Sign in to follow this  
irani

Idea to improve the olympics format

I understand that wrestling was under pressure to reduce the number of wrestlers and shorten the competition time. UWW's response was to reduce the weight classes from 10 to 6, and limit the entries to 16 per weight class for a total of 16 participants in each weight class the men's divisions, for a total 96 participants in each of the men's styles.

The above solution is obviously flawed, and creates a situation where one of Snyder/Cox, Drake/JB will not go to the olympics.

I believe there is a better solution.  This solution is also flawed, but I believe it's better.

Keep the 10 weights, and limit the entries to 12 (top 4 get a bye in the first round, for a total of 120 athletes), if that is too many, then keep the 10 weights, and allow 10 athletes per weight class for a total of 100 entries (almost the same 96), and if that is too much, then do 10 classes with 8 entries.  I know this is also flawed, half the entrants would leave with medals, but I this is solution is less flawed than the existing one.

While I have the podium, let me also state that I think it's really really stupid that FS and GR weight classes are from each other.  Are you kidding me?  They could not agree to the same weight classes?

Edited by irani

I would prefer it if there were less overall wrestlers but more weights as long as you keep the top guys but they won't do it because they want as many countries to win medals as possible. Same reason they have double bronze which is a joke and makes 0 sense.  They don't want every podium to be some mix of Russia,Japan,USA,Iran,Azerbaijan,Georgia, etc.

I'm not sure what the exact reason is for the different weights in GR and FS but I don't think it  has anything to do with not being able to agree to weights. Maybe they think wrestlers will see that the  number of weight classes is so low and choose a style to wrestle  based off of their bodyweight? Lol.

52 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

I'm not sure what the exact reason is for the different weights in GR and FS but I don't think it  has anything to do with not being able to agree to weights. Maybe they think wrestlers will see that the  number of weight classes is so low and choose a style to wrestle  based off of their bodyweight? Lol.

I cannot imagine any logical reason why the two wrestling styles would have different weight classes

16 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

I think they should add more weights, make it a 24 man/woman bracket and expand the repechage.  

I think we would all prefer that, but given the constraints imposed by the Olympics, I am trying to propose an alternative to the current approach

23 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

One of the issues was reducing not only numbers but medals awarded.  With the reduction in weights, we were, though, allowed the double bronze, which a number of combat sports do.  Politics, politics, politics...

Fair point, as always coach J.

I would say give us 10 weights, and will reduce the medal by having only one bronze.  

I am even willing to have 10 weights, and no bronze if that helps!

When women were brought into the Olympics, wrestling was not going to be given any additional medals; as I recall, we were forced to scale back from 20 weights between FS and GR to 18, then to 18 total for MFS, GR, and WFS combined.  But feel relieved, we saved the 200 swimming events and are adding pole dancing!

1 minute ago, Coach_J said:

When women were brought into the Olympics, wrestling was not going to be given any additional medals; as I recall, we were forced to scale back from 20 weights between FS and GR to 18, then to 18 total for MFS, GR, and WFS combined.  But feel relieved, we saved the 200 swimming events and are adding pole dancing!

Personally, I would get rid of the following sports

1. Anything with the world rhythmic in it
  2. Anything with the work Synchronized in it
  3. Any sports that involves weapons
  4. Sports that are only popular in a small % of countries (e.g, baseball)
  5. Any sport that involves animals.

I would also reduce the number of swimming events, and number of Gymnastics events.   In weightlifting,you have show strength in two unrelated areas, and you only get one medal at the end of you complete both events successfully.  In gymnastics, you get one medal for each of the 4-5 areas, and then you have an overall medal

13 minutes ago, irani said:

I would also reduce the number of swimming events, and number of Gymnastics events.   In weightlifting,you have show strength in two unrelated areas, and you only get one medal at the end of you complete both events successfully.  In gymnastics, you get one medal for each of the 4-5 areas, and then you have an overall medal

But you damn well better keep pole dancing!

20 minutes ago, irani said:

Baseball ( and softball) have already been removed ..

Baseball is actually popular in lots of places... Besides US, the carribean, south and Central America, and the far East, plus Mexico and Canada

23 minutes ago, irani said:

BTW , I agree work all your points, but rid of baseball because it is boring. 

I also think they need to get rid of sports that an Olympic medal is not the Pinnacle achievement. Along with baseball you can get rid of tennis, golf, soccer 

1 hour ago, Coach_J said:

One of the issues was reducing not only numbers but medals awarded.  With the reduction in weights, we were, though, allowed the double bronze, which a number of combat sports do.  Politics, politics, politics...

Maybe all combat sports... Boxing and judo do. 

In boxing two bronzes make sense, because they just got to the semi final losers

3 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Baseball is actually popular in lots of places... Besides US, the carribean, south and Central America, and the far East, plus Mexico and Canada

yes, it is not popular in Europe, Africa, middle east, and Asia outside of Japan, and perhaps one or two other countries in Asia

2 minutes ago, Jim L said:

BTW , I agree work all your points, but rid of baseball because it is boring. 

I also think they need to get rid of sports that an Olympic medal is not the Pinnacle achievement. Along with baseball you can get rid of tennis, golf, soccer 

Great points, although I am torn on your point in soccer.  In Olympics soccer male competitors must be under 23 years old, and since 1996, players under 23 years old, with three over-23 year old players, are allowed per squad, so countries have used it to show case their young players.  In case of women's soccer, the teams in the olympics are exactly the same as the ones in the world cup, so no reason to remove women's soccer

12 minutes ago, irani said:

yes, it is not popular in Europe, Africa, middle east, and Asia outside of Japan, and perhaps one or two other countries in Asia

Definitely popular in South Korea and Taiwan, plus Philippines (I think) 

Many other Olympic sports have less would wide popularity. Olympics are definitely euro centric. I would think the vast majority of Olympic sports have little following in India, china, Africa or South America, 

Just now, Jim L said:

Definitely popular in South Korea and Taiwan, plus Philippines (I think) 

Many other Olympic sports have less would wide popularity. Olympics are definitely euro centric. I would think the vast majority of Olympic sports have little following in India, china, Africa or South America, 

I cannot disagree with anything you wrote here.

The number one sport in India is Cricket.  I hope the god they don't put that in the Olympics

15 minutes ago, irani said:

Great points, although I am torn on your point in soccer.  In Olympics soccer male competitors must be under 23 years old, and since 1996, players under 23 years old, with three over-23 year old players, are allowed per squad, so countries have used it to show case their young players.  In case of women's soccer, the teams in the olympics are exactly the same as the ones in the world cup, so no reason to remove women's soccer

So men's Olympic soccer is the most important JV soccer tournament? Winning an Olympic medal should be the ultimate achievement in sport

I love the Olympics, but the movement is so sorry for so many reasons. My big issue is that they sold their soul food the massive tv broadcasting right. Which is why we see endless gymnastics swimming and diving. Plus all the human interest stories. The network needs to cater to the non sports fans. Suckers like me are going to watch anyways.

Last Olympics, my satellite company had a dispute with nbc and I was blacked out from the main coverage for the first week, but still had all the secondary channels available (MSNBC, CNBC etc) and it was fantastic. I saw lots of "minor" sports that I never followed but they were fantastic. Table tennis, badminton, archery, and especially weightlifting are all great to watch

52 minutes ago, Jim L said:

I love the Olympics, but the movement is so sorry for so many reasons. My big issue is that they sold their soul food the massive tv broadcasting right. Which is why we see endless gymnastics swimming and diving. Plus all the human interest stories. The network needs to cater to the non sports fans. Suckers like me are going to watch anyways.

Last Olympics, my satellite company had a dispute with nbc and I was blacked out from the main coverage for the first week, but still had all the secondary channels available (MSNBC, CNBC etc) and it was fantastic. I saw lots of "minor" sports that I never followed but they were fantastic. Table tennis, badminton, archery, and especially weightlifting are all great to watch

The use of multiple channels, and the choice to watch sports you want to, instead of just the popular ones, is fantastic.  I think and It hope it will be even better in the future with all the streaming options available.

If there were true third matches for a single bronze medal, we could have 8 weight classes with the same total # of medals as under the double bronze system by only adding one extra match per weight. Moving to 9 weight classes with true thirds would result in only 3 more medals than we have today. That would likely reduce the distribution of medals across countries, but 8-9 weight classes per style sounds much better than 6.

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

I thought baseball and softball were supposed to be back for Tokyo