TheMetronome

Labriola/Skatzka

Watching the match, in particular the replay, it appears that Labriola was being choked by Skatzka. Labriola also vomited, which could be due to a number of causes but circumstance says otherwise. My question to the forum is, whether or not this should be reported to a higher level of the officiating governing body, given there was no response during the actual occurrence during the match? 

5 hours ago, TheMetronome said:

Watching the match, in particular the replay, it appears that Labriola was being choked by Skatzka. Labriola also vomited, which could be due to a number of causes but circumstance says otherwise. My question to the forum is, whether or not this should be reported to a higher level of the officiating governing body, given there was no response during the actual occurrence during the match? 

I watch alot of MMA and it's clear by the expression on Mikeys face - he was being choked, albeit probably unintentionally. What gets me, why didnt the coach ask for a review. Here's where the brick was justified! Hope Labriola is ok.

4 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I watch alot of MMA and it's clear by the expression on Mikeys face - he was being choked, albeit probably unintentionally. What gets me, why didnt the coach ask for a review. Here's where the brick was justified! Hope Labriola is ok.

Yeah, but what can you hope for with the challenge brick?  Just a break long enough for Labriola to catch a breath? Or to try to lobby for an illegal hold/choke? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to understand your angle.

Man, I LOVED choking the **** out of guys with my headlock, and my headlock was NASTY. Do they still let kids pull that arm so tight they can choke their opponent?

Edited by TobusRex

Yes please notify the authorities!

It happens. If it did occur it’s unintentional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i dont think he choked him for any length of time..

when he was trying to get the wing over i thought it was weird that he just grabbed him by the throat.. but didn't really think much of it

1 hour ago, RavishingRickRude said:

Reasonable, unbiased response.

From the Same school that said Brayton Lee's destruction of Jimmy Hoffman's knee was not illegal, when it sure was illegal, and probably intentional. Probably set  Back JH's results by a level or two the rest of his career

4 minutes ago, RichB said:

From the Same school that said Brayton Lee's destruction of Jimmy Hoffman's knee was not illegal, when it sure was illegal, and probably intentional. Probably set  Back JH's results by a level or two the rest of his career

"Setting back results by a level or two the rest of his career" seems a ridiculous statement since the kid was back a month later.

21 minutes ago, RichB said:

This is conjecture. Your bias is determining intent. 

I don’t know either guy and I personally have multiple life long medical issues (nothing that bad...that makes it sound worse than it is) so I feel for Hoffman, but this wasn’t Desanto attacking a kimura type thing

Hoffman beat Maurica 4-1 at Journeyman,  but after injury, TB against Army, Almost defaulted in a 2-1 win at Penn, and only 5-4 over Maurica this time.

If you don't think a knee injury, to a healthy knee has a career effect on a wrestler, you must be new to the sport.

The Minnesota coaching staff's decision to complain about the call instead of be apologetic, is, (they received a warning) is sufficient for me to suggest a deliberate act.

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

I’m saying he is fine and this conspiracy theory needs to end

Hoffman almost Defaulted 3 days ago, from the knee. Obviously no long term damage. 

Thanks for the replies. I do think that an arm hold across the throat that likely causes vomiting is excessive. When the ref saw this, it should have been stopped. I agree with TobusRex in that the brick would have resulted in an adverse outcome for the thrower. Toby is clearly biased though with the  “...I LOVED choking the **** out of guys” comment...

Is him vomiting in the video?  I didn't notice that.   It looked a little awkward around 6:38 of the video which was before he even went over, but hard to tell if he was actually being choked.   He also seemed fine afterwards.

11 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

If the ref sees a wrestler vomit, the match stops immediately.   It looks like he might have upchucked, but he was in an uncomfortable and sweat almost immediately into the third.  The arm across the throat had nothing to with it.

Here is the match

https://youtu.be/FBFuAySFjXg

When was the vomit?  I watched it and didn't see much 

10 hours ago, GingaJ said:

Kind of reminded me of a children’s tourney when little kids are always complaining about being choked when they’re going to their back. Thought this was college wrestling? 

It is college wrestling, and chokes are either illegal or potentially dangerous.

It’s all good, wrestling is a demanding sport so I hear and respect the comments made by folks here. If you watch the match that followed when it was on Big Ten network, you get a direct look at the loss of gastric contents when they show a brief replay. The YouTube video above doesn’t capture it. Regardless, the potential rematch at Big Ten’s should be fun.