Sign in to follow this  
Iscored2onu

Fantasy Matchup - Spencer Lee vs Yojiro Uetake

7 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Uetake wasn't just another wrestler though. He didn't just win against college boys, by whatever margin he wanted, he did it his full 3 years. Lee is great and I like the kid, but to say he'd tech Uetake in under 2 minutes is just flat out nuts.  Plus you can't judge all those guys by looking at old grainy videos. Guys adopt diff stances all the time on the mat, hell, I nearly stood straight up against a few guys. Depends on what the opponent does sometimes. 

I don’t think it’s nuts at all. To think that the technique of today isn’t more advanced and better than the technique of the 60’s is just living in the glory days. I’m also not saying Yojo isn’t an all time great. But the sport evolves, as it should, and thinking Yojo would even last a round with the current greats of today is nuts to me.

2 minutes ago, ExBSUfan said:

I don’t think it’s nuts at all. To think that the technique of today isn’t more advanced and better than the technique of the 60’s is just living in the glory days. I’m also not saying Yojo isn’t an all time great. But the sport evolves, as it should, and thinking Yojo would even last a round with the current greats of today is nuts to me.

Technique changes. Human bodies and physics don't. 

3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Oh. Is that what I said? Wow,  I must be pretty skilled to write something completely different and that msg also gets across. 

I never said that’s what you said. Did you miss the question mark at the end? I’m asking for clarification of what you meant. 

10 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Mokoma, I apologize for getting so angry earlier. Not cool. Took you off "bad" list.  Stop smoking that Spencer Crack!

Apology accepted.

If the OP was asking if both were born in same area, then picking Uetake makes sense.  

If you ask me, Yojo's stalling style is way ahead of the 2020 style; he follows or lures his opponent toward the edge of the mat, then stops wrestling and side skips the long way back to the center, stands straight up, takes a breath, and waits for opponent to come to him.....over and over.  Why can't nowaday wrestlers figure that out?  By shuffling back to center like that, you are burning up the clock AND you are obeying the ref's constant chant of "Circle back in!"  So how could the ref call you for stalling?  

49579495897_8b1b59fdff_o_d.jpg

Example above:  Yojo disengages, stands straight up, looks toward center and side skips back there...over and over again.  It is almost backing away, but not quite.  This still shot is not returning to center after going off the mat, it is during the match, clock is running.... opponent's body language is saying "WTF?"  Ref is tired of it too, but can't call stalling because Yojo is staying center mat.  Ingenious!

9 hours ago, ExBSUfan said:

I never said that’s what you said. Did you miss the question mark at the end? I’m asking for clarification of what you meant. 

What I was implying is that wrestling has been around a long, long time and not as much changes as people think. The only thing Spencer really does is tilts. Spencer probably couldn't take Uetake down (hardly anybody ever took him down), he probably couldn't ride him, and might not even be able to escape if he goes under Uetake. Hard to do tilts when you don't have a chance to ride.  I think Uetake would beat Spencer in all 3 positions. 

Also, I don't know how I feel about tilts. Seems cheap, like that stupid gator roll in FS where you lock up the front headlock and roll , picking up NF points with each roll. Tilts aren't quite that cheap, but they are CLOSE. 

Edited by TobusRex

The photo of Yojo looking at the mat center before moving to it was normal for him. Wrestling from the center too away a lot of the edge wrestling opponents wanted to do against him. He could initiate moves with more mat space available to finish them. He controlled the mat from the center rather than playing the edge so he could crawl out if he got in trouble.