Sign in to follow this  
Iscored2onu

Fantasy Matchup - Spencer Lee vs Yojiro Uetake

44 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Haha, my dad (who wrestled for Slippery Rock during the Gable years), is always flabbergasted when I show him videos of wrestling from back then.  He just can’t believe how bad and sloppy even the stars were.

Anyone who thinks Uetake could beat Spencer, or even keep it close, are just crazy.

You're worse than cinnabons 

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

Haha, my dad (who wrestled for Slippery Rock during the Gable years), is always flabbergasted when I show him videos of wrestling from back then.  He just can’t believe how bad and sloppy even the stars were.

Anyone who thinks Uetake could beat Spencer, or even keep it close, are just crazy.

So in 2076 I will look back at Spencer Lee and find it hard to believe how bad and sloppy he was.

20 minutes ago, Idaho said:

So in 2076 I will look back at Spencer Lee and find it hard to believe how bad and sloppy he was.

This right here.  

It's impossible to compare 2 different eras, but it sure is fun.  I tried to articulate that we would need to level the playing field for our fantasy matchups, but some missed it.  77 year old Spencer Lee better bring his A-game to beat 21 year old YoSpencer Li

3q2vom.gifvia Imgflip GIF Maker

I thought the OP was stating all things being equal as in similar training, access,  etc. If we are just looking at skill levels. It wouldn’t be close. I don’t think many of you realize how much better athletes of today are. Low AA’s of today would be 3x champions of the 60s

8 minutes ago, Force118 said:

I thought the OP was stating all things being equal as in similar training, access,  etc. If we are just looking at skill levels. It wouldn’t be close. I don’t think many of you realize how much better athletes of today are. Low AA’s of today would be 3x champions of the 60s

Haha love the vault.  Yes, that’s what I mean when taking Lee.  If they were both born the same time I could see someone favoring Uetake.

Silly comparison.  Is Lee undefeated in folk & freestyle? Didn't think so. If the match were in CHA, Uetake would pin Lee.  Why you ask?  Well because he'd probably get called for stalling in Carver, read up on what happens when he is called for stalling.  If the match were anywhere else Uetake would win by ~6-1 because he "wouldn't want to embarrass" Lee.  

If Uetake were wrestling today he'd still be the best ever and more dominate with the better training of today and more opportunity to wrestle.  Much of the same technic used then is succesfull today but there are now more opportunities/options.  Some rules have changed but I don't see any rule changes that would impact Uetake's style/approach.  

4 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Have you watched him wrestle?  His technique (and everyone else’s 60 years ago) is atrocious.  He stands flat footed, has no motion, elbows out and gives up inside position from neutral.  Mat wrestling is basically sliding around on their knees and hanging on to a leg, or drapes over the arms.  They’re pretty awful and look like a first year junior high wrestler. 

Spencer would rag doll him in under 2 minutes.  

Image result for jack nicholson laughing gif

4 hours ago, Force118 said:

Yes and Yianni would crush Dan Gable.......

Edited: comparing skill levels only-

Lee would beat Uetake and Yianni would cruise over Gable. The scrambling ability alone of guys today would give anyone pre askren fits

Are you serious? You think Askren invented scrambling? I hate to break it to you but I was a superb scrambler of the funkiest variety, and the last time I stepped on the mat Askren hadn't been born yet, and I was just one of many. 

Edited by TobusRex

55 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Are you serious? You think Askren invented scrambling? I hate to break it to you but I was a superb scrambler of the funkiest variety, and the last time I stepped on the mat Askren hadn't been born yet, and I was just one of many. 

What does Askren and scrambling have to do with this??

3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Did you see your message in my post? No? That means I wasn't addressing you. 

Who cares who you were addressing.  Scrambling has nothing to do with why Lee would destroy Uetake.  There would be no need to scramble.

2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Who cares who you were addressing.  Scrambling has nothing to do with why Lee would destroy Uetake.  There would be no need to scramble.

You are an idiot. If you can't follow the conversation kindly refrain from addressing me in the future. Nevermind, I'll take care of that myself. 

Just now, TobusRex said:

You are an idiot. If you can't follow the conversation kindly refrain from addressing me in the future. Nevermind, I'll take care of that myself. 

I’m an idiot because you think your scrambling ability means Uetake could beat Lee?  Alright, sure man, whatever.

Yojo by at least three, depending on how big a margin he wants. He did not run up the score and did not embarrass opponents. There was one match when a ref called him for stalling and it caused him some shame. He want after it hard. I talked with the loser of that match and all he will say is "he hurt me bad" - and did not like talking about the match, even a few decades later.

As his coach Myron Roderick said: " I never saw him tested on the mat".

After he finished competing at OSU he was a graduate assistant. Would get very frustrated with the wrestlers since few could keep up with his drills and warmups. Add in he is a good guy with no ego problems and was always willing to help if asked.

Given todays training and such nothing would change. He would still be head and shoulders above the competition.

Lee is very good but Yojo was better than that.

5 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I’m an idiot because you think your scrambling ability means Uetake could beat Lee?  Alright, sure man, whatever.

I was addressing Force118. What in the hell made you think I was addressing you, I even had his msg in my response?  So, you can see..YOU ARE INDEED AN IDIOT. 

3 hours ago, Force118 said:

So I keep getting a facebook advertisement for US Olympics with a picture of a male Gymnast. Funfact NFHSA says there are 1580 male HS gymnasts in the country, 247,000 Male HS wrestlers. 150+ to 1.  Girls Gymnastics, 18,000 girls, Wrestling 21,000 Girls. Yet USA Olympics pushes Gymnastics, and was willing to let wrestling die in the Olympics

Edited by RichB

This is a great topic. The sport should keep evolving and advancing though, or what’s the point? Anybody saying Yojo would win is failing to realize how far the sport has come. Lee would win by tech in the first round, no problem. Anybody saying otherwise should keep telling the kids to get off their lawn.

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

You were the askren of jv wrestling some say.

45 minutes ago, ExBSUfan said:

This is a great topic. The sport should keep evolving and advancing though, or what’s the point? Anybody saying Yojo would win is failing to realize how far the sport has come. Lee would win by tech in the first round, no problem. Anybody saying otherwise should keep telling the kids to get off their lawn.

Uetake wasn't just another wrestler though. He didn't just win against college boys, by whatever margin he wanted, he did it his full 3 years. Lee is great and I like the kid, but to say he'd tech Uetake in under 2 minutes is just flat out nuts.  Plus you can't judge all those guys by looking at old grainy videos. Guys adopt diff stances all the time on the mat, hell, I nearly stood straight up against a few guys. Depends on what the opponent does sometimes. 

Edited by TobusRex