Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Arizona State vs. North Carolina - Today at 2 p.m. ET

According to the North Carolina press release on this dual the following are the probable starters for NC and ASU

North Carolina Probables

125: Joey Melendez
133: Jaime Hernandez 
141: No. 12 Zach Sherman
149: No. 3 Austin O'Connor
157: No. 16 A.C. Headlee OR Josh McClure
165: No. 13 Kennedy Monday OR Sawyer Davidson
174: Clay Lautt
184: Joey Mazzara
197: Brandon Whitman
285: Andrew Gunning OR Keaton Kluever

Arizona State Probables

125: No. 8 Brandon Courtney
133: Josh Kramer 
141: Navonte Demison or Cory Crooks
149: Josh Maruca or Dillon Ulrey
157: No. 12  Jacori Teemer
165: No. 6 Josh Shields
174: No. 9 Anthony Valencia
184: Cade Belshay or Austin Clayton
197: No. 9 Kordell Norfleet
285: No. 4 Tanner Hall

At the very least it looks like ASU wins at least six of these matchups today (125, 157, 165, 174, 197 and 285)

10 minutes ago, Bronco said:

According to the North Carolina press release on this dual the following are the probable starters for NC and ASU

North Carolina Probables

125: Joey Melendez
133: Jaime Hernandez 
141: No. 12 Zach Sherman
149: No. 3 Austin O'Connor
157: No. 16 A.C. Headlee OR Josh McClure
165: No. 13 Kennedy Monday OR Sawyer Davidson
174: Clay Lautt
184: Joey Mazzara
197: Brandon Whitman
285: Andrew Gunning OR Keaton Kluever

Arizona State Probables

125: No. 8 Brandon Courtney
133: Josh Kramer 
141: Navonte Demison or Cory Crooks
149: Josh Maruca or Dillon Ulrey
157: No. 12  Jacori Teemer
165: No. 6 Josh Shields
174: No. 9 Anthony Valencia
184: Cade Belshay or Austin Clayton
197: No. 9 Kordell Norfleet
285: No. 4 Tanner Hall

At the very least it looks like ASU wins at least six of these matchups today (125, 157, 165, 174, 197 and 285)

Looks like a good dual on paper. ASU should still win even without “he who cannot be named” going today. I’d say UNC has an upset chance at 157 as Headlee loves to beat guys he’s an underdog against and then lose against guys he should beat. Monday hasn’t gone in the last couple duals so it’ll be interesting to see if he’s back today. I think ASU is pretty solidly favored at 125, 165, 174, 197, and heavy. If UNC can steal 157 it’ll come down to bonus points and I could see it going either way. 

I have seen many of Teemers matches. He’s a fantastic wrestler. And he will he favored today to beat Headlee. But I’ve also seen every match of Headlees career and I know his tendencies very well. Today he’s celebrating his senior day as well. I think those two will have an excellent match. 

I'd agree that that match could go either way.  I've just seen too many of Teemer's matches this season to not believe he'll win.  HOWEVER..............I have been known to be wrong on occasion.  It HAS happened.

Teemer pulled off a miracle win on Friday vs. Lehigh's # 7 ranked Josh Humphreys with an amazing move in the last few seconds of that match to win it 8-7.  And Teemer's only a RS Freshman this season.

Regardless I'll be watching it on my TV at noon today (MT).

Edited by Bronco
add

3 hours ago, Tommy Payan said:

I tried that Tommy but it said I wasn't authorized to watch it.  Likely because my internet provider is Sparklight (used to be CableOne).   No matter I was able to watch Arizona State win seven of the ten matches on my TV via SlingTV and the ACC Extra channel. 

And they won the dual without he whose name we are apparently forbidden to mention.  Heaven forbid someone wants to talk about something that's already in the public domain (thanks to the Arizona online newspaper article) and big news in wrestling (on a wrestling forum).  No, no, no, we certainly can't have that here.

I was really impressed by the telecast done by either North Carolina or the A.C.C.  My one and only "bitch" is the fact that both the audio and the video would sporadically cut out.  Sometimes both at the same time.  Other than that it was great.

Oh and the officiating in that dual was excellent as well.  So much better than what I saw in the Cal Poly vs. Oregon State dual earlier this weekend.

ASU's black hole only lost by a combined 5 points today, too bad it was the last dual of the year.

Arizona State 22, North Carolina 9

125: Brandon Courtney (Arizona State) dec Joey Melendez (North Carolina), 6-3

133: Jaime Hernandez (North Carolina) dec Josh Kramer (Arizona State), 7-6

141: Zach Sherman (North Carolina) dec Cory Crooks (Arizona State), 4-2

149: Austin O'Connor (North Carolina) dec Josh Maruca (Arizona State), 4-2

157: Jacori Teemer (Arizona State) dec AC Headlee (North Carolina), 3-2

165: Josh Shields (Arizona State) dec Kennedy Monday (North Carolina), 6-2

174: Anthony Valencia (Arizona State) maj dec Clay Lautt (North Carolina), 10-2

184: Cade Belshay (Arizona State) dec Joey Mazzara (North Carolina), 8-6

197: Kordell Norflett (Arizona State) dec Brandon Whitman (North Carolina), 10-5

285: Tanner Hall (Arizona State) dec Andrew Gunning (North Carolina), 2-1

Edited by Tommy Payan
details

Really amazing performance. ASU is peaking at the right time. 

they have 7 legitimate AAs,  but I’d say 4 at best have a shot at top 4 and most likely it’s 1or 2. 

Thry csn podium with 4/7 AAs, but they need a champ in there (20 points) and enough bonus to cover 1 more AA. 

With Zahid, it’s very possible if they wrestle like they have the past 2 weeks. Without him they will need 5 or 6 AAs and at least 2 in the top 4...unlikely

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

they have 7 legitimate AAs,  but I’d say 4 at best have a shot at top 4 and most likely it’s 1or 2. 

Thry csn podium with 4/7 AAs, but they need a champ in there (20 points) and enough bonus to cover 1 more AA. 

With Zahid, it’s very possible if they wrestle like they have the past 2 weeks. Without him they will need 5 or 6 AAs and at least 2 in the top 4...unlikely

Are we allowed, on these here forums, to ask who won the 184lb match?  ;_;

Just able to watch after having some afternoon plans. ASU came out ready to battle and UNC came out the most flat I’ve seen them this season since the Stanford dual. ASU looked really really really good at every weight. It blows my mind that Maruca is now 8-12 on the season. O’Conner has been on an absolute tear this past month or so and Maruca was in the match with him until the final whistle. Maruca does a lot of subtle savvy things to slow opposing wrestlers down. 

The Teemer vs Headlee match is an instant classic from this season. Lots of fireworks at the end of regulation and in OT. Teemer is a beast though. Hats off to him and the entire ASU program for coming ready to fight today. 

9 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Just able to watch after having some afternoon plans. ASU came out ready to battle and UNC came out the most flat I’ve seen them this season since the Stanford dual. ASU looked really really really good at every weight. It blows my mind that Maruca is now 8-12 on the season. O’Conner has been on an absolute tear this past month or so and Maruca was in the match with him until the final whistle. Maruca does a lot of subtle savvy things to slow opposing wrestlers down. 

The Teemer vs Headlee match is an instant classic from this season. Lots of fireworks at the end of regulation and in OT. Teemer is a beast though. Hats off to him and the entire ASU program for coming ready to fight today. 

I'm hoping this match is posted to YouTube!  

"The Teemer vs Headlee match is an instant classic from this season. Lots of fireworks at the end of regulation and in OT. Teemer is a beast though. Hats off to him and the entire ASU program for coming ready to fight today."

Seriously? Neither guy did anything for nine minutes then Teemer pulled off a nice scramble move in the second SV when Headlee got a little off balance for the only 12 seconds of action in the whole match. It was the least interesting match of the dual besides the Hwy snoozefest. 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

They weren't that impressive against Lehigh with or without ZV.  They started the season on fire with the win over Penn State. I think they have 2 legitimate AA - Shields and Hall. Courtney, Teemer, Norfleet  and A Valencia are all borderline. Depends on which versions of Norfleet and Valencia show up. They could go either way IMO. 

33 minutes ago, jvsuperstar said:

"The Teemer vs Headlee match is an instant classic from this season. Lots of fireworks at the end of regulation and in OT. Teemer is a beast though. Hats off to him and the entire ASU program for coming ready to fight today."

Seriously? Neither guy did anything for nine minutes then Teemer pulled off a nice scramble move in the second SV when Headlee got a little off balance for the only 12 seconds of action in the whole match. It was the least interesting match of the dual besides the Hwy snoozefest. 

Well I thought it was an entertaining clash of styles. Especially the scramble at the end of the 3rd period that neither guy scored on. Teemer won the OT scramble and that was the difference in the match. 

I hope if they meet again the final score is 25-24 with lots of takedowns, turns, and crappy defense so you can be more entertained next time :)