky bets can't be palced on all  wrestling matches yet

Edited by calot

8 hours ago, Pinnum said:

I am not sure it is actually legal.  

It sounds like his guys took losses to help a teammate get wins for qualification.  Either at the direction of the coach or on their own.  

But the NCAA has rules about “fair play” and “integrity” which seem to be more than simply a mission statement.

Yeah, for these matches to count, they had to walk out on the mat, have the ref blow the whistle, and then immediately default (correct me if I am wrong). If guys were too injured to wrestle, they shouldn't have walked out on the mat. And if I guy was too sick to wrestle, he shouldn't have been in the ****ing tournament. But all of that would defeat the purpose of this sham tournament. Sending out "sick" or "injured" backups to immediately default so the starter can get a fake win surely violates something. If not, at least his peach card gets revoked after this.

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

It would be interesting to get some details of the seeding meeting from this tournament. Hard to believe some of this wasn't planned out in advance. And maybe the reason that Dresser and Metcalf stayed home for an open tournament instead of going to a scheduled dual was to make sure everything went to plan.

9 hours ago, calot said:

Borrelli,Erisman,Sharratt,Wirnsberger,Eggum,Clemsen,Spates

Gordon,Robie,Gavin,Lausier,Cody,Williams and Branch vote 184

I wonder if it’s worth it to send a mass email to this group of coaches. I’m sure they have an idea of what happened, but if a bunch of fans from around the country start sending emails with concerns about gaming the system they may be more likely to bury Coleman in the coaches ranking. Just a thought. 

10 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Yeah, for these matches to count, they had to walk out on the mat, have the ref blow the whistle, and then immediately default (correct me if I am wrong). If guys were too injured to wrestle, they shouldn't have walked out on the mat. And if I guy was too sick to wrestle, he shouldn't have been in the ****ing tournament. But all of that would defeat the purpose of this sham tournament. Sending out "sick" or "injured" backups to immediately default so the starter can get a fake win surely violates something. If not, at least his peach card gets revoked after this.

It would be interesting to get some details of the seeding meeting from this tournament. Hard to believe some of this wasn't planned out in advance. And maybe the reason that Dresser and Metcalf stayed home for an open tournament instead of going to a scheduled dual was to make sure everything went to plan.

It was a total sham even if it wasn't seeded which it wasn't.You would still separate the talent no way Coleman and Sebastian would meet in round 2 after a Sebastian bye.Just wrong to do in the sport of wrestling it's a tough sport and we get everything we earn unless you go to the Dresser Sham Open where everyone wins

Edited by calot

5 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I wonder if it’s worth it to send a mass email to this group of coaches. I’m sure they have an idea of what happened, but if a bunch of fans from around the country start sending emails with concerns about gaming the system they may be more likely to bury Coleman in the coaches ranking. Just a thought. 

Agree it would help that's why I posted the names.What Dresser did infuriates me and has no place in our sport.Total scumbag move on his part.

Pinnum -  

As a long-time D1 fan, I completely understand what you are saying.

It doesn’t change the fact that Dresser’s actions last weekend regarding the Dual & ISU Last Chance were despicable, unethical, & bad for D1 Wrestling.

Coaches aren’t paid to do what is in the best interest of D1 wrestling.  They are paid to do what is good for their school and to win.  

The NCAA structure needs to have incentives that will result in the actions that are “good for D1 wrestling” if coaches are to respond.  

All the coaches we complain about are acting rationally and in their best interest.   I can’t blame them.  If it is within the rules they should exploit it. 

The system needs massive reform. 

Just now, Pinnum said:

Coaches aren’t paid to do what is in the best interest of D1 wrestling.  They are paid to do what is good for their school and to win.  

The NCAA structure needs to have incentives that will result in the actions that are “good for D1 wrestling” if coaches are to respond.  

All the coaches we complain about are acting rationally and in their best interest.   I can’t blame them.  If it is within the rules they should exploit it. 

Exactly.  Coaches are paid to win, not win with character and hard work.  The hard work can't be avoided, but the high level winning is tightly correlated with strategic cheating and rule manipulation.

41 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Exactly.  Coaches are paid to win, not win with character and hard work.  The hard work can't be avoided, but the high level winning is tightly correlated with strategic cheating and rule manipulation.

Just never thought that Wrestling would get like this thought our sport had more integrity then that.RTCs  have made the arms race  real recruits with cellphones and prepaid credit cards what's next.Wrestling has gone over the ledge.Hope this situation with fixing matches will stop it now.But I have a feeling FLO will make a joke of it today.Like nothing to see here move along. Are you ok with recruits getting phones and prepaid credit cards if someone found away around the rules thru  RTCs ?

Edited by calot

43 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

Agree the coaches poll needs to be eliminated.The emails that change hands this week between coaches cutting deals is sickening.The old you vote for my 125 and I will vote for your 174.The texts and phone calls cutting deals is enough to make you puke

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But doesn't that impact his winning % which could impact his seed at NCAA's?

Not worried about his seed at NCAA need the spot allocated.He will be in coaches poll top 30 and be in RPI now top 30 which will get him silver and allocate a spot.He can make the seed position up by beating guys at the big 10 tournament

Edited by calot